A word of frustration at the forum admins

News updates, as well as forum and website changes will be mentioned here.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

A word of frustration at the forum admins

Post by mk1995 »

Dear sirs and madams that are administrating this forum,

This forum is completely messed-up! To the right of this posting window I'm writing in you were supposed to be able to click on a colour to make your text coloured in that way.

This option is GONE! I see "Font colour", but no colours.

To the left of the white-rectangle-beauty I see a collection of smilies. It is supposed to work by clicking on the smiley, and BAM! You have the string of text that generates one in the post.

This is also MESSED UP! For one, the smilieys have been heavily decimated, and if I click on one, all it does is send me to the top of the page I'm on.

Directly above this text box I can see buttons that are supposed to insert BBCode. However...

This DOESN'T WORK! Nothing happens what-so-fucking-ever!

What I intended to achieve with this post is to ask for a fix. This has been like this ever since the spambot onslaught, and by now I'm sick and tired of this. I beg you, please do something about this!
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
floppy
Vizier
Vizier

Re: A word of frustration at the forum admins

Post by floppy »

You're right

Nothing does work with the textfield
what should we do without Prince of Perisa? How would called this forum? :P
floppy
Vizier
Vizier

Post by floppy »

??? It's faster to write

Code: Select all

[QUOTE] [/QUOTE]
than dlick on a button?
what should we do without Prince of Perisa? How would called this forum? :P
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

This doesn't help the fact that the stuff's still broken...
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

I sure hope poirot's not sharing your attitude to that...
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Colors, smileys and BBCode now all work properly. :)
(poirot allows me to access the admin panels of both this forum and of WordPress to make the necessary changes)

How I fixed this:
- One error ("syntax error") was fixed by adding a newline in overall_header.html after: // <![CDATA[
- Three other errors ("bbstyle is not defined" and similar) were fixed by replacing "{T_TEMPLATE_PATH}" with "styles/prosilver/template" in posting_buttons.html and posting_smilies.html.
The latter has to do with editor.js of the Infinity theme being broken.

I have plans to further improve and update both this forum and the WordPress pages, but as much as possible in consultation with you all. (I won't moderate the forum.) So, I'm thinking about creating a thread called "princed.org (phpBB, WordPress)" on the "Other PoP related" board; where the "popot.org" thread also resides. It would be a publicly visible thread where we can discuss possible changes to improve and update this website. Is this a good idea?
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

Norbert wrote:It would be a publicly visible thread where we can discuss possible changes to improve and update this website. Is this a good idea?
Yes. :) [Smiley added courtesy fixed script.]
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

You are the man, Norbert! I was just about to ask poirot to fix this once I got back from my school trip and now you did it yourself. And your idea is simply brilliant!

You, sir, deserve to be a moderator or maybe even a co-admin! But that's just my opinion.

Edit: Is it possible for you to also fix the problem with the search function? If so, then I'd love you forever. Platonically, of course.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Andrew wrote:
Norbert wrote:It would be a publicly visible thread where we can discuss possible changes to improve and update this website. Is this a good idea?
Yes. :) [Smiley added courtesy fixed script.]
Okay, added it: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=2953
mk1995 wrote:Edit: Is it possible for you to also fix the problem with the search function?
Yes, I have just fixed that.

The group settings were already okay:
- USERS AND GROUPS -> Groups' permissions -> Registered users -> Advanced Permissions -> Misc -> Can search board -> Yes
I had to change this setting:
- GENERAL -> Search settings -> Search page system load limit: 0

Generally speaking, this should be fine. (One of the phpBB MOD team members also suggests it here.) However, to make sure the load this server undergoes for searches won't get to high, I've increased the number of seconds users have to wait between searches. Regular users now need to wait 1 minute between searches, guests 3 minutes. This may seem extremely high, but at times princed.org is already a bit slow and we don't want a spambot to take everything down when it misuses/abuses the search functionality.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

programmer wrote:Do you really believe it would be possible, even with search enabled for guests (bots)?
Yes, unfortunately the website has been down several times because of bots abusing the search field.
At least, that is what poirot wrote to me. Certain searches do slow everything down a lot, it seems.
Maybe this server is being hosted by a crappy content provider, or it's a simple account for very basic websites? Dunno...