The Queen Of Light (SNES Mod)

Shauing
Calif
Calif

The Queen Of Light (SNES Mod)

Post by Shauing »

Here it is, my first mod. A 9 and-a-half months off-and-on work. It consists of 10 levels, and a time limit of 60 minutes.

Story: A woman has appeared in the land of Persia in search for the Princess. As she reaches the palace, something captures her attention... A foreigner who had won the Princess's heart, the Prince of Persia. Rejecting her advances, he is arrested and thrown into the castle's dungeons. It was the Princess's sister, who vanished after being denied the right to the throne. Her army locks the princess in her room of her new palace. She challenges the Prince to rescue the Princess and Persia before time runs out by fighting her, The Queen Of Light...

Please post your review/opinion, and your best times if you manage to complete the game (bad or good ending)!

Version 2.6 has been released:
https://bit.ly/PoPTQoLv26
https://bit.ly/PoPTQoL26CD

List of changes from v1.0.2:
- New custom palette colorization for the entire game (From the title screen to the end credits, background, foreground and character sprites).
- Minor aesthetic changes, mainly graphical errors fixed.
- New music for the Title Screen/Prologue and a new musical arrangement of the Menu music done by myself.
- Fixed some places where the Prince could get stuck with no way out, mainly on Training levels.
- Very few rooms with very minor changes in structure.
- Staff roll updated.

List of changes from v2.0:
- Possible softlocks on Levels 2 and 3 fixed, the latter with a new alternative puzzle.
- Some guards initial positions in Levels 1 and 6 have been changed to avoid getting hit or killed instantly.
- New background graphic to cover an out-of-place Prince sprite appearing when near a mirror on Level 6.

List of changes from v2.1:
- New graphics (mainly in the prologue).
- Removal of a pointless puzzle.
- More softlocks fixed.
- More graphical fixes.
- One level's overall difficulty reduced.
- Guards have more HP in one of the training levels.
- Time limit expanded to 90 minutes.
- A new ''casual-players difficulty'' version is included alongside the original difficulty one, aimed for less skillful players.
Differences between the original are overall less tight timed puzzles, less traps and loose floors, and checkpoints for the first two levels.

Change from V2.5:
- Passwords to empty levels are invalid now (Both versions).
Last edited by David on July 3rd, 2021, 8:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Version 2.6 has been released
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Re: The Queen Of Light (SNES Mod)

Post by NITM-T »

All right! I wanted to play a new SNES PoP mod a while already. I going to start this one right now ^_^.
Man, you even did a new demo for the game! Nice! Congrats for made this for us. I hope you can bring more in the future!
May the Moon light your path.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

NITM-T wrote: December 16th, 2018, 7:08 am All right! I wanted to play a new SNES PoP mod a while already. I going to start this one right now ^_^.
Man, you even did a new demo for the game! Nice! Congrats for made this for us. I hope you can bring more in the future!
Thanks! I expect your opinion of it! I hope so too and that you bring more as well!
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Post by NITM-T »

Just beated it, but I was not able to made it in time:

Well, first time is always like that, but I really messed up in level 7... Really don't know what I did, hahaha.
It is a good mod, pretty cool to play it. Didn't find any difficulty, unless for the level 8 since is a maze. So, next time, I'll try to save the Princess for sure.
I got 6 Life Potions, but I believe that it has more.

I thought we'd fight Jaffar twice, I mean, fight his two forms in differents places... Did you cancel that idea?
Also, I don't know if you made it on purpose, but...
Spoiler: show
is possible to die when we meet the Queen of Light, level 9. The first loose throw us to the right, so we die there.
If you did, sorry to point this.

Anyway, I liked to play it and yes, I've a few ideas for a new mod, but I still even started it. I want to make other with 20 levels, but it's hard to find so many stuff for that much levels, heh.
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

NITM-T wrote: December 16th, 2018, 3:09 pm Just beated it, but I was not able to made it in time:

Well, first time is always like that, but I really messed up in level 7... Really don't know what I did, hahaha.
It is a good mod, pretty cool to play it. Didn't find any difficulty, unless for the level 8 since is a maze. So, next time, I'll try to save the Princess for sure.
I got 6 Life Potions, but I believe that it has more.
Glad you liked it! I am somewhat surprised that you finished it already (though with the bad ending), but during the last playtests I did, I felt that this mod is perhaps good for speedrunning as it isn't too long and not really hard, though I think I made the time limit a little too tight for first-time players, though I did that based on the playthroughs.
I am more surprised that you had a hard time overall on Level 7 rather than 8.
Keep searching, you got a good number of the potions.
NITM-T wrote: December 16th, 2018, 3:09 pm I thought we'd fight Jaffar twice, I mean, fight his two forms in differents places... Did you cancel that idea?
It was going to be a Sorcerer (Jaffar in its magical phase, though I wasn't sure if I wanted to call him Jaffar, in-story he's a sorcerer for the Queen) then the fight with the Queen of Light herself (as it appears on the final release, though with a little fight first on the top of the castle before dropping inside) but couldn't make it work without hacking (David took a break at around that time) mainly due to not figuring how to cancel the - teleport to next level - to start the Jaffar's magic phase, so he got cut. Maybe I could integrate that back on a 2.0 version when David returns from his break and see if its possible to do so.
NITM-T wrote: December 16th, 2018, 3:09 pm Also, I don't know if you made it on purpose, but...
is possible to die when we meet the Queen of Light, level 9. The first loose throw us to the right, so we die there.
If you did, sorry to point this.
I knew about this, but forgot to fix it (despite rechecking the mod several times), Thank you for pointing that one. I'll fix it as soon as I can. EDIT: Fixed.
NITM-T wrote: December 16th, 2018, 3:09 pm Anyway, I liked to play it and yes, I've a few ideas for a new mod, but I still even started it. I want to make other with 20 levels, but it's hard to find so many stuff for that much levels, heh.
Thanks again and glad you enjoyed it! I hope soon you come with a new mod, and yes, I know, it is hard to have ideas for 20 levels, that's why I made 10 levels only, and yet it took me almost 10 months! :lol:
NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Post by NITM-T »

Yep. It's because, "I've all time" to play my games, in other words, unemployed/don't have a life, heh. So, when I start a game, I can go till the end, fast.
Yeah, I thought that, too. Like I said, it is not that hard, so it is good to do a speed. I did some videos about Castlevania: SotN and also, I did one for the original SNES PoP once. I could save a bit more time with the Select Trick, but I'm too lazy to do a new video, heh. I just focus myself in SotN...
I think the time is good. Once we understand the game, just need to think about a route that favors us.
Yeah, like I said, I don't know what I did. Maybe I forgot to press ESC when I got drink some water or when I went to the bathroom. It's vanished from my mind, hahaha. But, you could say that too because I used Game End option to clear the level 8 lol. So, I got a route to make it ^_^.
A few friends of my like to use only that option, but for hard mods like mine ones, save states it's the think, hahaha. But, if you've patience, is possible to beat them and the other that have here. It's like one month or two to do it, but we make sure that is possible to see the Good Ending with that option only without save states. Not that everyone would take all this time, but that depends from each person. But my mods only give you a chance to do what is necessary, then this makes people angry. It's rare to see some one to say that he/she beat my mods even with save states...
Yep, next time I'll try to find them all.

I see. That'd be cool if you guys'd do it. And I called him Jaffar because was like to say: "the Yellow Guard is now Red Guard". So, I just forgot. Then, I called by his default name to you to know or something that I was talking and stuff, heh.
Ok, it's all right. I'm not one of those beta-guys-test, but I was just trying to show you something. Not that is my place to say since my mods has some funny things that should not be there, but you know, right? We're here and we help each other ^_^.

You're welcome! Yeah, I want to keep making SNES PoP mods, but it's really hard to make 20 levels again. My last one also has only 10 and I only need a month to do it or less. A level for each day and a few more days to test routes that people may try... Was I said before: "unemployed/don't have a life", but I want to make something cool, y'know? I really liked what I did for my Shadow's Story and Twin Brother. Then, I said something stupid to salvadorc17 about TB since it is a good mod that is necessary to do a lot of tricks and that makes it hard, too much hard we'd say. But, I said to him that The Kingdom of the Dead was the hard one. That mod is only too long and has a lot of traps. Today, after Shadow's S., I want to make mods that we need to do tricks all the time because I like to do them (so, it's just because you like tricks, huh?) you guys'd say, hahaha.

Anyway, good luck for us all to bring more mods to keep those classics alive!
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by spartacus735 »

Link is dead. Where can I download it please ?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/spartacus735 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the channel of prince of persia snes mod
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

NITM-T wrote: December 17th, 2018, 8:19 am Yep. It's because, "I've all time" to play my games, in other words, unemployed/don't have a life, heh. So, when I start a game, I can go till the end, fast.
Yeah, I thought that, too. Like I said, it is not that hard, so it is good to do a speed. I did some videos about Castlevania: SotN and also, I did one for the original SNES PoP once. I could save a bit more time with the Select Trick, but I'm too lazy to do a new video, heh. I just focus myself in SotN...
I think the time is good. Once we understand the game, just need to think about a route that favors us.
I would actually love to see videos of this mod being played and speedrunned.
NITM-T wrote: December 17th, 2018, 8:19 am Yeah, like I said, I don't know what I did. Maybe I forgot to press ESC when I got drink some water or when I went to the bathroom. It's vanished from my mind, hahaha. But, you could say that too because I used Game End option to clear the level 8 lol. So, I got a route to make it ^_^.
I originally wanted to disable that option but found it pointless to do so, as there are other workarounds for it, so I decided to just make the time limit tight enough, based mainly on playthroughs I did.
NITM-T wrote: December 17th, 2018, 8:19 am A few friends of my like to use only that option, but for hard mods like mine ones, save states it's the think, hahaha. But, if you've patience, is possible to beat them and the other that have here. It's like one month or two to do it, but we make sure that is possible to see the Good Ending with that option only without save states. Not that everyone would take all this time, but that depends from each person. But my mods only give you a chance to do what is necessary, then this makes people angry. It's rare to see some one to say that he/she beat my mods even with save states...
I admire your ability to do mods at such fast pace and with some creative ideas for the puzzles and ambiance for the levels (though some limited to one type of level for the entire game). I have to admit though, I don't like that they are way too tight to the point that one tiny mistake means repeating the level again. I wanted to avoid using any save states, but it seems that the intention is that they are obligatory.
NITM-T wrote: December 17th, 2018, 8:19 am Yep, next time I'll try to find them all.
I hope you find them all!
NITM-T wrote: December 17th, 2018, 8:19 am I see. That'd be cool if you guys'd do it. And I called him Jaffar because was like to say: "the Yellow Guard is now Red Guard". So, I just forgot. Then, I called by his default name to you to know or something that I was talking and stuff, heh.
Haha. It's okay, everybody knows him as Jaffar, but if he had remained in the final game, he will be called simply ''Sorcerer''.
NITM-T wrote: December 17th, 2018, 8:19 am Ok, it's all right. I'm not one of those beta-guys-test, but I was just trying to show you something. Not that is my place to say since my mods has some funny things that should not be there, but you know, right? We're here and we help each other ^_^.
On the contrary, it is good that you pointed it out. I delayed the game for a couple of days due to trying to clean up the mess I did; I will fix whatever that was unintentional.
NITM-T wrote: December 17th, 2018, 8:19 am You're welcome! Yeah, I want to keep making SNES PoP mods, but it's really hard to make 20 levels again. My last one also has only 10 and I only need a month to do it or less. A level for each day and a few more days to test routes that people may try... Was I said before: "unemployed/don't have a life", but I want to make something cool, y'know? I really liked what I did for my Shadow's Story and Twin Brother. Then, I said something stupid to salvadorc17 about TB since it is a good mod that is necessary to do a lot of tricks and that makes it hard, too much hard we'd say. But, I said to him that The Kingdom of the Dead was the hard one. That mod is only too long and has a lot of traps. Today, after Shadow's S., I want to make mods that we need to do tricks all the time because I like to do them (so, it's just because you like tricks, huh?) you guys'd say, hahaha.

Anyway, good luck for us all to bring more mods to keep those classics alive!
I only know a few tricks and that is mainly why I cannot get into many of the mods that have been done, plus they are not taught in-game and some of those are extremely complicated/pretty much impossible to do without recurring to falling damage or use save states or similar tools.
Thanks once more, and I hope too more mods come from all of us!
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

spartacus735 wrote: December 17th, 2018, 8:59 am Link is dead. Where can I download it please ?
Link is supposed to work, try again.
NITM-T
Sultan
Sultan

Post by NITM-T »

Shauing wrote: December 17th, 2018, 9:11 am I would actually love to see videos of this mod being played and speedrunned.
Yeah, That'd be cool! But actually, I think I've never see a DOS or SNES PoP mod Speedrun... Already saw a lot about Super Mario World and Super Metroid mods. I think they're amazing. I thought about make a few of them some time ago, The Quiet Levels would be the first, but I gave up...
Shauing wrote: December 17th, 2018, 9:11 am I originally wanted to disable that option but found it pointless to do so, as there are other workarounds for it, so I decided to just make the time limit tight enough, based mainly on playthroughs I did.
That'd be tough, hahaha. I also do the same. The players maybe want to run and jump all the time, then, they'll save time. I do some math and put a time where it can finish without problems (less for my TOK and Shadow's S. before 1.3 version). Those need some rush.
Shauing wrote: December 17th, 2018, 9:11 am I admire your ability to do mods at such fast pace and with some creative ideas for the puzzles and ambiance for the levels (though some limited to one type of level for the entire game). I have to admit though, I don't like that they are way too tight to the point that one tiny mistake means repeating the level again. I wanted to avoid using any save states, but it seems that the intention is that they are obligatory.
Thanks! And you're right. In the end, I only do what I want to do. As you guys already realized, I never show my new work, my WIP thing, I just post it when no one were waiting. And it/they is(are) really hard which you have to use save states and even this may not enough since I put to many traps where you've to figure out when is the right time to press an open door button, drink a potion or kill a guard. Is necessary to play the same level more than... 5 times, maybe more, heh. After all this, you'd try use only that Game End option just to see how crazy you're to waste time with them :lol:
Shauing wrote: December 17th, 2018, 9:11 am I only know a few tricks and that is mainly why I cannot get into many of the mods that have been done, plus they are not taught in-game and some of those are extremely complicated/pretty much impossible to do without recurring to falling damage or use save states or similar tools.
Thanks once more, and I hope too more mods come from all of us!
Yes, that is exactly what my mods means. The original games doesn't teaches us about tricks, so when I learned about them, I got myself fascinated by them because I can do crazy jumps like The Sands of Time, in 2D, of course, heh. You can do them, but not in the original ones. That's why I like to play PoP, SMW and SM mods, because those guys make a new way to us to play them and stuff. A new way that isn't able for the original ones, but they still pretty good to play, or couser. Never doubt about this ;)
You're welcome and sure thing!
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

NITM-T wrote: December 18th, 2018, 2:11 pm Yeah, That'd be cool! But actually, I think I've never see a DOS or SNES PoP mod Speedrun... Already saw a lot about Super Mario World and Super Metroid mods. I think they're amazing. I thought about make a few of them some time ago, The Quiet Levels would be the first, but I gave up...
I have only seen playthroughs of SNES mods (partial or complete) and only partial speedruns of them (the one I can remember now it's 2 levels of Shadow's Story).
I could do one myself of my mod but, that would spoil all the fun :P
NITM-T wrote: December 18th, 2018, 2:11 pm That'd be tough, hahaha. I also do the same. The players maybe want to run and jump all the time, then, they'll save time. I do some math and put a time where it can finish without problems (less for my TOK and Shadow's S. before 1.3 version). Those need some rush.
Yeah, for my mod I thought of a time limit somewhere in the middle so that the mod can be played by newer players and more experimented ones.
NITM-T wrote: December 18th, 2018, 2:11 pm Thanks! And you're right. In the end, I only do what I want to do. As you guys already realized, I never show my new work, my WIP thing, I just post it when no one were waiting. And it/they is(are) really hard which you have to use save states and even this may not enough since I put to many traps where you've to figure out when is the right time to press an open door button, drink a potion or kill a guard. Is necessary to play the same level more than... 5 times, maybe more, heh. After all this, you'd try use only that Game End option just to see how crazy you're to waste time with them :lol:
I also try to maintain my work-in-progress as secretive as possible, giving just small teases when releasing screenshots or asking for some hacking that is not quite a big spoiler. I will say that my mod was much more harder, mainly with levels being slightly longer and/or tougher in some rooms, but for pacing reasons as well as for being not that intuitive, it was toned down to a more balanced difficulty and pace. I do have practically every build/WIP I did for the mod so if I do another, I will check these to see what can I rescue from them.
NITM-T wrote: December 18th, 2018, 2:11 pm Yes, that is exactly what my mods means. The original games doesn't teaches us about tricks, so when I learned about them, I got myself fascinated by them because I can do crazy jumps like The Sands of Time, in 2D, of course, heh. You can do them, but not in the original ones. That's why I like to play PoP, SMW and SM mods, because those guys make a new way to us to play them and stuff. A new way that isn't able for the original ones, but they still pretty good to play, or couser. Never doubt about this ;)
You're welcome and sure thing!
I will argue that the game does teach you, but the player has to test the controls for themselves to learn each movement either on the main levels or the tutorial levels. My mod does have training levels for the new mechanics, but the player should know by this point the mechanics of the original SNES game. I still made the first two levels or so based around the classic mechanics but slowly I introduce the newer ones as the player continues playing. I prefer more balanced mods so that everyone can play them and have a fun but still challenging ride.
Hope to see you finish the mod with the good ending, and maybe see some playthrough/speedrun of it!
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

Anyone who wants to share a review of my mod? I am curious to know what you think about it, and see if I should do more or not.
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by spartacus735 »

Yep me, give me some hours and I will do a review in the beggining of the afternoon. I will explain how great is your mod, the plus and the minus point and some advice with pr1snesleved.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/spartacus735 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the channel of prince of persia snes mod
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

spartacus735 wrote: December 30th, 2018, 12:14 pm Yep me, give me some hours and I will do a review in the beggining of the afternoon. I will explain how great is your mod, the plus and the minus point and some advice with pr1snesleved.
All right!
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by spartacus735 »

First of all, I'm glad to see your first mod overhere. Otherwise, for a first mod is very impressive to see the work you put on it.

In my opinion the mod is great, you put some extra in your mod where anyone don't get the idea before. For exemple, you're the first modder to hack the demo and create custom character in a video ( the trailer ). Your story is great and easy to make with the limit of Pop1 snes possibilities.

Now I will try to analyze your levels :

Level 1 :
For your first level, the idea seem to be like the original version of pop1snes. In my opinion, it's great but your cavern is a little bit messy, and some walls/floor don't match together. Maybe you should create a new version of this level. By the way it's ok and the prison is the more complicate tileset to use ( lot of different walls combinaison etc

Level 2 :
It's ok, I appreciated the challenge. Maybe the next time you should create a custom wall for the "log", try to create another color for the fire.
Level 3 :
Great level, the Irregular room-link is nice,
Level 4 :
Excellent level, maybe one of my favorite of your mod, the background is great and also I like the way you match collum and floor, you create some acrobatic atmosphere in air. Also the idea of the amazon who break the floor is superb you teach me an idea.
Level 5 :
Teleport level. It's like a small maze, the idea is great but it can be boring sometime. I think you need a another way to create the teleport gate/door
Level 6 :
Great level. I like how you use the bridge to create a another tileset. Also the moon and the stars are perfect you create some scrolling with it, great idea ! But don't forget, you can't add 2 guards in the same room.
Level 7 :
The second part of the mod for me, you make some new trap with the loose floor in my opinion. The trap with shadow is just perfect. I think I will stole your idea in the future haha. The fight with the shadow is original also, good idea.
Level 8 :
I used a lot of savestate for this level, the room-link is better than the level 3, you catch the idea, great level.
Level 9 :
I like the way how you use the fire trap, but like the level 2, you should try to create another color for your level, and maybe try to put more different room, I think you try to create a tower level, why don't you use the brick from the bridge for illustrate this idea ? I like the end with the queen, the breaking floor is good
Level 10 :
The hack tileset is a little bit messy in my opinion, maybe you should create variety with the gray walls and change the color of the blue walls, maybe you tried to match the blue walls with the blue skin of the queen ? Let me know. The fight is very great the "skull cont" option is a good point for a final boss, and the fire trap remember me my level 6 of "the lost bottle" with the monster fight. Also I like the room 12 with this floor, nice idea.
Training :
Very nice level, my favorite level is the training 5, the blue color with this custom collum are very pretty. And the fire cavern are nice, no bug etc. The walls of the training 4 match with the floor, I like the idea maybe you should change the color
For me it's a 7.5/10. Continue to make mod you're great, I think for your next mod you need to create some new color and tileset, you have some great ideas !

https://puu.sh/CplHZ/dbae1906aa.jpg
Thx dude ! :D