quicksave and quickload do not work

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
mond
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

quicksave and quickload do not work

Post by mond »

"SAVE GAME" from the Pause screen, Qucik Save by F6, both are displayed as "NO QUICKSAVE" and do not work. Qucik Load is also the same.
The operating environment is Retropie version tested in both 4.3 and 4.4 SDLPOP versions 1.17 and 1.18.1 both tested Of course, the quicksave in SDLPoP.ini is set to 'true'
Please tell me if anyone has a solution.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: quicksave and quickload do not work

Post by Norbert »

mond wrote: May 28th, 2018, 10:26 am "SAVE GAME" from the Pause screen, Qucik Save by F6, both are displayed as "NO QUICKSAVE" and do not work. Qucik Load is also the same.
The operating environment is Retropie version tested in both 4.3 and 4.4 SDLPOP versions 1.17 and 1.18.1 both tested Of course, the quicksave in SDLPoP.ini is set to 'true'
Please tell me if anyone has a solution.
There are other people on this forum who will be better able to help you, but at first glance I'd guess the game's directory within the RetroPie environment might not be writable. RetroPie's setup script for SDLPoP moves some customizable and non-static files to a user-owned (non-root/system) directory, including PRINCE.SAV, but not QUICKSAVE.SAV. What happens if you press Ctrl+Tab twice and then enter a filename? This should save a replay, but may also fail within RetroPie, because replays/ cannot be created. Same thing for screenshots (screenshot.png and screenshots/) and menu settings (SDLPoP.cfg). In fact, my suspicion seems to be confirmed by this GitHub issue, which states that saving did not work until a "symlink" was created. You could re-open that GitHub ticket and point to my post.
mond
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by mond »

I appreciate your advice. Thank you very much.
"REPLAY SAVED" is displayed, but it does not seem to be saved well.
I'm sorry, could you tell me how to write Symlink's paths and filenames?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

mond wrote: May 29th, 2018, 6:30 pmcould you tell me how to write Symlink's paths and filenames?
If you have enough Linux skills you might be able to do it yourself.
You'd have to create a QUICKSAVE.SAV in the user directory that already contains PRINCE.SAV.
For instance with:
$ touch QUICKSAVE.SAV
Then, as root (or whoever has rights in the SDLPoP game dir), from inside the SDLPoP game directory, run:
# ln -s <full_path_to_user_dir>/QUICKSAVE.SAV QUICKSAVE.SAV

However, it might be better to help not just yourself but everyone who might run into this.
You could do this by using a GitHub account to (re)open this ticket and pointing to this post there.
They will understand what needs to happen.
Of course, it might take some time before you'll be able to use the updated RetroPie setup.

I guess you could try both. :)
mond
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by mond »

QUICKSAVE now finally works!
I'm really thankful to you!