Level editor for the SNES version

A modern Prince of Persia 1 for SNES level editor for Windows.
AuraDragon
Sultan
Sultan

Re: Level editor for the SNES version

Post by AuraDragon »

Found something that should be documented, the often used Room 255 uses purely tile index 255 (ironicly, sarcastically :roll: ), which needs to be a wall attribute tile with the repeating wall tile and the background brick pattern to make it look 3D. This is required to some extent.

Also for some reason now my Open Switches break when they are hit with loose tiles.. >_<
I post on the forum at weird times of the day
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

hey David, could you make the editor so after you clear a room, and click on a tile, you can tell which one it is from the other. It's hard to tell which tile you are working on. And another thing, could you give the option to keep the tiles in the left pull-down bar after clearing the whole level? You'll probably not get what I'm saying because I'm not good at explaining things, but try to. Thanks.
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

I have problems with the new version. I have a European version of PoP SNES, and loading it works just fine, but when I select a level, I either get an error message ("C++ Exception!") or it freezes up and I have to close it. Where the heck's the problem?
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Tristan
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Tristan »

Last edited by Tristan on January 10th, 2010, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

tristan1993 wrote:Please dont use what the heck but what the hell
Where do you take the right to tell someone what words to use in stead of others?!
tristan1993 wrote:and here follow the inst. viewtopic.php?f=63&t=1778
This doesn't help me. I have issues with the level editor, not the ROM.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

mk1995 wrote:I have a European version of PoP SNES, and loading it works just fine, but when I select a level, I either get an error message ("C++ Exception!") or it freezes up and I have to close it.
Well, the problem is that you have headerless SMC files, but I tested the editor with headered SMC files only.
I've fixed the bug, now the program checks the file size before opening.
I've also added AuraDragon's tips from the SNES Level Editor tips and complications\changes topic to readme.txt.

The link is the same: http://www.freeweb.hu/princepersia/en/snesedit_dl.htm
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Thanks. I'll download it immediately.

One question, though. Where's the difference between ROMs with header and headerless ROMs? Except for the file size, of course...
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

I wrote:hey David, could you make the editor so after you clear a room, and click on a tile, you can tell which one it is from the other. It's hard to tell which tile you are working on. And another thing, could you give the option to keep the tiles in the left pull-down bar after clearing the whole level? You'll probably not get what I'm saying because I'm not good at explaining things, but try to. Thanks.
Could you give an option of having these fixed?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

mk1995 wrote:One question, though. Where's the difference between ROMs with header and headerless ROMs? Except for the file size, of course...
Well, in headered ROMs, all the data is preceded by a 512-byte header, which increases the address of everything by 512.
When a headerless ROM is opened in the old version of the editor, it searches things at wrong addresses, so it can't open the level.
AuraDragon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by AuraDragon »

Ah, so that's why, it all makes sense now. ^_^
I post on the forum at weird times of the day
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

(quotes from viewtopic.php?p=6207#p6207)
Eagle-Head Priest 97 wrote:AuraDragon and I have found a way to bring the impaled death into the game. It involves a teleport and a guard. That's all I can remember at the moment...
AuraDragon wrote:I thought it required a gate and a teleport adjacent to each other? Adjacent as in the Teleport and then the closed gate right beside to the right.
More exactly: A closed gate 2 tiles right to the teleport you arrive to, but this doesn't always work. It worked for me only if one of the teleports is 4 tiles right and 1 tile below the other.
Another method is a closed gate or a wall left to the teleport you enter, you need to be on the left side of the teleport.
It's strange that the Prince won't move but won't die either - I mean he won't lose any hit points!
Another strange thing is that if you enter a teleport, the tile above-left will be pressed, and if you arrive to a teleport, the tile above will be pressed.
This works for opener, closer and loose floor.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Could someone upload a video of that or give pictures of the room constructions and death so I can get a better imagination, please?
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

AuraDragon can, though I'm occupied by a virus.
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

THANK YOU DAVID! YOU ROCK! Thanks to you, AuraDragon and I are the first people in the history of mankind to make a full mod of the SNES version of Prince of Persia! YAHOOOO!!!
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

And I'm the first person to have ever published a PoP2 MOD. So you're not the only modding pioneers.