Prince Of Persia - 30th Anniversary Port

Shauing
Calif
Calif

Re: Prince Of Persia - 30th Anniversary Port

Post by Shauing »

Emiliano Fierro wrote: September 3rd, 2020, 12:49 am Shauing, Could you please tell me what room of what level is this one?
I just don't remember it :|
Thanks
The screenshots I took were to imitate the screenshots of the box art from the Apple II/DOS and that room is not in the game.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/apple2/p ... Id,313705/
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/prin ... verId,384/
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5176/
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
Sance
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Sance »

Did two playthroughs and I think you did a wonderful job here, it's great how accurate the whole thing feels.

Two minor things though:
- The part where you have to merge with the shadow seems to be a bit buggy, there are clipping issues there sometimes.
- The SNES port's slowdown can sometimes turn up its ugly head. I know this is something you just can't do anything about but if you have some suggestions that may be able to alleviate the issue that would be great. Some emulators (I used Snes9X) have option to overlock the CPU and Super FX chip, anyone tried experimenting with that?

Anyway thank you for the hard work that must have went into this, it was a treat to play a non-existent version of the game I was always curious about while playing the SNES port. :)
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

Sance wrote: October 13th, 2020, 4:39 pm Did two playthroughs and I think you did a wonderful job here, it's great how accurate the whole thing feels.

Two minor things though:
- The part where you have to merge with the shadow seems to be a bit buggy, there are clipping issues there sometimes.
- The SNES port's slowdown can sometimes turn up its ugly head. I know this is something you just can't do anything about but if you have some suggestions that may be able to alleviate the issue that would be great. Some emulators (I used Snes9X) have option to overlock the CPU and Super FX chip, anyone tried experimenting with that?

Anyway thank you for the hard work that must have went into this, it was a treat to play a non-existent version of the game I was always curious about while playing the SNES port. :)
Hello, Sance! I'm very happy you playthrough'd my port (twice!) and that you liked it so much.
Well on the first question, I'm not sure what do you mean. What clipping/bug issues? If you could elaborate on that, please.
Yeah, slowdown is inevitable for this game and its mods/hacks, so the only thing I can come up with is indeed use the Snes9X overclock, though the music I synced it with the slowdowns that occur, so overclocking it messes up the timing intended to match the music with the visuals.
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
Sance
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Sance »

Shauing wrote: October 15th, 2020, 8:31 am
Well on the first question, I'm not sure what do you mean. What clipping/bug issues? If you could elaborate on that, please.
On the last map I fell through the platforms on the screen where you have to climb up to meet the shadow. That only happened on one of my runs but I did notice some visual clipping there too (basically the prince's legs can disappear into the platform).
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

Sance wrote: October 23rd, 2020, 5:41 pm
Shauing wrote: October 15th, 2020, 8:31 am
On the last map I fell through the platforms on the screen where you have to climb up to meet the shadow. That only happened on one of my runs but I did notice some visual clipping there too (basically the prince's legs can disappear into the platform).
Yeah, I think that happens in the original SNES game too, so nothing that I can do there really.
yourantumayel69
Calif
Calif

Post by yourantumayel69 »

Shauing wrote: May 29th, 2020, 11:32 am A port of the DOS version, to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of Prince of Persia.
Can you give me a guard palette colour? (Light Blue, Red, Orange, Green, Dark Blue, Purple, Yellow)
Pengkhotbah 3:1 (TB) Untuk segala sesuatu ada masanya, untuk apa pun di bawah langit ada waktunya.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

You can open the mod on the level editor and go to sprite palettes to get the colors of the guards you want.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

Version 1.1 has been released:
https://bit.ly/PoP30th11

Changes from V1.0.5:
- More graphical changes adapted from DOS port.
- Passwords to empty levels are now invalid.

(If possible, an administrator can update the first page post with this link). (Norbert, if you can, change the file on PoPOT.org with this one).
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Shauing wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 8:16 pm (If possible, an administrator can update the first page post with this link).
Done: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Shauing wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 8:16 pm(Norbert, if you can, change the file on PoPOT.org with this one).
Hi Shauing. Nowadays, authors can (submit and) edit their own mods. Simply login with your Shauing account, go to the mod's page, and click the "edit mod" link. Thanks.
badnest
Efendi
Efendi

Post by badnest »

I left a message on romhacking.net but I'm not sure if you got it.

I played your hack on real hardware and was having a blast with it, until it came to the first battle. Whenever I hit a guard one of the background colors changes to something else. For example, changing black (including the screen borders) into light blue. Drinking a potion or getting hit sometimes changes the colors back or to different colors again. I'll try to edit this post with a screenshot later.

This bug does not manifest on an emulator. It only seems to happen on a real SNES.

Edit: Pics taken from a TV look bad, the kid's clothes don't actually look that blazingly white, but you get the idea

Also, how did you make it so the player's corpse doesn't disappear? I searched through David's disassembly but couldn't find the related code.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

badnest wrote: July 15th, 2021, 6:13 am I left a message on romhacking.net but I'm not sure if you got it.

I played your hack on real hardware and was having a blast with it, until it came to the first battle. Whenever I hit a guard one of the background colors changes to something else. For example, changing black (including the screen borders) into light blue. Drinking a potion or getting hit sometimes changes the colors back or to different colors again. I'll try to edit this post with a screenshot later.

This bug does not manifest on an emulator. It only seems to happen on a real SNES.

Edit: Pics taken from a TV look bad, the kid's clothes don't actually look that blazingly white, but you get the idea

Also, how did you make it so the player's corpse doesn't disappear? I searched through David's disassembly but couldn't find the related code.
First of all, thank you for playing it, I'm happy you were enjoying it!

Interesting, I'll admit that I haven't tested it on real console. It might have to do with the hitpoints palette or the hit star sprite palette. Hopefully only visuals like those are the ones getting affected. I'll check if other emulators (like Higan) display this.

The code might be on the ''Hacking the SNES ROM'' thread on the POP games SNES section.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

Tested on Higan (and BSNES), and indeed, whenever you hit a guard (except the Shadow), the color on the background changes. It fixes if you die, quit the level and continue, or go to a different level. If the Prince is hit, sometimes the background also changes and the hit star has the original palette or a wrong palette (if hitting the Shadow, the hit star also changes but not the background - for what I've tested).
I think it has to do with the hit star sprite palettes, as testing on those emulators on builds before I inserted the hit star palette, the background maintained its colors.
higan 2021-07-15 14-34-40.png
higan 2021-07-15 14-36-12.png
higan 2021-07-15 14-36-30.png
higan 2021-07-15 14-36-44.png
higan 2021-07-15 14-36-57.png
higan 2021-07-15 14-37-41.png
higan 2021-07-15 14-37-51.png
higan 2021-07-15 14-37-59.png
higan 2021-07-15 14-38-15.png
higan 2021-07-15 14-40-02.png
Last edited by Shauing on July 15th, 2021, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badnest
Efendi
Efendi

Post by badnest »

I'm glad you could reproduce it on higan, that'll make it a lot easier for you to pinpoint which change is causing it. I also have a small suggestion for v1.2: Maybe remove the skeleton chained to the wall by the sword on the first level and leave only the one on the floor, to give off that "this was the sword's previous owner" vibe.

edit: The corpse hack, for future reference: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=3099&p=27000#p26996
badnest
Efendi
Efendi

Post by badnest »

Shauing wrote: July 15th, 2021, 10:10 pm I think it has to do with the hit star sprite palettes, as testing on those emulators on builds before I inserted the hit star palette, the background maintained its colors.
Sorry, I hadn't seen that part of your post. Would it be possible for you to upload a build/patch of the final version but without the new hit star palette? I really wanna play more of this but this bug makes it unplayable for me, it's just too distracting.

To be quite honest this (shared hit star/life meter palette) is one change I'm not too fond of. In my opinion it doesn't make sense in the context of the console's richer color palette. I don't think it looks very good, and if you're gonna go as far as to emulate the color limitations of the DOS version then you might as well use 6 color sprite palettes (please don't do this). That's just me though.

What I can say so far from what I've seen, you've done an impressive job with the intro modifications and syncing it up with the music. It's amazing, really. The new music (or sometimes lack of) also sounds great. Looking forward to playing more.