Prince of Persia V1.3's crack does not load saved games

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
Janez
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Prince of Persia V1.3's crack does not load saved games

Post by Janez »

Hi community,
the crack for Prince of Persia V1.3 works, because it lets you avoid the copy protection screen. But it is pretty unuseful, because you can not reload (Ctrl L) a saved game.
Does exist a crack for Prince of Persia V1.3 that loads correctly the saved games?
The cracks for PoP V1.0 and V1.4 work fine.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Prince of Persia V1.3's crack does not load saved games

Post by mk1995 »

Did you check if you actually had a prince.sav in the folder? Also, you do know you can only save from Level 3 onwards?
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Janez
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Janez »

mk1995 wrote:Did you check if you actually had a prince.sav in the folder? Also, you do know you can only save from Level 3 onwards?
Of course I have a prince.sav of the last level of the game, I can load it with the normal (uncracked) prince.exe and fight against Jaffar.
But if I use princec1.exe (the cracked version) I avoid the copy protection screen, but the saved game can not be load.
If I try in DOS 6.22 nothing happen, if I try in DOSBOX, the DOSBOX crash.

I looked on google for another version of the crack, but I found only the one that can not load.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

You say you were using a prince.sav from another prince.exe entirely...

I know this sounds stupid now, but try saving a game when playing your cracked PoP 1.3 and then try to reload it. If that doesn't help, I'm clueless.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Janez
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Janez »

The cracked version creates a valid PRINCE.SAV, but it can not load it.
I know it is valid because the normal (uncracked) version CAN load it.

Which version do you use? Cracked or not?
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Me? I'm afraid I don't even use version 1.3...
KJV
Efendi
Efendi

Post by KJV »

Confirmed.

The only available crack for v1.3 does indeed make loading saves impossible, yet it has nothing to do with the save file itself. Even DosBox's debugger throws a bunch of nasty warnings when you ctrl+l during the intro screen, and that it does not when you're running vanilla prince.exe, which's also perfectly capable of loading saves generated by the cracked version.

There's a couple reasons why you'd want to stick to good ole' v1.3 (the one that actually plays back FX samples, not the other with the broken config which does everything through OPL) for real DOS rigs: greater legacy hardware compatibility as well as the fact that joystick support in v1.4 is bogus (joysticks trigger an annoying debug screen) not to mention you can't even disable it from the setup tool so you're forced to see a garbled screen at the very least once before you hit ctrl-k.

Just a couple cents from this fresh POP member.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

There is a way to patch v1.3 without the bug: viewtopic.php?p=13476#p13476 (inside the quote)
KJV wrote:joystick support in v1.4 is bogus (joysticks trigger an annoying debug screen)
Yes, I have seen that: viewtopic.php?p=14273#p14273
KJV wrote:you can't even disable it from the setup tool so you're forced to see a garbled screen at the very least once before you hit ctrl-k.
If you're using DOSBox, you can disable joystick emulation in dosbox.conf.
KJV
Efendi
Efendi

Post by KJV »

David wrote:There is a way to patch v1.3 without the bug: viewtopic.php?p=13476#p13476 (inside the quote)
Thank you David! :cool: works like a charm. Somehow I managed to miss that thread. I'm also taking the liberty to share an exe with your fix hexed in for those in need of a drag-and-drop kind of way out of the problem.
David wrote:If you're using DOSBox, you can disable joystick emulation in dosbox.conf.
Yep, that's why I specifically said "for real DOS rigs". In DosBox it's as easy as disabling joystick emulation and re-mapping the actual joystick to keyboard keys.
Attachments
Fixed POP13 crack.zip
(72.42 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

There is yet another way to get rid of the joystick messages: start the game with prince > nul.
(I mentioned this here: viewtopic.php?p=14273#p14273 )
This should work both in DOSBox and in real DOS.
KJV
Efendi
Efendi

Post by KJV »

Thanks again David, very neat trick!

Now I'm pondering on something I read the other day; is it true that v1.4 somehow runs better (more stably?) on newer computers (well, late 90's tech anyways) with faster cpu's? just asking, seeing as you seem to be familiar with the inner works of the exe's.

Never had a problem with either version, though, and I'm on a P4 3.8ghz.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

KJV wrote: is it true that v1.4 somehow runs better (more stably?) on newer computers (well, late 90's tech anyways) with faster cpu's?
I don't know about that.
However, it seems to me that in DOSBox, if the cycles value is high, v1.4 detects the sound card reliably, while v1.3 and v1.0 don't.

Another: The install.exe of certain versions (1.0 and 1.1) may crash if there is too much free space on the disk: viewtopic.php?p=14201#p14201
KJV
Efendi
Efendi

Post by KJV »

Hmm, I don't think I have experience the sound detection issue myself, unless you're talking the alternative v1.3 setup tool that I mentioned in my first post, but now that you bring it up, I do have some vague recollection regarding a broken installation problem, yet from centuries ago, so it could have very well been something entirely different.

Still, if there's any truth to the alleged v1.4 enhancement, the free disk space thing does indeed look like a perfectly good candidate.

Thank you David for sharing that piece information.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Sound detection: I mean that v1.0 might start in speaker mode if the cycles value is high. v1.4 doesn't seem to do that.
v1.3 might do a strange thing in this case: The music is played normally, but the sound effects are different from both digi and speaker.

The disk space bug was fixed in the installer of v1.3, not of v1.4. (Does v1.4 even have an installer? I mean an install.exe, not setup.exe.)
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

KJV wrote:There's a couple reasons why you'd want to stick to good ole' v1.3 (the one that actually plays back FX samples, not the other with the broken config which does everything through OPL) for real DOS rigs
Say, what are these two separate versions of 1.3 you're talking about? All I've seen so far are 5.25" and 3.5" versions, as well as I think the 3.5" version included as-is on a CD collection.