exporting a mod from apoplexy to send to others?

Windows and Linux editor of PoP1 (for DOS and SNES) and PoP2 (for DOS).
fp
Sheikh
Sheikh

exporting a mod from apoplexy to send to others?

Post by fp »

First real post, so idk if I put this in the right place, I'm still learning everything.

When I'm making a mod, using it from the editor is fine (been using SDLPoP to test levels because it lets you shmoove to the level to test instead of always starting at level 1), but I'm somewhat puzzled on how to package everything up to throw it to other people for testing. If I'm ONLY editing levels, is it as simple as them having PoP1 and me giving them the LEVELS.DAT file? Or what about the EXE changes you can make from the apoplexy editor (I haven't used any other editor thus far, including hex editing, if that helps), because all I've really wanted to do is change the health The Kid started with... Mostly asking because I don't know if I'm just allowed to share the whole directory, or if I can only send the CHANGED files (not too dissimilar to DOOM2, where you can only send parts you've changed, with zero parts from the original WAD file allowed).

TL;DR, where's the boundaries on what I can send when I do actually throw out a mod for people to try, and how should I do it? Because I don't want to send people my whole Apoplexy setup to just get it to run. :?:

Thanks. -fp
"I don't exactly think, therefore I don't exactly am."
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: exporting a mod from apoplexy to send to others?

Post by Norbert »

fp wrote: December 4th, 2022, 5:21 pmTL;DR, where's the boundaries on what I can send when I do actually throw out a mod for people to try, and how should I do it?
We generally share the entire prince/ directory.
Even if only LEVELS.DAT was modified.
Related posts:
viewtopic.php?p=34405#p34405
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=3188
If the mod is finished, you can submit it.
If you first want others to playtest it, you can create a post, with either your package attached, or with a query who's willing to receive the package via PM for playtesting.
fp wrote: December 4th, 2022, 5:21 pm(been using SDLPoP to test levels because it lets you shmoove to the level to test instead of always starting at level 1)
From within apoplexy, playtesting with DOSBox should do the same.
From the console (command-line), you can use (e.g. for level 3): PRINCE.EXE megahit 3
fp
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by fp »

Norbert wrote: December 4th, 2022, 5:42 pm We generally share the entire prince/ directory.
Even if only LEVELS.DAT was modified.

If the mod is finished, you can submit it.
If you first want others to playtest it, you can create a post, with either your package attached, or with a query who's willing to receive the package via PM for playtesting.

From within apoplexy, playtesting with DOSBox should do the same.
From the console (command-line), you can use (e.g. for level 3): PRINCE.EXE megahit 3
Thank you for the quick response, lordie.

Alrighty, that's definitely useful to know.
For me, at least - starting with DOSBox through Apoplexy always has it start at level one.

A video with an example is shown below (I know it's not the latest version of apoplexy, I need to update it soon-ish), along with another error I've been having with loading level 5 - it's always the original level for some reason, even though i've changed it around.

Thank you for the help - in the meantime, I'll run it from DOSBox using "megahit".

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

fp wrote: December 4th, 2022, 6:02 pmFor me, at least - starting with DOSBox through Apoplexy always has it start at level one.
I'm guessing you put a non-standard PoP1 into the prince/ directory.
If you added version 1.3 or 1.4 of PoP1, you'll need to use "improved" instead of "megahit".
Similarly, for DOSBox to launch into the in-editor level, start with: apoplexy --improved
fp
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by fp »

Norbert wrote: December 4th, 2022, 6:59 pm I'm guessing you put a non-standard PoP1 into the prince/ directory.
If you added version 1.3 or 1.4 of PoP1, you'll need to use "improved" instead of "megahit".
Similarly, for DOSBox to launch into the in-editor level, start with: apoplexy --improved
I did actually do this... The more y'know. Like I said, still learning - but thanks for the helps :) much appreciated -fp

Ima continue my level-creation now.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

fp wrote: December 4th, 2022, 6:02 pm along with another error I've been having with loading level 5 - it's always the original level for some reason, even though i've changed it around.
From your video I see that this happens when you playtest with SDLPoP.

I tried the same, but for me it always starts the edited level.
I use apoplexy-3.16 and SDLPoP v1.22 (the one which apoplexy downloads), all this on Windows.
fp
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by fp »

David wrote: December 10th, 2022, 1:37 pm From your video I see that this happens when you playtest with SDLPoP.

I tried the same, but for me it always starts the edited level.
I use apoplexy-3.16 and SDLPoP v1.22 (the one which apoplexy downloads), all this on Windows.
I had been using SDLPoP, but from what I gathered from this, it updates the version that runs from DOSBox (aka. the PRINCE folder) but not the one inside of SDLPoP (inside of /SDLPoP/mods/, iirc? not at my pc rn). I have to update it manually. In the meantime, however, I've been using DOSBOX, since I haven't been been using any of the port-only features.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

fp wrote: December 10th, 2022, 4:36 pm I had been using SDLPoP, but from what I gathered from this, it updates the version that runs from DOSBox (aka. the PRINCE folder) but not the one inside of SDLPoP (inside of /SDLPoP/mods/, iirc? not at my pc rn).
You are right, Apoplexy only saves to prince/LEVELS.DAT .

To run SDLPoP with the edited levels, Apoplexy changes directory to prince/, and then runs SDLPoP there.

The data files from the current directory override the default files,
*but* if you set a levelset (mod) in SDLPoP.ini then the mod's data files override the files in the current directory.