apoplexy v3.6 released

Windows and Linux editor of PoP1 (for DOS and SNES) and PoP2 (for DOS).
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

apoplexy v3.6 released

Post by Norbert »

I've just released version 3.6 of apoplexy.
Yesterday I posted a related screenshot.

Download via: https://www.apoplexy.org/
Download mirror: https://www.popot.org/level_editors.php?editor=apoplexy

Changes since the last version:
+ PoP1 for SNES automatic prince moves can now be modified (F4).
4DPlayer

Re: apoplexy v3.6 released

Post by 4DPlayer »

Norbert wrote: April 14th, 2019, 12:25 pm I've just released version 3.6 of apoplexy.
Yesterday I posted a related screenshot.

Download via: https://www.apoplexy.org/
Download mirror: https://www.popot.org/level_editors.php?editor=apoplexy

Changes since the last version:
+ PoP1 for SNES automatic prince moves can now be modified (F4).
Works for SDLPoP! Cool. Let’s see what I can do with it! Of course, I’m kinda new to modding. Haven’t done much yet.
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

Really like the interface on apoplexy. I also like that you included DOSBox, Pop1, PoP2, and PoP SNES with the package!! I'm currently customizing Level1, and I wonder if there is a way to create new rooms? Also, I'm a bit confused with Level Gates and Raise buttons, such as the E's (E5, E6, E7) that correspond raise buttons with gates.
Other than that, the interface was super easy to use.

Really amazing!
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

Now I watched some videos. I think I know what to do.
:)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

4DPlayer wrote: May 11th, 2019, 4:06 am Now I watched some videos. I think I know what to do.
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

Can apoplexy be used to edit the levels of PoP mods? (4DPRINCE, other mods) I downloaded 4DPRINCE, moved it contents to a folder titled "prince" in the apoplexy directory, and then when I opened apoplexy it did not recognize any PoP game but instead offered me to download the original PoP.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

4DPlayer wrote: May 17th, 2019, 5:06 amCan apoplexy be used to edit the levels of PoP mods? (4DPRINCE, other mods) I downloaded 4DPRINCE, moved it contents to a folder titled "prince" in the apoplexy directory, and then when I opened apoplexy it did not recognize any PoP game but instead offered me to download the original PoP.
That's because 4D Prince of Persia renamed some files.
In the prince/ directory you would have to copy (not rename):
- 4D_PRIN.EXE to PRINCE.EXE
- KIRILL.DAT to LEVELS.DAT
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

Norbert wrote: May 17th, 2019, 12:40 pm

That's because 4D Prince of Persia renamed some files.
In the prince/ directory you would have to copy (not rename):
- 4D_PRIN.EXE to PRINCE.EXE
- KIRILL.DAT to LEVELS.DAT
Oh. Nice! I already did it with 4DPRINCE.EXE, but I missed KIRILL.DAT. Another thanks to you, Norbert!!
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

I came across some mind blowing stuff in Apoplexy today. :0

I went to the new rooms control panel (Pressing "R" key), made a new room, and then this astonishing thing happened.
Apoplexy created a new guard for me. But not just any guard. It was a guard marked as unknown colors.
I play-tested the level and came across this guy.
Spoiler: show
999.JPG
I think it;s awesome! :) He's a very good enemy. :twisted: So, to do more cool stuff like that, what do I need to do to edit guard palletes? :?:

Also, another cool thing with Apoplexy and SDLPoP, is this flying brick illusion.
Spoiler: show
the8-8.JPG
(Only works on SDLPoP. Not DOSBOX)
With Apoplexy, its so easy to edit levels. Keep up the good work!!!
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

4DPlayer wrote: May 18th, 2019, 10:18 pm I went to the new rooms control panel (Pressing "R" key), made a new room, and then this astonishing thing happened.
Apoplexy created a new guard for me. But not just any guard. It was a guard marked as unknown colors.
I play-tested the level and came across this guy.
Apoplexy doesn't clear rooms when you add them to the level.
The guard was probably already in the unused room.
(Which level was this?)

Here is another case when a black guard appeared: viewtopic.php?p=19904#p19904
Scroll down for screenshots and some explanation.
4DPlayer wrote: May 18th, 2019, 10:18 pm So, to do more cool stuff like that, what do I need to do to edit guard palletes? :?:
Guard palettes are in PRINCE.DAT.
You can export and import them with PR.
PR puts guard palettes into the file "prince\binary\guard palettes.pal".
You can find a palette editor here: viewtopic.php?p=20760#p20760
4DPlayer wrote: May 18th, 2019, 10:18 pm Also, another cool thing with Apoplexy and SDLPoP, is this flying brick illusion.
(Only works on SDLPoP. Not DOSBOX)
Apoplexy has one tile among the palace tiles marked with an exclamation mark. That is actually the skeleton.
But since there are no skeleton graphics in VDUNGEON.DAT, it appears empty in SDLPoP, and garbled in PoP DOS.
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

David wrote: May 19th, 2019, 6:55 pm Apoplexy doesn't clear rooms when you add them to the level.
(Which level was this?)
Level 6. I was adding totally new rooms onto the map.
David wrote: May 19th, 2019, 6:55 pm
Guard palettes are in PRINCE.DAT.
You can export and import them with PR.
PR puts guard palettes into the file "prince\binary\guard palettes.pal".
You can find a palette editor here: viewtopic.php?p=20760#p20760
487]
Ok. I’ll take a look.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

4DPlayer wrote: May 19th, 2019, 7:24 pm
David wrote: May 19th, 2019, 6:55 pm Apoplexy doesn't clear rooms when you add them to the level.
(Which level was this?)
Level 6. I was adding totally new rooms onto the map.
My guess is that the cause is a combination of one or more modified DAT files (in particular KID.DAT) and a modified enemy type (probably "N", none).
If you want, and you still have the modified game with the strange guard, you could private message it to me to have it analyzed.
While the original game has unused rooms with unusual guards, these guards are only in levels 14 and 15.

To get a bit more technical, I already made sure that regular guards don't get color -1. Quoting from apoplexy.c:

Code: Select all

/* Give 'non-colored' guards a color, to prevent random colors from
   * appearing (and game crashes from occurring) if we ever switch back
   * to regular guards.
   */
  if (iColor == -1) { iColor = 1; }
Not sure why David mentions 0 in his post he linked above.
As far as I can tell by reading my own code, -1 means a color is not applicable.
Maybe there's a bug in my code.
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

Norbert wrote: May 19th, 2019, 9:19 pm
My guess is that the cause is a combination of one or more modified DAT files (in particular KID.DAT) and a modified enemy type (probably "N", none).
If you want, and you still have the modified game with the strange guard, you could private message it to me to have it analyzed.
While the original game has unused rooms with unusual guards, these guards are only in levels 14 and 15.

To get a bit more technical, I already made sure that regular guards don't get color -1. Quoting from apoplexy.c:

/* Give 'non-colored' guards a color, to prevent random colors from
   * appearing (and game crashes from occurring) if we ever switch back
   * to regular guards.
   */
  if (iColor == -1) { iColor = 1; }
Not sure why David mentions 0 in his post he linked above.
As far as I can tell by reading my own code, -1 means a color is not applicable.
Maybe there's a bug in my code.
As a matter of fact, I did modify KID.DAT, VIZIER.DAT, TITLE.DAT, and PV.DAT ;and I changed the enemy type to Guard instead of Fat. I could give you the game files if you’re interested.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

4DPlayer wrote: May 19th, 2019, 7:24 pm Level 6. I was adding totally new rooms onto the map.
In which room did this guard appear?
If it's room 6 then it's the fat guard from the original level 6.
Norbert wrote: May 19th, 2019, 9:19 pm My guess is that the cause is a combination of one or more modified DAT files (in particular KID.DAT)
The screenshot indeed shows that a modified KID.DAT (the caped prince) was used, but how is it related to the black guard?
Norbert wrote: May 19th, 2019, 9:19 pm and a modified enemy type (probably "N", none).
If I set the enemy type to none then the PoP DOS will hang when I enter a room with a guard.
Norbert wrote: May 19th, 2019, 9:19 pm To get a bit more technical, I already made sure that regular guards don't get color -1. Quoting from apoplexy.c:
Yes, but that code (SetGuard()) handles only the guards added by Apoplexy.
If a guard is already in the level data then this code won't see it.
Norbert wrote: May 19th, 2019, 9:19 pm Not sure why David mentions 0 in his post he linked above.
We are talking about two different things.

-1 appears in the iColor parameter of SetGuard() when the user adds a "special" guard (shadow, fat, skeleton, Jaffar).

The 0 that I mentioned appears in the level data, in what Apoplexy calls sGuardColors[].
Run Apoplexy with the --debug option and load the original level 6.
The console will show this line among others:

[ INFO ] A guard in room: 6, location: 13, turned: r, skill: 5, color: 0
This is the fat guard. If (on the EXE screen) you change type of guards on level 6 to regular, then he will become a black guard.
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

David wrote: May 25th, 2019, 5:22 pm
4DPlayer wrote: May 19th, 2019, 7:24 pm Level 6. I was adding totally new rooms onto the map.
In which room did this guard appear?
If it's room 6 then it's the fat guard from the original level 6.
As a matter of fact, I just checked now. It was room 6. And if I set the black guard to level 4 skill, he will become an orange guard.