Hacking the SNES ROM

Discuss PoP1 for SNES here.
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Re: Hacking the SNES ROM

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Sorry about that... I was originally recording headered offsets [offset+200(hex)] which is why you are seeing that x8786 while the rest are in the x8500s. It is now evident that I had forgotten to subtract the 200(hex) from this one and possibly others. I apologize for the inconvenience. Below is the corrected "Portion of Warp" section:

-Potion of Warp:
x856E = Prince will be taken to this room
  • x8573 = Direction Prince will be facing ($FF = left, $00 = right)
    x8578 = Prince will be placed on this column
    • x8586 = Prince will be placed on this row
    Iso
    Sheikh
    Sheikh

Post by Iso »

Thank your sir. I feel like a kid in a candy store with all of the extra modding capabilities via hex editing.

Edit: Alright I have another question, this is probably a bit far-fetched but do you think it would be possible to have an open switch trigger the falling skulls from the level 17 boss?
    Kaslghnoon
    Sultan
    Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Iso wrote:Thank your sir. I feel like a kid in a candy store with all of the extra modding capabilities via hex editing.
    You're very welcome and thank you for taking the time to make mods of this game.
    Iso wrote:this is probably a bit far-fetched but do you think it would be possible to have an open switch trigger the falling skulls from the level 17 boss?
    For me it is far-fetched at the moment but it wouldn't surprise me if someone other than David or myself gradually rose to the occasion to fill the knowledge gaps we have here.

x13F13 is the beginning offset of the falling skull event if anyone wants to disassemble.
    robert
    Sultan
    Sultan

Post by robert »

I have a problem, when I change values to cut the hot effect of level 10 nothing happens, it still has the hot effect. Just for testing, I changed the other values of the same level to CC, but they still remain like I didn't change anything. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe it's not as simple as you told ;).Can you help me Kaslghnoon? :D
    This will be my face if you can't win any of my mods
    spartacus735
    Wise Scribe
    Wise Scribe

Post by spartacus735 »

have you close pr1snesleved brefore save with translextion ?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/spartacus735 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the channel of prince of persia snes mod
    Iso
    Sheikh
    Sheikh

Post by Iso »

I downloaded a fresh version of rom and disabled the hot effect on level 10 no problem. If you're using the hex editor and level editor at the same time, you don't need to close them but each time you 'save' on one you need to re-open the rom in the other one.
    Iso
    Sheikh
    Sheikh

Post by Iso »

Kaslghnoon wrote: -Disable battle music:
    x1136B to $32
    x1136E to $01
    Changing 1136B seems to crash the game and I think 1136E to 01 just disables the battle music in level 2.
    robert
    Sultan
    Sultan

Post by robert »

Iso wrote:I downloaded a fresh version of rom and disabled the hot effect on level 10 no problem. If you're using the hex editor and level editor at the same time, you don't need to close them but each time you 'save' on one you need to re-open the rom in the other one.
    Ok, I'll try what you said
    Kaslghnoon
    Sultan
    Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Iso wrote:
    Kaslghnoon wrote: -Disable battle music:
    x1136B to $32
    x1136E to $01
    Changing 1136B seems to crash the game and I think 1136E to 01 just disables the battle music in level 2.
    Great catch Iso! To disable battle music on all levels of the hacked "0.smc" version, make these changes:

x1136A to $AD
    x1136B to $32
    x1136C to $05
    x1136E to $01

Note: The 'Disable battle music' hack does not work at level 17 when fighting the 4-armed boss.

Now that it seems like robert's issue is taken care of, I will address migrating a mod to 0.smc in my next post.
    Kaslghnoon
    Sultan
    Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Migrate your modified level designs, graphics, and edited palette work to the 0.smc version:

Instead of manually redrawing tiles, recreating palettes and exporting/importing levels one by one, you can follow these steps below to successfully migrate your work to the 0.smc version.

1) Open your mod with Translhextion
    2) If the value of the first offset x00000000 is $18, proceed to step 8. If the value of the first offset x00000000 is $80, proceed to step 3
    3) Ctrl+Home on the keyboard
    4) Ctrl+e on the keyboard
    5) Modify the value of "Select up to and including offset:" from x0 to x1ff, click 'OK'
    6) Press 'Delete' on the keyboard, click 'OK'
    7) Now you have successfully removed the header, to verify you should see the value of the first offset x00000000 is $18
    8) Ctrl+g on the keyboard
    9) Enter x20000
    10) Ctrl+Shift+End on the keyboard
    11) Ctrl+Shift+o on the keyboard
    12) Save the output under any name and any file extension of your choosing, for example "MyLevels.dat" or "May27.hex"...
    13) Close Translhextion, save if changes were made by the header removal
    14) Open 0.smc with Translhextion, download if you have to http://www.freewebs.com/kaslghnoon/0.smc
    15) Ctrl+g on the keyboard
    16) Enter x20000
    17) Ctrl+Shift+End on the keyboard
    18) Ctrl+Shift+f on the keyboard
    19) Change the "Fill selection with" drop-down from 'Input' to 'File'
    20) Click browse and locate your exported file from step 12, click 'OK'
    21) Depending on the CPU and RAM of your computer, step 20 will take anywhere from 1-10 seconds. If Translhextion froze or crashed after step 20 then I would say it's time to either do some maintenance/cleanup/upgrade on your system or use/build/buy a better computer.
    22) Save
    23) Test 0.smc, if successful: Save and close Translhextion. If no changes were made, refer back to a previous step, correct as needed
    24) The above procedure migrates level design, level graphics, all palettes, and altered music (to be introduced sometime in the future). You still need to manually migrate level type, level music, guard hit points, guard settings, and guard palettes using Pr1SnesLevEd. Also if you had made any simple hex edits to your mod using Translhextion, they all need to be re-done when switching over to the advanced 0.smc ROM.

Guard settings can be only complicated migration that I can think of. If you guys request, I can also write a procedure for migrating guard settings using Translhextion. For now I hope the above procedure can manage to save you guys from a potentially dreadful migration.
    Iso
    Sheikh
    Sheikh

Post by Iso »

Thanks for your quick replies, your help is much appreciated.

Being able to disable the title screen and start the game on any level really makes play-testing much easier.
    robert
    Sultan
    Sultan

Post by robert »

Really apreciate your help Kashlgnoon!

Good news! I've figured out how to cut hot effect in my rom. In my rom the offset was x04FEF, not x04DEF like most other roms. Maybe the changed palettes modified the position of the value in other offset.
    Anyway, thank you Iso, Kash and spart ;)
    robert
    Sultan
    Sultan

Post by robert »

I have a(nother) problem. I want the prince start with no sword in level 10, then he has to find it but it doesn't matter. The thing is that the values in my rom are different from the hacked rom, so the specific offsets show other different values, and I can't find a way to identify the correct values in hexademical, neither in text. In the hacked rom the values of the offset are all CC, which means there are all deactivated. In my rom there are no CC values anywhere around :?
    David
    The Prince of Persia
    The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

robert wrote:In my rom the offset was x04FEF, not x04DEF like most other roms.
    Then your rom probably has a header.
    robert wrote:I have a(nother) problem. I want the prince start with no sword in level 10, then he has to find it but it doesn't matter.
    Do you want to use "More "no-sword" levels in addition to level 1"? It's available only in the hacked rom (0.smc).
    robert wrote:The thing is that the values in my rom are different from the hacked rom, so the specific offsets show other different values, and I can't find a way to identify the correct values in hexademical, neither in text. In the hacked rom the values of the offset are all CC, which means there are all deactivated. In my rom there are no CC values anywhere around :?
    The hacked rom (0.smc) has some code added to areas that are unused in the original.
    Kaslghnoon
    Sultan
    Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Problem: Konami screen does not load after editing level graphics using Pr1SnesLevEd

Temporary solution:

Option (A) Skip the Konami screen: x1802B to $A8
    Option (B) Follow these steps:

1) Make a backup copy of your mod
    2) Open your mod with Translhextion
    3) Ctrl+f on the keyboard
    4) Enter: <bh:01><bh:ff><bh:c0><bh:00><bh:0c><bh:00><bh:fe>
    5) With values being highlighted, press these keys on the keyboard in the correct order:
    Right arrow, Tab, Right arrow, Right Arrow, Right Arrow, 0
    6) Save and test

If you had previously skipped the Konami and Title screens using the "x1801C to $01" hack, you may not even have realized that you've had this problem. Set x1801C back to $00 to check for a possible Konami screen corruption.