Trying some Prince of Persia clones

Everything not related to Prince of Persia should be discussed here.
Wong
Efendi
Efendi

Trying some Prince of Persia clones

Post by Wong »

Wow, my account still works :D I was around ages ago on this forum, trying to speedrun Prince of Persia in the early 2000s - I'm miles off the new record now, so that's irrelevant. But I've just got back into the game, and I'd forgotten how much fun it was.

I saw a few Prince clones being mentioned when browsing around the forum, so I decided to try some of them out... these are my results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyCM9XkQ4vk

These games manage to speak volumes about what a well-made game Prince was - you can make something that looks like it pretty easily, but the feel is something that's very difficult to replicate. Unexpectedly, Arabian Nights 2D is the most consistent-feeling out of all of them despite being homemade - the others have twitches or serious problems with their movement that just weren't ironed out.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Trying some Prince of Persia clones

Post by Norbert »

Nice video; some funny comments in there. I didn't know that Zorro's swinging influences his fall (although I haven't tried the game much).
When you test jumps or test creeping towards spikes, you may want to turn around first to face safer grounds. ;) Although not doing so makes for funnier footage, as your video proves.