Lvl 1 guard bug

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
Roman
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Lvl 1 guard bug

Post by Roman »

Hey guys. Recently got this bug that I apparently couldn't skip the guard on lvl 1 anymore. At first I just kept trying thinking I was playing bad and doing something wrong. Then after failing like a hundred times in a row (normally this trick takes me like 3-4 tries) I started to suspect something was to do with the game instead so I reverted all my settings to default - didn't help. So I recorded the footage of me trying it (link: https://youtu.be/DLJU3HsoKkw) and compared with other people doing it only to find I was doing everything the same as them (pixel-to-pixel correlation). So my suspicions were confirmed, and here I am now asking for help. Any ideas how to fix it?
doppelganger
Vizier
Vizier

Re: Lvl 1 guard bug

Post by doppelganger »

Here are two SDLPop (1.23) recordings of me pulling off the trick, one after dropping down along with the loose floor, and the other after climbing down after the loose floor already fell.

This is what I followed (Tutorial made for DOS, so it doesn't seem like there's any SDLPop bugs):

Attachments
climb_down.p1r
trick after climbing down after the loose floor fell
(3.84 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
grab_drop.p1r
trick after dropping down along with loose floor
(3.84 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Doppelgänger
Hmm.. These mortals know about me.. :evil:

Download 'Hell of A Palace' now from Popot!
Roman
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Roman »

Thank you for a quick response! As a newcomer, I was a little worried I would go unnoticed or the people wouldn't care about me, etc. But now I feel relieved, tysm :)

I am fairly certain I've watched this yt vid in the past. But I forgot about its existence and therefore didn't check whether I still followed the recommendations or not. That's on me for sure

But I'm still a little curious about it. The recordings I used as reference were those of top any% runners like Higlak and Esteban (aka uvq3tsa). And they sure have their own way of getting past the 1st room, but they always seem to start running from that pixel (1st scenario in Timothy's vid). How exactly are they able to still perform the trick then?
Can I ask you to explain it a little further (or maybe send another video)? Would love to know more about it

Also, your replays don't really want to work. When I try to watch them, the screen is filled with random objects (always new ones) and the kid moves around a little and then dies as there are many holes in the ground, spikes, etc.
But it's fine, you don't have to redo them. I think I'll cope without them. But I appreciate your effort :)

Thanks again, you were indeed very helpful
doppelganger
Vizier
Vizier

Post by doppelganger »

Roman wrote: December 26th, 2023, 7:11 pmAlso, your replays don't really want to work. When I try to watch them, the screen is filled with random objects (always new ones) and the kid moves around a little and then dies as there are many holes in the ground, spikes, etc.
They work fine for me. :? (SDLPop 1.23 Windows). Do you use the same version?

As for why the trick doesn't work, I'm currently looking at Higlak's WR video:

And it seems to me you're jumping earlier than him. (Play at 0.25x speed) The way I pull off the trick scenario-one is slightly delay my first jump, so that I hear three footsteps (dada - daaa) while jumping and not two (daaa daaa).
Attachments
Comparison.png
Last edited by doppelganger on December 26th, 2023, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doppelgänger
Hmm.. These mortals know about me.. :evil:

Download 'Hell of A Palace' now from Popot!
Roman
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Roman »

I've just noticed I still have 1.22 apparently. Makes sense then

Yeah, I've seen this delay. But I assumed it made no difference. The guard moves to the same position and I do the second jump from the same spot. Do you really think this slightly earlier entry is the reason? I'll try it out a bit later and let you know

Sorry for not quoting, I'm still figuring out the scary interface
Roman
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Roman »

So, after trying it out for a little I think I got the gist of your three-step method. But it still feels very inconsistent as there are like 3 different three-step patterns (and for 2 of them I managed to do the skip a couple times). Need to start practicing this thing now apparently.

And I still have no clue why I used to do it so effortlessly.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Roman wrote: December 26th, 2023, 8:20 pm [...]
And I still have no clue why I used to do it so effortlessly.
I'm late, but this one helped me a lot. I'm still unable to do it effortlessly, but the following video helped me a lot:

Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)