Level editor for the SNES version

A modern Prince of Persia 1 for SNES level editor for Windows.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Level editor for the SNES version

Post by David »

I think the editor shows torches with the wrong palette. They are much brighter in the editor than in the game.
Or perhaps using the wrong sprites. There are two sets of torch images in the ROM.
Iso
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Iso »

David wrote:I think the editor shows torches with the wrong palette. They are much brighter in the editor than in the game.
Good call. The colors that show on the torch in the editor are actually the colors used for the damage effect. The colors to the left of them are for the torch.
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by spartacus735 »

David in the futur can you add a function who change the width and height of pr1snesleved for choose the dimension of the windows ? Thank
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/spartacus735 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the channel of prince of persia snes mod
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

I fixed the torches and added an option to enlarge the room view to 4x size.
I attached the new version to this post.
Attachments
Pr1SnesLevEd.zip
(362.41 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by spartacus735 »

Super ! I'm very happy !Now it is much nicer!

Good job David !
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/spartacus735 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the channel of prince of persia snes mod
Iso
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by Iso »

Aww yeah, you rock Dave.
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

David, I've found a bug... I'll explain the situation carefully:

I started using the graphics editor from level 7, and everything was good til I used it in level 10. When I started editing level 10 everything was fine, like 3 or 4 tiles of each set (graphics 1, 2 and 3 as the editor separate them) I created. Then I tested and no problem with the rom loading. Since I didn't like so much the level I rearranged it (changed a few room linkings). Then 1 or 2 more new tiles with the graphic editor, then I took a view to the whole level with the editor to see if there was something missing and if I liked it :) ... Then I opened the rom (after saving in the lev editor) with the emulator... The intro never appeared, the screen kept black all the time. After seeing this I instantly loaded a save state, and I could test my level without problem, also returned the main menu without problem.

I think it could be the graphic editor, but I'm not sure, why this can cause the game won't load since the intro?... I'm confused :?

Edit: Maybe is hex editing, but I didn't do any hex editing except the heat effect issue. This makes me feel more confused
This will be my face if you can't win any of my mods
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

What I can think of is that the edited graphics is too big and pushes everything after it. In the first resource table, the last item is the Konami logo, and if it's pushed too far, it may be truncated by the next resource table. Since this corrupts the logo, and since the intro would start with the logo, the game hangs.

You should send me the rom (perhaps attach it to a post or a PM) so I can see if really this is the case.
Kaslghnoon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Kaslghnoon »

David I've run into the same problem as Robert (corrupted Konami screen). I confirm that this issue is not related to hex editing and only occurs after editing many level tiles to the point where data is being written close to the 0x78000 mark. I provided a temporary solution in the ROM hacking topic until a bug-fix is implemented by you.
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

David wrote:What I can think of is that the edited graphics is too big and pushes everything after it. In the first resource table, the last item is the Konami logo, and if it's pushed too far, it may be truncated by the next resource table. Since this corrupts the logo, and since the intro would start with the logo, the game hangs.

You should send me the rom (perhaps attach it to a post or a PM) so I can see if really this is the case.
I sent you PM with an attached .rar containing the rom and a save state (if you need to see something specific). About what Kaslghnoon said with migrating... I've already done it and the issue was still there in ther hacked rom.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

robert wrote:I sent you PM with an attached .rar containing the rom and a save state (if you need to see something specific).
I sent you a reply with the fixed rom. (Interestingly, it has more free space after the Konami logo than the original game!)

I hope I fixed the bug of the editor.
* Bugfixes:
- Edited graphics is now compressed better. I hope this will avoid data truncation.
- But in case the editor ran out of space (despite the above), it will show a warning and won't save truncated data.

Oh... I just realized that the Japanese rom has garbage data after the last resource. But the editor relies on them being zero for the truncation check! (Because the length of the resources is not stored.)
- So, instead it will ask whether you want to save.
Attachments
Pr1SnesLevEd.zip
(364.22 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by spartacus735 »

Good Job David !
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

Hey David!, if you're available in a near future, you should add a copy/paste room, and swap room's position, as well as swap room's details (like in Roomshaker). This would make easier to correct things, for example: when you forget which rooms have checkpoints and which rooms trigger them, and you link them wrongly with other rooms.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

robert wrote:Hey David!, if you're available in a near future, you should add a copy/paste room, and swap room's position, as well as swap room's details (like in Roomshaker).
Ok, I added these, and some other things.

Added features:
* Added a Room menu and moved "Clear room" and "Jump to room" there. The new functions below were also added to the Room menu.
* You can now swap two rooms.
- "Swap positions" will swap outgoing and incoming room links.
- "Swap details" will swap tiles, guards and the starting position (if it is in one of the two rooms).
Door links pointing to one of the swapped rooms will be changed accordingly.
- "Swap transparent" will do both of the above.
* You can now copy and paste rooms. Currently you can paste a copied room only to the same level (and in the same editor).
- These handle tiles and guards.
* Added a menu item to show floors and walls.
- This is useful to see if you have set the floor/wall checkboxes correctly. (Or to search for fake walls...)
Attachments
Pr1SnesLevEd.zip
(367.65 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
robert
Sultan
Sultan

Post by robert »

Thank you David! It works really well!

One question: in a previous post of a previous version you said:
- But in case the editor ran out of space (despite the above), it will show a warning and won't save truncated data.
So I tried the option "swap transparent" with two rooms (in level 13, room 20 and room 14, in room 14 there's the door which jaffar closes). When I clicked "save" it showed me the next warning:

"Last resource doesn't fit into its place! Do you still want to save?"

What will happen if I press "yes"?
Does your previous post reffer to this warning?