What are you currently studying?

Everything not related to Prince of Persia should be discussed here.
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

What are you currently studying?

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Hello everyone, I hope you are all well.

I have not participated in the forum for the past several years, but I used to be fairly active. My question is: What are you studying lately? If you are currently enrolled in school, what is your major or research area? If you are not currently enrolled in school, what social skills, labor skills, intellectual skills, professions, programming languages, or development tools are you currently learning?
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Re: What are you currently studying?

Post by Shauing »

Never thought I will see Kaslghnoon online; I had to double-check my eyes. You're pretty much an important figure for PoP hacking community.

To answer your question: I'm formally studying Music Composition (still taking the necessary knowledge to get into majoring), and I already have a degree on Music Education. So I have knowledge of reading/conduct/analyze music, as well as how to write chorales and fugues (following Bach examples), play piano, guitar, pan flute and accordion, history of music, choir, gregorian/tonal/postonal music, pedagogy, history of art, thesis seminary, music applied to computer, and so on. Also, I have written and presented a few pieces, and they've been liked somewhat by the performers and listeners.
Self/independently taught: Drawing, audio engineering and mixing, webcomic translator, animator, SNES PoP modding (following instructions/documents by David, yours and others suggestions around here, I don't really know any programming, but have contributed a few things).
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Shauing wrote: January 10th, 2020, 3:44 amMusic
Ah, that makes sense in the context of this and other threads:
viewtopic.php?f=122&t=4277
Shauing
Calif
Calif

Post by Shauing »

Norbert wrote: January 10th, 2020, 10:00 am
Well, on the 20 questions thread, I answered the hobby question with this same answer (studying composition) over 17 months ago :lol:
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: 30th Anniversary Port v1.1.5. Download it today!: viewtopic.php?p=29053#p29053
NEW UPDATE! Prince Of Persia: The Queen Of Light v2.6. Download it today! viewtopic.php?p=33174#p33174
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Shauing wrote: January 10th, 2020, 10:22 am
Norbert wrote: January 10th, 2020, 10:00 am
Well, on the 20 questions thread, I answered the hobby question with this same answer (studying composition) over 17 months ago :lol:
Right.
Shauing wrote: June 27th, 2018, 3:09 am3. What are your main hobbies? (besides PoP)

I compose music (which I am studying), [...]
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Thank you Shauing for your kindness and congratulations on your versatility and success.

ROM-hacking was my main hobby in my twenties. In hindsight, I should have spent more time learning about PoP programming (DOS, SNES, NES, Sega CD, MegaDrive) and less time fueling my obsession with the Japanese soccer game series Captain Tsubasa. Without knowing proper Arabic, I spent almost a decade consolidating ROM information to finally release a Captain Tsubasa hack (named Kaslghnoon) in which text was modified from Japanese to broken Arabic. As a matter of fact, my username here is also broken Arabic. In my own head, Kaas-el-ghnoon meant 'trophy for the intelligent'. In reality, Kaas-el-ghnoon does not make sense because 'ghnoon' is not an Arabic word. Point being that I completely overhauled Captain Tsubasa II for the Famicom in my 'Kaslghnoon1.nes' hack (music, text, character sprites, passwords, game dynamics, anti-cheat protection), but the ROM's weak point (the broken Arabic) was always the topic of discussion among Arabic-speaking ROM-hackers. I do admit that my criticism was justified and that I should have either teamed up with someone to fix the Arabic errors or I should have converted the text back to Japanese. I stopped working on Captain Tsubasa ROMs in 2010 and started focusing on Prince of Persia.

I have vast appreciation for music composers; the music editing/composition part of my Captain Tsubasa II hacking experience was by far the most challenging and the most rewarding. My '00-20.ips' is being utilized to this day by Turkish, Chinese, and Arabic-speaking Captain Tsubasa II ROM-hackers.

Nonetheless, ROM-hacking was the foundation for my technical development. I obtained my Associate of Science in Computer Science in 2008 and my Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering in 2019. I am currently not enrolled in school; I am learning FPGA and Verilog on my own because I did not get an opportunity to take their dedicated classes at the university.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Kaslghnoon wrote: January 10th, 2020, 8:08 pm[...] Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering in 2019.
Congrats.
And, as Shauing wrote, of course always nice to see you here.
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

Thank you Norbert. I hope your schedule allows you to make occasional videos, like the one you recently made about your top 3 VR games.
Coco
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Coco »

I'm done with studying in university (first time I was lazy, later I just didn't have the time). Now I'm tinkering a wee bit with F#, and hoping to continue my Farsi language course at some point...
yourantumayel69
Calif
Calif

Post by yourantumayel69 »

I'm done with studying in university (I have trouble pay semesters, but then I'm going to graduation). Now I'm thinker with VB.NET, and will continue my Indonesian, English, Hebrew, and Japanese language with autodidac.
Pengkhotbah 3:1 (TB) Untuk segala sesuatu ada masanya, untuk apa pun di bawah langit ada waktunya.