Random off-topic stuff

Everything not related to Prince of Persia should be discussed here.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Random off-topic stuff

Post by Norbert »

Something I never expected to see in my lifetime, Richard Stallman resigning (instead of retiring) from the Free Software Foundation.
https://www.fsf.org/news/richard-m-stallman-resigns
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David passed two thousand posts. :)
Emiliano
Wizard Scribe
Wizard Scribe

Post by Emiliano »

Make me a question that I cannot answer about anything you want
(If I don't reply, it's because I couldn't answer it)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

(Technical post, feel free - as always - to skip it.)
Quill, a web-based WYSIWYG editor, has more than 24 thousand stars on GitHub.
I was considering picking it for a project, and then I saw this issue that has been open since 2016, accumulated 60 comments, and learned that there's basically no official way of displaying content created with the editor outside of the editor...
There are renderers that convert Quill's deltas to HTML, but then suddenly you're looking at having to use another package, the most popular of which has 'only' 221 stars, which may become outdated, etc.
Some up-voted posts there: ex, ex, ex. Some down-voted, from one of their team members: ex, ex.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/statu ... 0360387584

"We’re excited to unveil Half-Life: Alyx, our flagship VR game, this Thursday at 10am Pacific Time. Can’t wait to share it with all of you!"
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

Until now, I have been fine with YouTube’s policies and even some of Google’s but now I think they took it too far.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/209 ... -new-rules

Starting January of next year, all videos of each YouTube channel will have to marked as “kid-friendly” or “not kid-friendly”.
No one is sure which videos fall into which category, making the new enforcement very confusing. Worse yet, for certain channels or certain videos, an incorrect marking could result in a heavy fine that may exceed $42,000.

I assume, although like others I am very unsure, that my content (PoP videos) videos are a very kid-friendly thing. The problem with that is videos marked as kid-friendly will loose commenting and become unsearchable, making uploading videos practically worthless.
Still, I’m not even nearly as affected as some other people on YouTube are. I can simply place some videos on this forum and it will get seen and commented on in this forum, but for other creators that make family friendly content on YouTube as a living, they will no longer receive money from ad-revenue, and their videos are no longer searchable since they will have to mark it as kid-friendly or else face the penalty for incorrect marking of their videos.

There is still some uncertainty as to who will be affected and how much they will be, but I’m seriously considering getting rid of my YouTube channel at least right now because I’m so disappointed with the new policy.

[post was edited to fix some wording]
Last edited by 4DPlayer on November 20th, 2019, 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Emiliano
Wizard Scribe
Wizard Scribe

Post by Emiliano »

4DPlayer wrote: November 20th, 2019, 5:53 pm Until now, I have been fine with YouTube’s policies and even some of Google’s but now I think they took it too far.

Starting January of next year, all videos of each YouTube channel will have to marked as “kid-friendly” or “not kid-friendly”.
No one is sure which videos fall into which category, making the new enforcement very confusing. Worse yet, for certain channels or certain videos, an incorrect marking could result in a heavy fine that exceeds $42,000.

I assume, although like others I am very unsure, that my content (PoP videos) videos are a very kid-friendly thing. The problem with that is videos marked as kid-friendly will loose commenting and become unsearchable, making uploading videos practically worthless.
Still, I’m not even nearly as affected as some other people on YouTube are. I can simply place some videos on this forum and it will get seen and commented on in this forum, but for other creators that make family friendly content on YouTube as a living, they will no longer receive money from ad-revenue, and their videos are no longer searchable since they will have to mark it as kid-friendly or else face the penalty for incorrect marking of their videos.

There is still some uncertainty as to who will be affected and how much they will be, but I’m seriously considering getting rid of my YouTube channel at least right now because I’m so disappointed with the new policy.
I think I will leave YouTube forever (as creator)
4DPlayer

Post by 4DPlayer »

Emiliano Fierro wrote: November 20th, 2019, 6:08 pm
I think I will leave YouTube forever (as creator)
Honestly, it’s your choice. You shouldn’t make your decision based only on this post. Like I said, everyone is still unsure as to how the law will affect them.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

4DPlayer wrote: November 20th, 2019, 5:53 pmUntil now, I have been fine with YouTube’s policies and even some of Google’s but now I think they took it too far.
Related video:
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

To me, this was a really interesting discussion.
Not (just) because of the subject matter, but because of the discussion itself.
How the host and participants behave.
I think it would be quite suitable for schools to use in teaching.

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Interesting interview with Andrew Yang about basic income.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

I installed Manjaro Linux on my main computer a few days ago. So far, I am liking it a lot, especially with a goal in mind that I might use Linux for (web) development stuff.
However, I also seem to have a lot of issues with the desktop environment I am using (KDE Plasma) and with various applications. I don't think I'll be switching fully from Windows to Linux yet, it's all just too buggy...
yourantumayel69
Calif
Calif

Post by yourantumayel69 »

prince777 wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 4:17 pm Coronavirus in Persia
https://youtu.be/NHkN_7CfPig
Be careful!!!!
Pengkhotbah 3:1 (TB) Untuk segala sesuatu ada masanya, untuk apa pun di bawah langit ada waktunya.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Old one, but still good.
(The other episodes also have some fun stuff in there.)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: March 10th, 2020, 2:39 pmOld one, but still good.
Same: