Prince of Persia MSU-1

Discuss PoP1 for SNES here.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Prince of Persia MSU-1

Post by Shauing »

A comment on my Menu music arrangement video (www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc7lVYdD7YA) said that I should insert this arrangement on a MSU-1 version of my mod. While I have my reservations about how well it fits and blends with the SNES look and feel, I nevertheless went to investigate about it. Turns out, almost a year ago, two guys did a MSU-1 version of the SNES Prince of Persia:
www.zeldix.net/t1704-prince-of-persia

They used music from the Sega Mega CD and PC Engine ports, along with a few of the original SNES tracks to fill the music, as the SNES port has more levels and music than other ports and because there is no official arranged versions of the SNES music. Myself, I have found very, very few arrangements made by people.
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Prince of Persia MSU-1

Post by Norbert »

Shauing wrote: April 27th, 2019, 11:45 pmtwo guys did a MSU-1 version of the SNES Prince of Persia: [...]
I'm reading the Media Streaming Unit 1 is an expansion chip designed by byuu, giving the SNES the ability to use CD-quality background music.

And I see that Conn created a MSU1 patch for PoP, and Relikk created two packages with PCM files:
1. one with just Sega Mega CD music,
2. one with both Sega Mega CD and PC Engine (TurboGrafx) CD music.

Getting this to work is not very user-friendly. I managed to find the required port, a patch program, and applied the patch. But ZSNES seems unwilling to use the PCM files. The Snes9x source package doesn't ship with easily findable compilation instructions for Linux, so I just gave up. Not worth the hassle.

The reactions seem to be that, while the MSU1 patching is technically impressive, people prefer the original SNES music.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Re: Prince of Persia MSU-1

Post by Shauing »

Norbert wrote: April 28th, 2019, 11:25 pm
Getting this to work is not very user-friendly. I managed to find the required port, a patch program, and applied the patch. But ZSNES seems unwilling to use the PCM files. The Snes9x source package doesn't ship with easily findable compilation instructions for Linux, so I just gave up. Not worth the hassle.

The reactions seem to be that, while the MSU1 patching is technically impressive, people prefer the original SNES music.
I managed to run it properly on Snes9X. It is amazing that such music quality can be played on the SNES, and though I do like a few of the music themes of the Sega CD (like the guard fight music), I agree with them that the SNES music its better. Hmm, this gives me an idea.
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174