did anyone like the game?

taha
Efendi
Efendi

did anyone like the game?

Post by taha »

Hi,I'm really happy to be writing the first topic of the newest game of PoP(I didn't see him anywhere in the game,did you?)

I wasn't so happy when I heard the game graphics were going to be CellShade(you know,the comic-like graphics like Ultimate SpiderMan).The graphics are leading-edge for CellShade,but it doesn't go along well with PoP,I think.Even then I guessed it wouldn't be worth 4 years' wait.Though,nothing would prevent me from playing it.

What made me crazy first was Farah being a donkey.The second was seeing that the prince(Is he really the prince?He looks much like a trader-THAT thick carpets made me think so.)become a regular lousy hero,careless and killingly easy-going(I think they tried to make it look like Dante-reminds me Sonic too-).And the jokes were a bit dumb.

And,is he really the prince?Not a trader?Why would a prince travel alone with a pack of gold and be stupid enough to lose it?And how can a man that has had so many things like turning a whole castle to mindless monsters,slaying his father with his own hands,or living 7 years with Dahaka(I'm trying to refer to things that had affected his personality in trilogy,but I think I couldn't)can become a careless,lousy man?How can they explain that?

Fighting was also a huge disappointment to me.Always fighting one on one?Why?It looks enjoying when you see it the first time,but after WW and T2T fights,I don't know what to say.And instead of a very good dose of puzzles in the previous games,there's that light seed thing now.And the paths making you do the same things over and over(Dunno why,but still a bit enjoying.)

The worst thing is you being ABSOLUTELY IMMORTAL.Not a slightest of difficulty in the game when Elika is there.(There's no way you can die before Elika comes.)No "Game Over",not much fun.

(I'll continue later)

EDIT:I forgot what was in my mind to be written,I'll continue if I remember.
Last edited by taha on February 16th, 2009, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why is it that every time a disaster strikes I find myself without a proper blade?Still,it's better than nothing."

"-It's messy,impossible to eat with dignity....Hmph,so much work for a few seeds."
"Isn't it the effort that makes them much sweeter?"
"I think I'm gonna be sick..."

Just call me "Kakolookiyam".
Necdilzor
Efendi
Efendi

Re: did anyone like the game?

Post by Necdilzor »

You should know that this guy is another prince, it's not the same of the SoT trilogy.
Neogogeta
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Neogogeta »

I didn't play the game ,but from what I've seen , I'll have to agree with you.
The fights from WW , T2T and even SOT gave the feel of freedom - fight when and how you want. Here I didn't see anything like this.
Cellshading ,though not great , I could live with this in a POP game.
When a game is just too hard you can use cheats to be immortal. But no danger of dying throughout the entire game? That's ridiculous !
sTank
Neogogeta
L O S T Forever
Necdilzor
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Necdilzor »

That immortal thing looks like lego star wars, but you don't even loose studs :D . No game over you say? never played it by myself, but that sucks for a PoP game, even the calssic one had game over. Ubisoft, what have you done?
BlackChar
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by BlackChar »

Well, I have to admit I sort of liked it. A review I read some time ago stated you need to forget the old prince to love this new one, and I agree. Cell-shading looked great and gave the game cool cartoon-ish style (I haven't played nor seen many CS'd games before, so I may be exaggerating a bit) and "the less noble" personality of the prince was a nice change, too. Even the dark, bloodthirsty jerk from WW had some royal dignity, but this new guy is more similar to the Thief of Baghdad whom Mechner took from arabian nights years ago. And I loved their scathing lines and the wrong ending, though it made the game feel a bit like hollywood movie. Oh well. The only thing I regret is the difficulty. You guys are right - Elika's magic help was quite okay from the beginning (it was original, at least, even if it degraded both difficulty and violence level down to a 5th grader's game) but halfway through the game it became so frustrating I caught myself screaming at the witch (I decided to change the letter in the end, there may be children reading) because she caught me in the middle of the flight I knew I'd make, even if I took some damage from the impact. It's not like the game won't let you die, you aren't even allowed to hurt yourself. Unless you fight the boss, of course, I was falling out of arena way too much. And it was short. Unbelievably short for a DL-DVD game. I suppose we can expect more and more games like that - they call it next-gen, I believe. A dime-per-dozen engine, bloat of data (some of which are probably leftovers of the last game the designers made, so you probably don't need them anyway) and graphics so advanced even my 1300$ laptop cripples at 800x600 with the game barely playable. And virtually no challenge, just breeze through the levels, enjoy the view and then put down another frag for seeing the outro. At least it didn't crunch my 8 gigs for too long.

But apart from the playtime and that stupid woman (at least our hero enjoyed touching her a lot, lol) it wasn't that bad. Ubisoft had a few fresh ideas -too bad they didn't work more on them. If I were purist who denies anything just because it is different, I'd stick with old PoP and would never touch the trilogy. They could ruin this thing more, e.g. by making a sequel. Oh, wait, they did. The Fallen King for NDS. I'm playing it right now. Don't even bother asking, apart from interesting controls the game sucks. Big time.
Neogogeta
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Neogogeta »

BlackChar wrote: And it was short. Unbelievably short for a DL-DVD game. I suppose we can expect more and more games like that - they call it next-gen, I believe. A dime-per-dozen engine, bloat of data (some of which are probably leftovers of the last game the designers made, so you probably don't need them anyway) and graphics so advanced even my 1300$ laptop cripples at 800x600 with the game barely playable. And virtually no challenge, just breeze through the levels, enjoy the view and then put down another frag for seeing the outro. At least it didn't crunch my 8 gigs for too long.
It is now current-gen , actually.
Not all new games are like this,don't worry.
sTank
Neogogeta
L O S T Forever
BlackChar
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by BlackChar »

Neogogeta wrote:It is now current-gen , actually.
Not all new games are like this,don't worry.
I certainly hope so :)
taha
Efendi
Efendi

Post by taha »

to blackchar

I guess that's something about personality.From what I understand,you like changes,but I don't as much as you do.But I'm both happy and sorry that we all agree about one thing,the good thing is that we agree,bad thing is we agree that the fact is the very truth...
"Why is it that every time a disaster strikes I find myself without a proper blade?Still,it's better than nothing."

"-It's messy,impossible to eat with dignity....Hmph,so much work for a few seeds."

BlackChar
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by BlackChar »

If I were purist who denies anything just because it is different, I'd stick with old PoP and would never touch the trilogy.
Taha, quite the opposite, I tend to hate changes just as much as you do, maybe more. The line I said wasn't meant as an insult or anything offending, more of an ironic remark, since I know the feeling. In fact I did stick with PoP1 and 2 for many years and played through the trilogy just after the old forum went down. I almost never posted in other topics than those in POP1/2 and mods forum. It's not like the trilogy was so great it made me change my opinion, I just told myself I should, so I could be more objective. And the games aren't bad, even though I know thousands of things I'd like to change about them or reasons to scrap them totally. But I can also see what others like about them. At least the trilogy has a story, and quite a good one, though it has some serious flaws since Ubi changed their view on the franchise frequently. I, personally, would love to see old prince revamped and his story continued, what I've read about PoP3D story made me realize it's not always a bad thing to stop. And the same thing happened to the Sands of Time. Poof, a funny pun quite unrelated to the old story, just to catch attention of gamers and then head-on to the new world. I can't say I'm thrilled about that, but they sure could do worse things. How would you like to see Vizier resurrected a few more times, just to keep good ol' prince in shape? How lame would that be?

I mean, I like to swap sides once in a while, put my reasons aside and look at things differently. I definitely have my view about new games, I could rant or make sharp comments on Ubisoft's address for making things too mainstream. It's not magic anymore, prince has become a legend and they're the ones making bussiness of it. It's the same everywhere else. Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Pokémon, Command & Conquer - every game good enough to build a cult around it is bound to get some commercial crap as well. But we're the ones who remember the old days, who treasure the soul of the original idea and that's why we agree on such things. We, the nostalgic freaks, (some more hardcore than others) are the real core of the community and that's something to be proud of. But it doesn't mean it is okay to neglect new stuff. Keep the great time you had playing in your heart and look forward at the same time. They had some fantasy while making the new Prince and I give them credit for that. The other things lump behind slightly, but that's a price to pay. I just hope it won't get worse in the future. If they started making lousy, boring games and called them Prince of Persia, that would disappoint me. As long as their work has some spice, I don't mind it's new :)
taha
Efendi
Efendi

Post by taha »

Okay,you didn't have to write that long...
No problem then.

ursyalim
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by ursyalim »

I like the game ... but ... i like POP SOT trilogy more. Why??? These are my humble opinions about the game:
1) The character of a prince supossed to be a good man, not a tomb raider. Just leave the tomb raider thing for Lara Croft. :D
2) A lot of combos but not enough enemy to practise it.
3) Still about the combos, its too much so you cant easily remember them all. I used to enjoy killing the sand monsters in SOT (WW & T2T) using combos.
4) The game kinda heavy on my machine that i used to play SOT with, must because of that cellshade thing you guys mention earlier.
5) What's wrong with the prince's NOSE. Really.... i mean it :D
6) One of the power plate symbol using hexagonal star like jewish star. It's kinda wrong to put the symbol even in the ancient-persian-zoroastrianism time.
Neogogeta
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Neogogeta »

ursyalim wrote:I like the game ... but ... i like POP SOT trilogy more. Why??? These are my humble opinions about the game:
1) The character of a prince supossed to be a good man, not a tomb raider. Just leave the tomb raider thing for Lara Croft. :D
What makes you say that?
The main charactar can be an asshole or great guy. Hero or anti-hero, he's still a protagonist.
sTank
Neogogeta
L O S T Forever
ursyalim
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by ursyalim »

Neogogeta wrote:
ursyalim wrote:I like the game ... but ... i like POP SOT trilogy more. Why??? These are my humble opinions about the game:
What makes you say that?
The main charactar can be an asshole or great guy. Hero or anti-hero, he's still a protagonist.
You right about that, but we are talking about THE PRINCE ... ... P R I N C E. A prince supposed to be taught with noble things, not robbing from the dead. Even an asshole not supposed to do bad things. Aragorn in LOTR once a prince, even if he doesn't like being one, it doesn't mean that he do bad things.
Neogogeta
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Neogogeta »

ursyalim wrote:
Neogogeta wrote:
What makes you say that?
You right about that, but we are talking about THE PRINCE ... ... P R I N C E. A prince supposed to be taught with noble things, not robbing from the dead. Even an asshole not supposed to do bad things. Aragorn in LOTR once a prince, even if he doesn't like being one, it doesn't mean that he do bad things.
I suppose that's because he isn't truly a prince (from what I've heard).And the prince form T2T ingored the deaths of his people ,even being a real prince, don't you call that bad ?
sTank
Neogogeta
L O S T Forever
ursyalim
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by ursyalim »

Neogogeta wrote:
ursyalim wrote:
Neogogeta wrote:What makes you say that?
I suppose that's because he isn't truly a prince (from what I've heard).And the prince form T2T ingored the deaths of his people ,even being a real prince, don't you call that bad ?
The prince in SOT trilogy somehow, once, a bit selfish. He was tried to pursue his own agenda without thinking about the upcoming effect. But after he found out his mistake, he tried to fix things up. And that's the idea of being a good man. I think you right about that, because anyone (prince or not prince) could do bad things (unintentionally), but then try to fix it up.