Prince Of Persia - 30th Anniversary Port

Shauing
Calif
Calif

Prince Of Persia - 30th Anniversary Port

Post by Shauing »

After 8-and-a-half months of semi-consistent work, here it is at last, my second SNES mod: A port of the DOS version, to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Prince of Persia.

The original SNES port of Prince of Persia was an expanded version of the original Apple II/DOS, where it extended the game up to 20 levels, and it got a graphical, audio and gameplay overhaul, as well as new bosses, traps and more. But this also meant that SNES users and players never received the original game like every other console or PC had...until now.
Not only the original 12-14 levels have been recreated, but the gameplay, color palettes, sounds and music from the DOS version has been adapted as well to this mod as much as it was possible.

Version 1.1.5 has been released:
Download link here (an .IPS patch, apply it to a non-headered ROM): https://bit.ly/PoP30th115

Change from v1.1:
- Removed the coloring of hit star sprites, because it messed up the background colors on real hardware.

List of changes from v1.0:
- A few graphical and minor gameplay changes for a more faithful adaptation of the DOS port.
- One wall column remnant removed.
- One door closed by mistake fixed.
- One level start facing direction fixed.

Changes from V1.0.5:
- More graphical changes adapted from DOS port.
- Passwords to empty levels are now invalid.
Last edited by David on July 18th, 2021, 10:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Added change from v1.1
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Prince Of Persia - 30th Anniversary Port

Post by Norbert »

Nice.
I've played through it, and (other than maybe the invisible tiles after merging with the shadow) there was really just one thing that reminded me I was playing the SNES version and that was the ninja somersault by the mouse. ;)
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Congratulations Shauing on your completion of this project. We are grateful to you, David, Norbert, and the beloved community for all your hard work.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

Norbert wrote: May 29th, 2020, 6:15 pm Nice.
I've played through it, and (other than maybe the invisible tiles after merging with the shadow) there was really just one thing that reminded me I was playing the SNES version and that was the ninja somersault by the mouse. ;)
I'm very happy you played it all the way through it!
Oh yeah, I would change them if I can figure out how could the mouse just flip back from where it came instead of the somersault jump, and that the invisible tiles remain visible and display the proper level floor tile.
By the way, here's three extra screenshots you can add for popot.org if you want (nice screenshots you took by the way!):
PoP30th - Screen 1.png
PoP30th - Screen 1.png (18.9 KiB) Viewed 8057 times
PoP30th - Screen 2.png
PoP30th - Screen 2.png (9.89 KiB) Viewed 8057 times
PoP30th - Screen 3.png
PoP30th - Screen 3.png (14.27 KiB) Viewed 8057 times
Kaslghnoon wrote: May 29th, 2020, 7:46 pm Congratulations Shauing on your completion of this project. We are grateful to you, David, Norbert, and the beloved community for all your hard work.
Hey! Nice to see you again Kaslghnoon, thank so much for your comments, but I am grateful to all of you for helping me in my two mods. I hope you do have the time to play this one.
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Post by NITM-T »

Congratulations in finished one more mod, Shauing! I was waiting to play that one since I don't play much the DOS version, heh. Alas, I couldn't do it since I've never understood that "head" thing, that's why I only post the modified ROMs 'cause I don't know how to do an IPS file, either.
So, my question is, what do I need to do? I searched for tutorials (which wouldn't change a thing since I really don't undestand the "inside" of the games) and they say something about the file size...
USA PoP: 1.00MB (1.049.088 bytes) / size on disk: 1.00MB (1.052.672 bytes).
0 ROM (Kaslghnoon), both size & size on disk are: 1.00MB (1.048.576 bytes).

I use Floating IPS to patch and I first tried on 0 ROM which crashed in the demo and then, in the game itself. Sometimes resets, then crashes. So, I thought: maybe's like one of those Super Mario World mods which only works on SNES9X (mine's snes9x1.53-FuSoYa-8MB_R1), but, I always play on ZSNES (zsnesw151-FuSoYa-8MB_R2).
In the SNES9X, don't even start. Then, I thought again: maybe's because 0 ROM has that "bad checksum", but the original is "checksum ok". SMW mods that I've, doesn't work with that "bad checksum" thing, but wasn't the case for your mod. So, I downloaded both snestl12 (which Windows 10 doesn't accept anymore, like too old *sigh* and nsrt34w, which I didn't have a clue where to start (no shit) :roll:

On Super Metroid site, I saw that we can change that via hex. It seems we've to change the beginning or something, but, I only copy and paste what you guys type here, so, can you show me which are those hexs I've to change, please? And which ROM I've to do that. Thank you in advance!
May the Moon light your path.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

NITM-T wrote: May 30th, 2020, 11:19 am Alas, I couldn't do it since I've never understood that "head" thing, that's why I only post the modified ROMs 'cause I don't know how to do an IPS file, either.
You can download the mod as a ROM image from PoPOT: https://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=S000026
I recommend this method.

EDIT: In case you'd like to know how to use the IPS file:
You should use PoP1_US.smc from here: https://www.popot.org/get_the_games.php?game=1_SNES
NITM-T wrote: May 30th, 2020, 11:19 am So, my question is, what do I need to do? I searched for tutorials (which wouldn't change a thing since I really don't undestand the "inside" of the games) and they say something about the file size...
USA PoP: 1.00MB (1.049.088 bytes) / size on disk: 1.00MB (1.052.672 bytes).
0 ROM (Kaslghnoon), both size & size on disk are: 1.00MB (1.048.576 bytes).

I use Floating IPS to patch and I first tried on 0 ROM which crashed in the demo and then, in the game itself. Sometimes resets, then crashes.
Although Kaslghnoon's 0 ROM has the right size, it's not the original game.
It contains some extra code at places where the original ROM has zeroes.
Now, Shauing's mod adds different codes to the same places. This is why the patched 0 ROM will crash.
NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Post by NITM-T »

Tsk, I didn't tried there thinking would be the same thing... Thank you very much, David! Now it's time to have some fun with an old beloved game with a "new" face, hahaha.

Thanks! I'd do some tests with IPS to learn more about those things.

Indeed. I believe I did read something alike in his posts in that other thread about hacking SNES version. And or course, I was following the progress, but couldn't figure it out by myself in the end, heh.
NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Post by NITM-T »

Amazing mod, dude! I liked it a lot ^_^. Congrats one more time!

These're things that was hoping for:
Getting down at the beginning in the 1st level, HP as →, colors for each guard's HP and the last of it blinking for both hero and enemies. Blood on death, the scream, songs and SE, just a few, but it counts already :cool:
Shadow running as we go through the mirror, his music at the end of his level, the "mouse's music" with the Princess.
The finals levels without music, without ending, like we were just passing to another room. Those "Shadow's tiles" which I wanted to my TKotD and you said you figure out just by the level editor! I really don't know how to use those tools, hahaha.
The ending was really cool that way! Was really awesome to play that mod! Thank you for such beautiful work!

Well, I've some lines about somethings you may want to take a look. I said before that I was following the progress, but probably, I'll say something stupid, so, I'm sorry for that. Here they're:
Spoiler: show
Scenarios with skulls from original SNES game, detailed walls and not "solid", default background instead those black ones. This last one might not be cool since DOS has some kind of light, it is brighter that SNES and has some small details there, too.
Guards has voice in your mod (although on DOS there is a glitch which Jaffar yells like the Prince, hahaha). Can't you mute them with CC hex or something?
Level 2 with the brown dungeon because of the columns at the beginning. There're other with different level type, but, we don't have enough tools, so, we're forced to do that... (this means nothing, I'm just saying).
Restart the levels fast after dying. We can do this on DOS without wainting the song. But, could be possible for SNES?
Colors of the guards' damage. Like they HPs, hit them also shows the same color on DOS.
Skull walks after being knocked down once in DOS, level 3. On SNES, it stays halt, waiting for you.
Scream is interrupted by hitting a wall in the mod. On DOS, the same is happens if there is a door sound (this one isn't important, too).
The side that the Prince starts the levels (I didn't pay attention to all, but, I saw in level 4).
Shadow's HP appears in the mod in level 5 and in before his battle, too. Stepping on the right button (same level and room) makes him appear faster and goes through the door and both buttons have the same trigger, there.
Looses moves even at distance on DOS. Level 7, room 5 for example. There's a loose there which, when press ↑, it moves even with a wall and a hole, there.
Shadow's HP doesn't decrease on DOS when he's attacking the Prince. On SNES, we die faster since he loses HP by attacking us, as well.
Did you use all the guards? In the Jaffar level, you'd put a guard without HP, so he "dies" on the button 'cause we can hear the sound of the button being pressed when leaving and entering the rooms.
Against Jaffar, did you try to use one of those Blue/Red Knights? They "enter" into "battle mode" only when the song ends, like Jaffar from DOS. That "knight" Jaffar's already in battle mode from start. The music repeats in DOS everytime we left and returned from his room, but for me, that is a glitch, heh.
The door only opens when we return there and not for killing Jaffar. You'd use another room there and a guard to open it or make a hack for it.

I didn't pay much attention in this first gameplay, but, I did see these:

You put one more column in that place in level 4 and that door in level 7 is closed. Also, the word in that line when we die starts with capital letters, less "to" on DOS. And Weren't you able to put those lines below like on DOS? All them, levels, time, that line on the prints, they're below

Once again, I'm sorry if I said bullshit, but, I believe you'd like to take a look on a few of them.
Now, let us wait for the v2.5 of Prince of Persia: The Queen Of Light! Are you bring us new hacks or just some improvements?
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

NITM-T wrote: May 30th, 2020, 7:09 pm Amazing mod, dude! I liked it a lot ^_^. Congrats one more time!

These're things that was hoping for:
Getting down at the beginning in the 1st level, HP as →, colors for each guard's HP and the last of it blinking for both hero and enemies. Blood on death, the scream, songs and SE, just a few, but it counts already :cool:
Shadow running as we go through the mirror, his music at the end of his level, the "mouse's music" with the Princess.
The finals levels without music, without ending, like we were just passing to another room. Those "Shadow's tiles" which I wanted to my TKotD and you said you figure out just by the level editor! I really don't know how to use those tools, hahaha.
The ending was really cool that way! Was really awesome to play that mod! Thank you for such beautiful work!
Thank you! Hope you did manage to beat it!
NITM-T wrote: May 30th, 2020, 7:09 pm Well, I've some lines about somethings you may want to take a look. I said before that I was following the progress, but probably, I'll say something stupid, so, I'm sorry for that. Here they're:
Scenarios with skulls from original SNES game, detailed walls and not "solid", default background instead those black ones. This last one might not be cool since DOS has some kind of light, it is brighter that SNES and has some small details there, too.
I initially was trying to do this level with the gray palace tileset as it has less detail and even tried to recreate the almost black walls, but wasn't too convinced.
NITM-T wrote: May 30th, 2020, 7:09 pm
Guards has voice in your mod (although on DOS there is a glitch which Jaffar yells like the Prince, hahaha). Can't you mute them with CC hex or something?
I could try, but I would find it weird that the Prince has voice when hurt but not the guards, plus there's no ''smack'' sound when you hit a guard.

Level 2 with the brown dungeon because of the columns at the beginning. There're other with different level type, but, we don't have enough tools, so, we're forced to do that... (this means nothing, I'm just saying).
Yeah, right now there's not much we can do. I would have loved to continue to use the blue dungeon type, but it has no columns.
Restart the levels fast after dying. We can do this on DOS without wainting the song. But, could be possible for SNES?
I think? Alternatively, you can pause and wait for the music to end.
Colors of the guards' damage. Like they HPs, hit them also shows the same color on DOS.
I don't understand this one, sorry.
Skull walks after being knocked down once in DOS, level 3. On SNES, it stays halt, waiting for you.
Good catch, though because the SNES is faster, you will probably get killed by the skull.
Scream is interrupted by hitting a wall in the mod. On DOS, the same is happens if there is a door sound (this one isn't important, too).
Yeah, the game has sound priorities.
The side that the Prince starts the levels (I didn't pay attention to all, but, I saw in level 4).
Good catch. I think the rest are fine, I will double-check.
Shadow's HP appears in the mod in level 5 and in before his battle, too. Stepping on the right button (same level and room) makes him appear faster and goes through the door and both buttons have the same trigger, there.
While I could hide his HP in Level 5, I cannot make him go much slower or otherwise he won't grab the potion and stand there. Nice catch on the buttons trigger.
Looses moves even at distance on DOS. Level 7, room 5 for example. There's a loose there which, when press ↑, it moves even with a wall and a hole, there.
Hmm. Probably it was seen too unrealistic that your feet are so powerful that it can shake loose floors that are beyond walls and holes, lol.
Shadow's HP doesn't decrease on DOS when he's attacking the Prince. On SNES, we die faster since he loses HP by attacking us, as well.
Actually, it does decrease as well on DOS.
Did you use all the guards? In the Jaffar level, you'd put a guard without HP, so he "dies" on the button 'cause we can hear the sound of the button being pressed when leaving and entering the rooms.
Yes, there was no other way to activate the loose tiles, and didn't want to bother David to hack stuff that I could pull off.
Against Jaffar, did you try to use one of those Blue/Red Knights? They "enter" into "battle mode" only when the song ends, like Jaffar from DOS. That "knight" Jaffar's already in battle mode from start. The music repeats in DOS everytime we left and returned from his room, but for me, that is a glitch, heh.
Yeah, but the Prince has to be stunned as well, otherwise you could one-hit kill Jaffar.
The door only opens when we return there and not for killing Jaffar. You'd use another room there and a guard to open it or make a hack for it.
Don't know if a delay can be applied, there was a lot of hacking involved to make Jaffar only open the door and stop the timer.
I didn't pay much attention in this first gameplay, but, I did see these:

You put one more column in that place in level 4 and that door in level 7 is closed. Also, the word in that line when we die starts with capital letters, less "to" on DOS. And Weren't you able to put those lines below like on DOS? All them, levels, time, that line on the prints, they're below
That first one is a ''how did I not catch that?'' To be fair, when I made the level originally, it had one more column on the last six rooms from top to bottom, and I noticed only at the very end of the mod's development and thought I changed every room. Seems I missed that one. Oops.
Yeah, I missed that door as well.
I'll check if I can modify the text on that one (I think I can).
NITM-T wrote: May 30th, 2020, 7:09 pm Once again, I'm sorry if I said bullshit, but, I believe you'd like to take a look on a few of them.
Now, let us wait for the v2.5 of Prince of Persia: The Queen Of Light! Are you bring us new hacks or just some improvements?
Hey, no problem. I am glad that there's someone so keen to find any possible flaw in the mod.
It has a few new gfx (not on the Prince or Princess sadly, space limitations), some graphical fixes, some other softlocks fixed, slightly easier Level 8 (you can backtrack and access most rooms, but some will still loop you back), a few important changes, and a 75 minute time limit. I found out it's almost next-to-impossible to beat it with just a few deaths; I'm trying to balance it out a little.
NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Post by NITM-T »

Well, you did such a hard work, so, I was just trying to help you with those. That door in level 7, that could or couldn't be a problem 'cause we can get the Life Potion easy over there instead run and jump before the door close in the other side. But, it'd to be open like the original one. So, you're welcome.
And sorry for the "engrish", again. You didn't catch at first, but, you got it later that I was talking about the hit damage which have the same color of their clothes and HP.
Since you already made new questions in the other thread and explained other to me, there're no points to say, again. But the guards' voice, I know you don't want to change, but, I said that 'cause I thought you were trying to make your mod as similar as possible to DOS version, y'know? The CC hex leaves the hit SE there, but mute the guards' voice. Although, I think it has some flaw like, the sound goes up and down or something. But is an old history now that I got your point.

About the Shadows, here's a video with the 2 versions:

As I said, Shadow from DOS doesn't hurt himself by attacking the Prince. On SNES, we can die easier if he attack us 4 times.

There's just one more thing I'd like to say, if you don't mind, which I, particularly, don't like on DOS. In "battle mode" Prince only go left or right step by step. In other words, we need to keep pressing ← or → to make him walk. On SNES, we just need to hold these buttons and he'll walk back and forth like we do to run. It won't be missed to me if you don't put it, hahaha.

I see. Those're good stuff you're doing for TQOL! I'll be wainting for the news. Good luck!
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

NITM-T wrote: May 31st, 2020, 7:48 am Well, you did such a hard work, so, I was just trying to help you with those. That door in level 7, that could or couldn't be a problem 'cause we can get the Life Potion easy over there instead run and jump before the door close in the other side. But, it'd to be open like the original one. So, you're welcome.
And sorry for the "engrish", again. You didn't catch at first, but, you got it later that I was talking about the hit damage which have the same color of their clothes and HP.
Yeah, I think I got the latter one by re-reading it.
NITM-T wrote: May 31st, 2020, 7:48 am Since you already made new questions in the other thread and explained other to me, there're no points to say, again. But the guards' voice, I know you don't want to change, but, I said that 'cause I thought you were trying to make your mod as similar as possible to DOS version, y'know? The CC hex leaves the hit SE there, but mute the guards' voice. Although, I think it has some flaw like, the sound goes up and down or something. But is an old history now that I got your point.
If I mute the guards voice, there is no ''hit'' sound like on DOS, thus it makes sense I keep the guard's voice instead as a replacement. Also, I would have to insert another sample and I already did lots of hacking to add one more value for the Prince scream and moved the instruments sample and music data to allow space for the scream sound. Also, there's almost no space left there to insert another sample due to the new graphics I inserted on the remaining free space there.
NITM-T wrote: May 31st, 2020, 7:48 am About the Shadows, here's a video with the 2 versions:
As I said, Shadow from DOS doesn't hurt himself by attacking the Prince. On SNES, we can die easier if he attack us 4 times.
Interesting.
NITM-T wrote: May 31st, 2020, 7:48 am There's just one more thing I'd like to say, if you don't mind, which I, particularly, don't like on DOS. In "battle mode" Prince only go left or right step by step. In other words, we need to keep pressing ← or → to make him walk. On SNES, we just need to hold these buttons and he'll walk back and forth like we do to run. It won't be missed to me if you don't put it, hahaha.
Yeah, it would be a big bother to move like that on SNES (imagine doing that on real console).
NITM-T wrote: May 31st, 2020, 7:48 am I see. Those're good stuff you're doing for TQOL! I'll be wainting for the news. Good luck!
There's still no new music as it would take me quite some time to come up with new tunes and also have faith that they actually would be good :lol:
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

I just played through your mod and it's really excellent :)

I tried a few speedrunner tricks and I wasn't surprised to see that most of them don't work on SNES (jump through guard, buffer overflow, chomper on level 9, etc) but since we can exchange place with a guard we can still save some time. I've the feeling the fights are easier on SNES than on DOS, but I'm not sure.
One trick that surprisingly wasn't working is the one with Jaffar : the prince falls with the tile without being able to hang. Maybe I did it wrong but I'm used to do it on DOS and failed twice on SNES.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

VelCheran wrote: June 7th, 2020, 8:07 pm I just played through your mod and it's really excellent :)

I tried a few speedrunner tricks and I wasn't surprised to see that most of them don't work on SNES (jump through guard, buffer overflow, chomper on level 9, etc) but since we can exchange place with a guard we can still save some time. I've the feeling the fights are easier on SNES than on DOS, but I'm not sure.
One trick that surprisingly wasn't working is the one with Jaffar : the prince falls with the tile without being able to hang. Maybe I did it wrong but I'm used to do it on DOS and failed twice on SNES.
Hey VelCheran! Glad you liked it a lot!
Some speedrunner tricks from DOS still work but are harder to pull of like the jump through guard, but yeah buffer overflow and chomper on level 9 were fixed on the original SNES release. I think the fights can be both easier and harder than DOS, as the movement is much faster and you can get them fast or they can kill you quick.
Yeah, that last trick with Jaffar doesn't work on SNES and other ports.
You can still beat it pretty quickly, not sure if under 15 minutes but close to that indeed.
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by spartacus735 »

Very impressive Shauning how did you manage your mod !

The convertion in my opinion is very accurate. How did you change the HP's image ? what the name of the tool ?

You've gained skill with this mod ! Good Job !
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/spartacus735 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the channel of prince of persia snes mod
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

spartacus735 wrote: June 10th, 2020, 10:32 pm Very impressive Shauning how did you manage your mod !

The convertion in my opinion is very accurate. How did you change the HP's image ? what the name of the tool ?

You've gained skill with this mod ! Good Job !
Hey Spartacus! Glad to see you around and thank you!
The HP image can be changed with a normal sprite tool editor; it is one of the few uncompressed sprites that can be changed. One of them is called YY-CHR, but there's others like Tile Molester or Tile Layer Pro. The sprites are located roughly at offset 051FCD.