apoplexy v3.12 released

Windows and Linux editor of PoP1 (for DOS and SNES) and PoP2 (for DOS).
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

apoplexy v3.12 released

Post by Norbert »

I've just released version 3.12 of apoplexy.

Download via: https://www.apoplexy.org/
Download mirror: https://www.popot.org/level_editors.php?editor=apoplexy

Changes since the last version:
+ It's now possible to quickly jump to levels ("l").
+ On the PoP1 for DOS tiles screen, highlights drop and raise buttons when hovering over the event number.
+ If a newer version of the program exists (has been released), an 'upgrade available' notice is displayed on the game selection screen.
(atrueprincefanfrom18, no need to announce it on Facebook)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Re: apoplexy v3.12 released

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Norbert wrote: January 29th, 2021, 3:54 pm (atrueprincefanfrom18, no need to announce it on Facebook)
Ok. (But why? 🤨)
I'm thinking to create a video series with voice on how to start with modding. What do you think about it?
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: January 29th, 2021, 5:20 pm
Norbert wrote: January 29th, 2021, 3:54 pm (atrueprincefanfrom18, no need to announce it on Facebook)
Ok. (But why? 🤨)
Thanks. As for why... I think that, if new apoplexy releases are only announced on social media if they include particularly interesting new features, readers may be more inclined to, first of all read such news entries about the editor, and secondly actually check out these releases. And this version has non-notable changes.
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: January 29th, 2021, 5:20 pm I'm thinking to create a video series with voice on how to start with modding. What do you think about it?
If you have the time and you would enjoy creating such video(s); sure, why not.

Personally, I've been thinking about maybe creating another Prince of Persia Modding video, with news since July 2013.
Because the 2013 video is outdated. For instance, it doesn't even mention SDLPoP.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: January 29th, 2021, 5:59 pm As for why... I think that, [...]
Right, got it.
Norbert wrote: January 29th, 2021, 5:59 pm Because the 2013 video is outdated. For instance, it doesn't even mention SDLPoP.
Yes, of course, it only has the info till 2013 and it's been almost 7 to 8 years, new things and new softwares are released.

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

In addition to the kid direction bug found by David, that I've already fixed, I just noticed that version 3.11 introduced yet another kid direction bug that was obscured by the first bug, and that I still need to fix. The new FixDir() function doesn't check if iEditPoP is 1, and as a result the PoP2 kid is always facing the wrong direction in levels 1 and 13. Ugh. I'll fix this in the next release. (Might take a while.)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: January 29th, 2021, 3:54 pmChanges since the last version:
[...]
+ If a newer version of the program exists (has been released), an 'upgrade available' notice is displayed on the game selection screen.
It works. :P
Norbert wrote: January 30th, 2021, 12:59 amI'll fix this in the next release. (Might take a while.)
Today.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: February 1st, 2021, 4:36 pm
[...]
Oh, so you hadn't tested before you released it?
Or you were unsure? :P

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: February 1st, 2021, 4:54 pm
Norbert wrote: February 1st, 2021, 4:36 pm
Just funny to see it in action.
And to know that other users see the message too. :)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: February 1st, 2021, 4:56 pm
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: February 1st, 2021, 4:54 pm
Norbert wrote: February 1st, 2021, 4:36 pm It works. :P
Just funny to see it in action.
And to know that other users see the message too. :)
Yes, it works. It's just that if there's no internet then Apoplexy takes time to load.
I also tried running:

Code: Select all

$ ./apoplexy --help
It took a few seconds. Maybe it's making network requests on each instance?

And it doesn't show that an update is available when you run

$ ./apoplexy -1

Edit: Also, I tried to one-click install SDLPoP and I can see this error message on the console. I have to copy the compiled SDLPoP directory for my machine into the apoplexy directory renamed to SDLPoP. This is the message that I get:

../SDLPoP/prince: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by ../SDLPoP/prince)
A suggestion: Now that the Submit Mod works, it might be good if we could submit mods directly from Apoplexy :P

I know this is going to take hell lot of time if there aren't any APIs built and the PHP code is coupled with front-end HTML code.

Maybe any other day. :)

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 3:59 pmIt's just that if there's no internet then Apoplexy takes time to load.
I'm guessing that's merely your guess. If networking is not available, it shouldn't take any time to load. I've also tested this in two ways, by disabling networking, and by temporarily having the program access a non-existing website.
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 3:59 pmAnd it doesn't show that an update is available when you run [apoplexy -1].
That's true. However, my reason to implement the notification is primarily that some third parties that make the software available on their website sometimes either never update the package to distribute a newer version, or do so only every couple of years and even then only at my insistence. For instance, my attempts to get Abandonia to distribute a newer version than 2.6b (from 2014) have been unsuccessful. Primarily the notice is meant for new users of the program. And such users won't use -1 on their first run.
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 3:59 pmEdit: Also, I tried to one-click install SDLPoP and I can see this error message on the console. [...]
In the half a year since the 1.21 release of SDLPoP, many Linux distributions have been upgraded beyond the libraries and such that were used on my system when I created and included the pre-compiled binary in the package that apoplexy downloads. This issue should be solved once SDLPoP 1.22 arrives.
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 3:59 pm[...] if we could submit mods directly from Apoplexy :P
Insert meme video of someone laughing and then with a serious face saying "no" here. ;)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Norbert wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 5:58 pm Insert meme video of someone laughing and then with a serious face saying "no" here.
True! :D
I would try to send a pull request if I get better at C. Maybe one day. :P