Guide to Prince of Persia tricks (Large Topic)

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Guide to Prince of Persia tricks (Large Topic)

Post by mk1995 »

When I played through the level, all worked out just fine. But I noticed that the guard in your screenshot is red while he's actually supposed to be orange.

I think I might've been hinted on this error some time ago at PoPUW. You could either download the PRISON.DAT from me or try to keep him positioned so he looks left, run into the screen and jump from the loose floor before he gets any chance to act. It might not work, but if it doesn't you can still download the file.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Moscow Tracer
Sultan
Sultan

Post by Moscow Tracer »

That's just aproximately 30% of all PoP tricks I know.
If somebody wish I can make trick-training level and record video with solution.
Or you can wait when I finally complete my MOD (2 levels need to complete) "Mirages of Persia" and you can discover more wonderful tricks by yourself.
cocka
Efendi
Efendi

Post by cocka »

I think that would be greatly appriciated. :)

So we can say you're an expert of PoP1. :D
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

Hi guys,

This is a new trick I feel is worth mentioning in this topic but I'm not sure how to name this trick.
This trick was found in level 6 of Hummel's Dusk Mod version 1.1

[Edit: Changed the link to an embedded video. --Norbert]
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Ah! Intriguing. I'd suggest the name "Wall Jump".
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
taha
Efendi
Efendi

Post by taha »

well,I could barely finish the game,but I never thought I was doing tricks.Aren't they just needed to get past some of the puzzles,so everyone knows them?
"Why is it that every time a disaster strikes I find myself without a proper blade?Still,it's better than nothing."

"-It's messy,impossible to eat with dignity....Hmph,so much work for a few seeds."
"Isn't it the effort that makes them much sweeter?"
"I think I'm gonna be sick..."

Just call me "Kakolookiyam".
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

AuraDragon wrote:There was a trick to activate switches and things from behind a gate (GT; Gate, Trigger), I don't recall how to do it though, trying to figure it out again... If anyone remembers how to do that, please post here. Or for that matter any trick that isn't listed here.
I remember seeing a video of this trick done in the first room of the original level 10, but I can't find it.
However, I know how to do it:
Go as right as you can, then bump into the door to move away from it. Turn left. Turn right, press right again, and immediately press left.
This trick can be used to press buttons or loose floors through doors or door tops.
It can also be used to make a guard come towards you. (For example on the right edge of the first room of the original level 4.) This works in both directions.
The trick can be done in the other direction with a mirror.
AuraDragon wrote:Sword Warp - "Ever notice how your character teleports a little when picking up items? You can exploit this by standing between a Sword and a Gate (must be completely beside eachother) and picking up the sword while facing away from the gate, you will appear on the other side of the Gate."
This can be done with a potion, too. However, the potion will be invisible (except its bubbles). Also, if you just press shift, you'll go through the gate without drinking. You need to crouch, and then press shift.
If you try to drink the potion from the left (through the door): if you're standing, it won't work, and if you're crouching, the potion will disappear without having an effect.
The gate can be replaced by a door top with floor.
The trick, too can be done in the other direction with a mirror.
AuraDragon wrote:If you or somebody you know has tricks not listed on this guide
- I remember levels where, after a jump, you need to grab a ledge that is below and one tile farther than the other side. (For example, in the room of the first yellow guard on level 1 of the Extrem mod)
- When a guard falls into spikes, that set of spikes won't hurt you if you fall on them. (I saw this in the Tricks Bootcamp, level 1)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:
AuraDragon wrote:There was a trick to activate switches and things from behind a gate (GT; Gate, Trigger), I don't recall how to do it though, trying to figure it out again... If anyone remembers how to do that, please post here. Or for that matter any trick that isn't listed here.
I remember seeing a video of this trick done in the first room of the original level 10, but I can't find it.
However, I know how to do it:
Go as right as you can, then bump into the door to move away from it. Turn left. Turn right, press right again, and immediately press left.
Yeah, that one is pretty cool.

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:It can also be used to make a guard come towards you.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:- I remember levels where, after a jump, you need to grab a ledge that is below and one tile farther than the other side.
spartacus735
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by spartacus735 »

Great Norbert !Thank for the video !
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.youtube.com/user/spartacus735 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the channel of prince of persia snes mod
yaqxsw
Wizard Scribe
Wizard Scribe

Post by yaqxsw »

Norbert, take trick from my video, Mirages of Persia level 9 (death trap, with getting LP), level 10, level 11 and level 13 bug shortcut
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

spartacus735 wrote:Thank for the video !
No problem. :)
David wrote:- When a guard falls into spikes, that set of spikes won't hurt you if you fall on them.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:
AuraDragon wrote:Sword Warp - "Ever notice how your character teleports a little when picking up items? You can exploit this by standing between a Sword and a Gate (must be completely beside eachother) and picking up the sword while facing away from the gate, you will appear on the other side of the Gate."
This can be done with a potion, too. However, the potion will be invisible (except its bubbles). Also, if you just press shift, you'll go through the gate without drinking. You need to crouch, and then press shift.
If you try to drink the potion from the left (through the door): if you're standing, it won't work, and if you're crouching, the potion will disappear without having an effect.
The gate can be replaced by a door top with floor.
The trick, too can be done in the other direction with a mirror.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:Go as right as you can, then bump into the door to move away from it. Turn left. Turn right, press right again, and immediately press left.
[...]
The trick can be done in the other direction with a mirror.
Are you sure about that one?
I've tried it with a mirror in both directions, but it's not possible, I think.
yaqxsw wrote:Norbert, take trick from my video, Mirages of Persia level 9 (death trap, with getting LP), level 10, level 11 and level 13 bug shortcut
For each level: where exactly (the time) in the videos on YouTube do you mean?