Free to download

Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: Free to download

Post by Andrew »

Yes, .R01, .R02 and so on are split RAR archives as I had mentioned earlier. Looks like a some 'genius' put split archives within another archive! How stupid. (Or it's a 'scene' release. In any case, it's like a Matryoshka doll.) :roll: Anyway, now you need to find the .RAR file from among the extracted files and extract that again using WinRAR. That will then extract the contents of all the parts from .R01 onwards and hopefully you'll finally get to the good stuff inside.

This is why I generally don't trust archives, since you never know whether the stuff in there is truly what the name implies, or whether they contain viruses or even whether they're password protected and you're told to visit certain sites to get the password (if you know what I mean) etc.
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

Andrew wrote: you're told to visit certain sites to get the password (if you know what I mean) etc.
You mean innappropriatocity?
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

'innappropriatocity'? Is that even a word? :wink: But yeah, I mean passwords that are (supposedly) made available only after you enter your credit card number on a site that's definitely NSFW and not family-friendly. I delete all such password-protected archives immediately, 'cos without exception they're all fake and just ways to get your info. and hack your accounts.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

Yeah, depends on the source I guess. Dodgy releases are the ones that try to hide the password, whereas scene releases may come as split RAR archives, but they're never password-protected. That's why I steer clear of all password-protected archives, 'cos they're just not worth the trouble.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Andrew wrote:'innappropriatocity'? Is that even a word? :wink:
Bit off-topic right here, but Levi's a native English speaker, so he probably knows best. The word, despite complicated, sounds pretty good to me, too.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Then I guess Levi made it up by nounizing the adjective "inappropriate". It's not in the dictionary of online translators.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

mk1995 wrote:but Levi's a native English speaker, so he probably knows best.
Well not necessarily, considering I'm only 13.
mk1995 wrote:Then I guess Levi made it up by nounizing the adjective "inappropriate". It's not in the dictionary of online translators.
Well, it should be a word. The other thing I could of said was innapropriatness, but that didn't sound as cool :o . It could make sense!
programmer wrote:http://www.google.pl/search?q=innappropriatocity
And it's a word that was used only twice in the history of the internet.
I think that's something to be proud of!
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

mk1995 wrote:
Andrew wrote:'innappropriatocity'? Is that even a word? :wink:
Bit off-topic right here, but Levi's a native English speaker, so he probably knows best. The word, despite complicated, sounds pretty good to me, too.
Right... And what, pray tell, leads you to the conclusion that I'm not a native English speaker as well? :roll:

Not to mention that everyone makes mistakes and no one knows all the words out there, plus as Levi himself says, he's only 13 so I doubt he'd call himself a linguistics expert.

Anyway, the 'legality' of a word entirely depends on the body of people who choose to use it in their day-to-day communication with one another. All languages are constantly evolving, so if enough people choose to use the word "innappropriatocity", it's sure to make it to the OED as a brand new word in the English language!
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

That's a good point right there. In my class I'm pretty much the only one who writes/speaks German flawlessly 99.9% of the time.

Also, yahoo for off-topicicity (freshly made up :P)!
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

programmer wrote:Sometimes I think that an average native speaker will probably make mistakes more often than somebody who studied a language. Many native speakers (of any language) don't care (or even don't know) about some rules while people learning the language will follow them. I can easily notice in it Polish and surely it's like that elsewhere.
That's a very interesting and valid point!

@mk1995: But aren't you a native German speaker? I think programmer was referring to non-native speakers who've formally studied a language, its rules etc.

P.S. Yeah, if someone wants to delete these OT posts or move them elsewhere, it's ok (though I don't think it's really harming the topic at hand since there's not much one can discuss about download links anyway. ;))
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Once again, we find ourselves in a terrible situation in which an Off-Topic section would be quite helpful.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Andrew wrote:@mk1995: But aren't you a native German speaker? I think programmer was referring to non-native speakers who've formally studied a language, its rules etc.
Take a closer look at programmer's post...
programmer wrote:Sometimes I think that an average native speaker will probably make mistakes more often than somebody who studied a language. Many native speakers (of any language) don't care (or even don't know) about some rules while people learning the language will follow them. I can easily notice in it Polish and surely it's like that elsewhere.
As you can tell, my class consists of 100% native Germans. And I'm pretty much the only one who mastered the language almost perfectly. The others make mistakes, you can't really look at their writings.
AuraDragon
Sultan
Sultan

Post by AuraDragon »

I have a friend who feels the same way except english. >_> Sad really.
I post on the forum at weird times of the day
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

@mk1995: I'm sorry, maybe I got things mixed up. So what you're saying is you aren't a native German but just live there? That's why you've studied hard to master the language and are better at it than your native German classmates who learnt the language naturally while growing up talking at home?

I always thought you were a native German yourself!
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Andrew wrote:@mk1995: I'm sorry, maybe I got things mixed up. So what you're saying is you aren't a native German but just live there? That's why you've studied hard to master the language and are better at it than your native German classmates who learnt the language naturally while growing up talking at home?

I always thought you were a native German yourself!
For crap's sake NO! I am a native German.

Uh... wait. Are you deliberately misunderstanding me?