New Release of apoplexy

News updates, as well as forum and website changes will be mentioned here.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: New Release of apoplexy

Post by Norbert »

Moscow Tracer wrote:Thanks!! Now it works!!!
Great, that's nice to read. :)
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

Did it work with admin access or after disabling your AV? If the former then there's definitely something that needs fixing.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I'm 99% sure it's the administrator rights that fixed it.
Dev-C++ 5.11 that I used to create the 32-bit executable probably added some Windows XP properties to it.
Quoting from here:
"During the Windows XP era, average Windows users typically used their PC as an Administrator account all the time. Applications were coded to just assume they had Administrator access and will fail if they didn’t."
Running as an administrator is a commonly suggested fix; another example here.

I agree that this needs fixing, instead of just relying on the user's ability to find the workaround.
Since July 2014 the Linux executable has been 64-bit.
I think maybe it's time to also make the Windows executable 64-bit.
There are still people out there who use 32-bit editions of Windows, but... yeah.
Apparently David uses Windows XP, perhaps a 32-bit edition.
I don't really feel like creating two Windows executables for every release, even though it's not much work.
Most people who live in the past will learn to adapt or they will get used to programs not working.
It's like using Internet Explorer 6 in 2015; websites that don't work with it are not the problem.
I mean, even the 64-bit Windows XP version is, like, 15 years old now.
Andrew wrote:[...] definitely something that needs fixing.
Yes, I'll make future executables for Windows 64-bit.
Moscow Tracer
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Moscow Tracer »

Andrew wrote:
Did it work with admin access or after disabling your AV? If the former then there's definitely something that needs fixing.
Works if disable antivirus only (I use avast). I tried run with admin rights while active antivirus - not works.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Sure is weird.
At least I wrote I was 99% sure, instead of 100%.
Moscow Tracer
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Moscow Tracer »

Norbert wrote:Sure is weird.
At least I wrote I was 99% sure, instead of 100%.
:) Man, you are really awesome anyway! You made Apoplexy and helped many players make their ideas real - to create own game!) Roomshaker was good, but modding there took a loooot of time, especially on testing step.
Apoplexy works now - it's most important for me.

So, now I have just modding question - I always dreamed make levelset with no restrictions (adding chompers on lvl1, putting own graphics and design colors,make reverse-linked rooms etc,), it was possble even many times ago, I know that, but not in Apoplexy. And created levels.dat files put in "custom" folder of Total Pack looked ugly with incompabilities. Was it fixed? Where is possible make creative MODs easy without special knowledges, does Apoplexy allow that (or new version of Cuspop maybe)?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Moscow Tracer wrote:Was it fixed?
Is something not working for you?

You should be able to use all resources, including chompers, in all levels.
Broken room links (what you call "reverse-linked rooms") can be edited by clicking the "R" button on the room links screen.

If something is not working for you or you don't know how to do something, you'll have to ask a more specific question.
Without specific questions it's difficult to help you.
Moscow Tracer
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Moscow Tracer »

Norbert wrote:
Moscow Tracer wrote:Was it fixed?
Is something not working for you?

You should be able to use all resources, including chompers, in all levels.
Broken room links (what you call "reverse-linked rooms") can be edited by clicking the "R" button on the room links screen.

If something is not working for you or you don't know how to do something, you'll have to ask a more specific question.
Without specific questions it's difficult to help you.
Can you record tutorial video, how to make MODs with different color graphics (like yours Prince of Walteria for example) and add them to the Total Pack?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Moscow Tracer wrote:Can you record tutorial video, how to make MODs with different color graphics (like yours Prince of Walteria for example) and add them to the Total Pack?
Adding them to the Total Pack...
- Short answer:
Total Pack will use the (custom) graphics of the mod itself if you check the checkbox "Use Original Graphics".
- Long answer:
On popot.org, when I add a mod, I manually (= by hand) specify its executable name.
In most cases it is "PRINCE.EXE", but sometimes people use a different filename.
An example is the mod 4D Prince of Persia, which uses "4D_PRIN.EXE".
After I've added the mod, popot.org automatically updates a large mods.xml file.
That mods.xml includes "s_executable" entries that specify which executable name each mod uses.
If you look at that XML file, you will see that the mod with id 0000002 is 4D Prince of Persia and that it uses s_executable "4D_PRIN.EXE".
That mods.xml is being used by Total Pack. Total Pack downloads that mods.xml to see which executable it should launch (start) for each mod.
Executables such as PRINCE.EXE include information about which DAT files the mod uses.
This means that if someone modified, for example, palace graphics (VPALACE.DAT) that the executable automatically uses the modified graphics.
This also means that any modifications, colors or otherwise, made to DAT files are automatically being used by Total Pack.
As long as you check the checkbox "Use Original Graphics".

As for modifying graphics, there are three options:
1. (easy) Ask starwindz to add SDLPoP support to Total Pack. Then use SDLPoP and simply edit the images in its data/ directory.
2. (medium) Don't use SDLPoP and don't modify palettes. Palettes are a given, finite set of colors. You will use the palettes of the original images. You will need to learn how to export and import images using PR (popot.org has scripts that can help you). And you will need to learn how to use the colormap. If you use the raster graphics editor GIMP, you can see how to open the colormap in the image on page 7 of this document.
3. (hard) Don't use SDLPoP and modify palettes. If you choose this, you are basically on your own. It requires you to master things that would take quite some time to explain. The document I linked to above explains how to do it, but you will need to practice and experiment, try things until you understand what exactly you need to do.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

Moscow Tracer wrote:Works if disable antivirus only (I use avast). I tried run with admin rights while active antivirus - not works.
Strange, so Avast blocks the program's execution window but does not flag it as malware or a PUP? :?: Is it the latest version of Avast and is it fully updated? In any case since keeping it disabled is not viable, try creating an exclusion rule for the executable in question.