Easy Events Assigner I & II (v2.1)

Discussions about all other tools (CusPop, SAV/HOF editors) and hex editing.
Butcher
Developer
Developer

Easy Events Assigner I & II (v2.1)

Post by Butcher »

What is this tool about?

It's an easy way to add, delete, edit, clear and even changing the order of events to a level not needing you input numbers or even remembering them.

Just open the level you want to assign the events, click over a gate (exit/closed/open), click over a button (raise/drop), click at [+] button (Add) and voilà, event is fully assigned!!!

Let us call it as a companion for RoomShaker.

Note #1: the "Save" menu item and "Auto-save" check box only save the changes of the current level, not all 16 levels, so before you switch to a different one or exit the application, click at "Save" menu item or hit Ctrl+S, if you want the changes you did be saved, of course.

Note #2: At the Events Panel you can see a small button at the right side, if you click that button you can shift the panel to the right side and vice-versa.

Note #3: This program unlike Cuspop/PR Executor it uses a simple INI file for reading/writting the properties of some items, like the last loaded LEVELS.DAT, the current level, the show type, the auto-save and the Events Panel position (left/right), please don't edit this file unless you know how can edit them.

Note #4: For clearing all the events of a level, click the "paper" button and save afterwards.

I would like to know if it will be useful for the POP community and as this tool is under beta-testing (this week only), I'm only providing its executable and an (almost) direct link.

[EDIT]Link removed

It's highly recommended you read the Help!

Credits go to "poirot" for bringing us with the good documentation at his freeprince source code: File: "FP\doc\FormatSpecifications" and "Brendon James" for the nice and "stolen" tile graphics. ;-)

Please, report any bugs you find. ;-)

Note: For this week this topic will not be stickied, after the next weekend I will change it to "sticky", edit its subject, remove this note, remove the "I would like" above and of course change the link to Butchered's website. Check my new signature too!!! ;-)
Last edited by Butcher on July 17th, 2010, 5:45 am, edited 9 times in total.
Butcher
Developer
Developer

Re: Easy Events Assigner Version 0.9 gamma

Post by Butcher »

Some bugs were found, specially some graphical bugs and as this program relies most of graphical stuff, I expected that... I'm still fixing all them.
Last edited by Butcher on May 29th, 2010, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butcher
Developer
Developer

Post by Butcher »

I think all graphical bugs were solved... new version: 0.9 gamma available!!!

[EDIT]Link removed

News 2010-29-05

Former [-] "Remove" button now is called "Clear".

New 'Events' menu with the following items

- Clear All Events (former "Remove All" [paper] button).
- Clear Invalid Ones Only (read the EEAssign help or hit F1).
- List All 256 events (read the EEAssign help or hit F1).

I simplified the way as the "Edit" button works, now you don't need to press it once to enter in editing mode and again to finish editing. Just select the event, select the gate/button and just press it. (again: read the EEAssign help or hit F1).

Now whenever you change events and select another level or even exit the application it will ask you if you want to save the changes of the current level.

Note #1: For a while this application only show the items of the "pop1_foretable", (vide FormatSpecifications file) or in other words it will not display the location of the guards, the starting location of the prince and other items like potions type, well... it shows where the potions are located but it doesn't display the type of them, like feather fall, health, etc.

Well.. I don't think I don't need to do that as this application only assign events and all you need is just see the "skeleton" of the level and the gates/buttons.

Note #2: And also for a while I'm not intending to change it to a MDI (Multiple Document Interface) aplication like "RoomShaker". you know, opening each level in its own window.

Note: Now I'm extending the time, if I don't receive any complaints or receive any replies until the next weekend, I will take out the gamma text and remame it to 1.0
Last edited by Butcher on June 6th, 2010, 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Balanced
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Balanced »

Hm, good job!
Thus, it would be better if u edit the 3th post and make it in the 1st one, to keep it organized, so peps wont have to search for the lastest download :)
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Naw, it's pretty alright like that. I mean, he wants us to know that he updated! You wouldn't be getting a "new post" if you simply edited an existing one. And a bump-topic-without-having-to-post-anything option doesn't exist.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Tristan
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Tristan »

great job
Balanced
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Balanced »

mk1995 wrote:Naw, it's pretty alright like that. I mean, he wants us to know that he updated! You wouldn't be getting a "new post" if you simply edited an existing one. And a bump-topic-without-having-to-post-anything option doesn't exist.
Why not edit the first post, and then post a new post with <progress made> or some like that in it :P
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Neither does it make sense to edit the changes into the first post and have the same thing a few posts later, nor does it make sense to edit the first post if a change is made only to bump the topic with a pretty useless post that most likely consists of only two words and a dot.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Butcher
Developer
Developer

Re: Easy Events Assigner Version 0.9 delta

Post by Butcher »

Thanks for the replies... ;-)

News 2010-05-31

- Discovered another graphical bug and fixed it.
- Easy Events Assigner now shows different colors for the potions, like Roomshaker does!!!
- Now it can display the location of the guards including the location of the prince in the level...

Obs.: The last two are for decorative purposes only... ;-)

Grab it in my new Butchered website or click my signature below, well... not really new, I just changed the font (using a downloadable font called "Dungeon"), the background color of the pages and added the Easy Events Assigner.

I'm planning to make an Easy Events Assigner for POP 2 too!!!

Note: Topic now is stickied!
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Butcher wrote:Thanks for the replies...
...which were barely on-topic. But I'd be glad, too, to have a topic whose posts are all written by me.
Tristan
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Tristan »

Butcher wrote:
I'm planning to make an Easy Events Assigner for POP 2 too!!!
AWESOME !
Butcher
Developer
Developer

Post by Butcher »

Check the new Easy Events Assigner II!!! For Prince of Persia 2!!!

[EDIT]Image removed

I'm still having some troubles reading the guard location and the checkpoints. Well.. these things aren't really needed as the events assignment part is DONE!!!

But as I did with the first version for POP 1 I'm wanting to do the same for POP 2... Let us call that "cosmetics" ;-)

Note: Please don't quote this message as I will remove that image soon or later of my server and I will edit this message too removing the link of that image.
Last edited by Butcher on June 6th, 2010, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brendon James
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Brendon James »

Interesting idea, this would be quite handy for quickly setting door-events, wierd seeing 'my' graphics in someone else's program but.

-Brendon
Butcher
Developer
Developer

Re: Easy Events Assigner I & II (v1.0)

Post by Butcher »

I'm sorry for the double-posting but I just thought better reply to Brendon in a post and write the news on other post.

News 2010-06-06

- Easy Events Assigner v1.0 fully available!!!
- Easy Events Assigner II v1.0 fully available!!!

And with source code too!!!

As both programs use the same "drawing engine" and almost the same stuff I just thought it wouldn't be a problem release the version for POP2 too as assigning events for POP2 are more easier than POP1, at least we don't need to make some binary mathematics like shift right/shift left some bits.

- Changed the "drawing engine" to draw light grey (silver) rectangles on places where there are no rooms. I did that because it was becoming confusing distinguish between a valid room and an invalid room.

- Now the rectangle red cursor will move only when the mouse cursor be over a valid room.

- New "View" menu with the following items:

EEA - Prince, Guards, Room Numbers
EEA II - Prince, Checkpoints, Static Guards, Room Numbers

as these things are just decorative, they aren't needed to assign events, you can check them if you want to see them or not.

EEA
Prince is a blue rectangle
Guards are red rectangles
Room Numbers are light grey (silver) numbers placed on the top left corner of each room.

EEA II
Prince is a blue rectangle
Checkpoints are cyan (aqua) rectangles
Static guards are red rectangles and purple ones when they come from right or left side of the room.
Room Numbers are small light grey (silver) numbers placed on the top left corner of each room.

As probably you have noticed there are some letters like C and O for gates, here are the explanations for them

EEA
##:## C = Closed Gate
##:## O = Open Gate
##:## E = Exit Gate

##:## D = Drop Button
##:## R = Raise Button

EEA II
Unlike EEA where we have only gates and buttons, EEA II we have items and actions because we have two kind of buttons, normal ones and pressure plates and we have not only gates as we have squash walls and dart guns, so here are the meanings.

##:## S = Squash Wall
##:## G = Dart Gun

##:## P = Pressure Plate

And of course ##:## is the location (Room/Tile).

I want to explain four things:

1st: Let's suppose you have the following level.

As you can see, there are two buttons assigned to the same event (gate), even if you set the second button located at 02:11 R the displayed button at the "Events List" will be the first one, the button located at 01:19 R. Both will work. Let us call that an "index" button or "initial" button.

2nd: You can assign events without buttons attached to them, take a look at some prince levels for examples, but you need to set the previous event to trig the next one, if you don't do this, that event will be useless.

3rd: As you can assign just one button for a single event, the numbers over the buttons at the map/grid are the associated events attached to them. With gates it's the inverse, the "drawing engine" always will draw the latest event number associated to that gate. As you probably know, we can assign up to 256 events to the same gate but it's not possible doing that with just a button. But of course, only if you want to see them at the "Show" combo box.

4th: You can open the "Rooftops", "Beach", "Jaffar" and the gameplay levels associated with them using EEA II and as they don't have buttons, gates, pressure plates, dart guns, squash walls you can't do nothing there, at least you can view them and take some screenshots! :razz:

Note:
LEVELS.DAT is for EEA, PRINCE.DAT is for EEA II. Don't open another file as I didn't create a valid LEVELS.DAT / PRINCE.DAT checking routine. If you open an invalid 'levels' file or any file the program will raise some "delphi exceptions" and display garbage at the grid.

Yeah... I know I could have done a valid levels checking routine like I did with my CusPop when opening PRINCE.EXE files. But after programmed about 2300 lines in two months for EEA and changed about 200 lines of the original EEA to create EEA II, I think I became a little lazy. :lol:

Now.. what are you waiting for? Go grab them at Butchered's website or click my signature below!!!
Butcher
Developer
Developer

Re: Easy Events Assigner I & II (v1.0)

Post by Butcher »

Not necessarily news but...

Implemented a "CheckValidDat" routine, now it will open only the levels.dat (EEA) and prince.dat (EEA II) to avoid giving delphi exceptions and garbage at the grid.

Note #1: EEA will open all POP versions, 1.0, 1.3 and 1.4

Note #2: EEA II will open only POP II IR (Initial Release), 1.0 and 1.1, it will not open the 1.0/1.1 demo versions.

Note #3: You can rename the files levels.dat or prince.dat. The validity check will not check for the name of them.