Post by yaqxsw »

ddd.jpg
drop 26 close a gate on leftt side...
CrazyDiamond
Vizier
Vizier

Re: Jaffar's Revenge

Post by CrazyDiamond »

yaqxsw wrote:drop 26 close a gate on leftt side...
no problem, you can open it again ;)

Norbert wrote:
CrazyDiamond wrote:I had not thought about it, all these bugs make things harder for modders, gotta be very careful to prevent them.
True. As a side note, I think it would be best to not alter older mods. New tricks and such will continue to be discovered over time. It's okay if there are shortcuts in old mods because certain tricks were not yet known. Those 'bugs' in mods are just the sign of the times. It has a certain charm, there's no need for everything to be fixed retrospectively. That's just my opinion, of course.
I agree with you, indeed for example I wouldn't edit 1:51 room to prevent trick 48, even if I discovered that trick some weeks after the first release (KingOfPersia revealed it to me), it's a different way to pass the gate and it's good for me.

In the case of the room we are talking about anyway the situation is different, I am very undecided, because it would change the interpretation I give to the level.... the original solution is striclty connected to the title of the level and to the skeleton with the prince appearance, but better not adding more words if you don't want spoiler :p
remember when you were young / you shone like the sun / shine on you crazy diamond
CrazyDiamond
Vizier
Vizier

Post by CrazyDiamond »

I've decided to leave everything as it was, no matter the alternative solution using popot trick n.1, anyway level 3 is a bit shorter if you solve it with the solution intended by me (which I will reveal only if you'll ask). So now I'm posting the original levels.dat uploaded in 2006 here

http://www.popot.org/popuw_forum_archive/148e.html

A recommendation about level 7: for experienced players like you this level will be very easy if you know something more about the map... so try to play it without watching it via roomshaker or cheats, the level is very short and you can play it many times like old pop levels, then if you can't get it watch the map. This level is very different from the first three, I wanted to make a short relaxing room not too frustrating, I hope you'll like it anyway.

About CusPop: I don't know how to use it.. but will total pack3 allow to play any level you want? If so there should be no problem, anyway is just because I want to leave everything as it was in 2006.
Attachments
LEVELS.DAT
(36.16 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
remember when you were young / you shone like the sun / shine on you crazy diamond
CrazyDiamond
Vizier
Vizier

Post by CrazyDiamond »

Very important

Really strange! I played the level just to try it again after many years and I noticed that I could not beat it and couldn't understand what was the matter, there had been no changes since 2006 and the level worked fine at the time. Then I tried to modify the cpu speed and I noticed that:
-with 3000 cycles level 7 cannot be completed (DosBox starts with that speed);
-with nearly 4000 cycles or more the level can be completed (push ctrl+F12 to increase cpu speed).

Sorry for the inconvenience, I really had no idea that something this strange could happen, somehow cpu speed modifies the green potion effects slightly and the level becomes impossible. Maybe it's a problem of using dosbox, maybe the game itself run at a different speed when played without dosbox, indeed at the time I didn't play with dosbox and the level was ok for me and so was for KingOfPersia who had played and completed it too.

Did anyone know of these strange effects?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I've updated your mod's entry on popot.org per your PM request.
CrazyDiamond
Vizier
Vizier

Post by CrazyDiamond »

Thank you Norbert!

When I'll have more time I'll make a walkthrough for level 3 and play some of the new mods by you and yaqxsw ;)

About level 7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InkfVntio9A

Good work yaqxsw!
& yes of course you need to change speed just for the potion, you can alter it in the final part of the level.

ps: 1:42 --> you can also do this: go soon left and at 1:52 use the same trick you use at 0:10... with green potion active the prince will grab the tile!
yaqxsw
Wizard Scribe
Wizard Scribe

Post by yaqxsw »

ps: 1:42 --> you can also do this: go soon left and at 1:52 use the same trick you use at 0:10... with green potion active the prince will grab the tile!
didnt know :lol:
CrazyDiamond
Vizier
Vizier

Post by CrazyDiamond »

yaqxsw wrote:
didnt know :lol:
If it is not listed it can be added to the tricks walkthrough :p
Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o41v2ryN ... e=youtu.be

CrazyDiamond wrote:(@ Khushal64n6: when you find out how to perform the trick would you please record it again and add it in in your list of tricks? i'll delete this video from my youtube account since i use it only for music)

I have Downloaded, I will post later in my tricks playlist.
Khushal64n6
Calif
Calif

Post by Khushal64n6 »

CrazyDiamond wrote: (@ Khushal64n6: when you find out how to perform the trick would you please record it again and add it in in your list of tricks? i'll delete this video from my youtube account since i use it only for music)
Its done :)

Prince of Persia 1 - Trick 109

Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... CEAB1BB959
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote:
CrazyDiamond wrote:

(@ Khushal64n6: when you find out how to perform the trick would you please record it again and add it in in your list of tricks? i'll delete this video from my youtube account since i use it only for music)
What you probably do there is 'up', then immediately press 'left'.
Same keys as used for trick 68:

So, I've been trying what CrazyDiamond is doing, but it's just not working for me.
I recreated the room as such:

(mirror)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Oh, never mind, it only works when going up two floors.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

More precisely, it works only if there is no floor where the kid is on your screenshot.
Because then, after climbing up, the kid is aligned differently.
And then the second climb(grab), which is interrupted with the jump, also aligns the kid differently.

Also, you can safely jump over the spikes if you step to the edge before the first jump.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:Also, you can safely jump over the spikes if you step to the edge before the first jump.
Yeah, this trick is 'only' useful to reach things faster (like an almost closed gate).
Still pretty neat.