[Parkour] Prince of Persia 2 - the Shadow and the Flame

zethholyblade
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

[Parkour] Prince of Persia 2 - the Shadow and the Flame

Post by zethholyblade »

And it's finally here :mrgreen:

Just like the Hardcore mod, where I was motivated by the awful remake Ubisoft released time ago claiming that the Prince was weak, slow, and lacked agility, here comes a mod that requires you to master your enviroment and will test your patience and creativity as never before.

The Parkour Mod :cool: v1.0
==================================================================================
The mod contains these changes:

- New and complex level layouts for cavern, ruins and temple levels.
--- The Caves are pretty much a rocky rollercoaster going down. You'll also notice the skellies are a lot more... persistant.
--- The Ruins have decayed even further, and by that I mean you'd better watch your step.
--- The Temple's Cultists continue with their sacrificial rituals to their Flame Deity, and have created many trap puzzles to prevent you from getting there... alive.

- Life potions will reward players who decide to explore each level. You can skip them if you like, as their locations usually stray off the main pathways in several cases.

- Players must perform all sorts of tricks they've learned from playing both the Hardcore and Tricknasium mods to have an easier time facing the difficulties ahead.

- Combat, though not as heavy as the Hardcore mod remains challenging.

--- Low to medium ammount of enemies with decent skill and low health.
--- Many duels require you to be moving constantly.
--- Not all enemies will die from sword hits :twisted:

- The princess' life is in danger and many obstacles await you, but 75 minutes will be fairly enough in my opinion :mrgreen:

==================================================================================
LEVELS DESCRIPTION

(01) Palace Rooftops

Yet again, you face seasoned guards, however they're frail and easy to toy with.

(02) Beach
We don't go near the shipwreck.

(03) Caves 01 - The Fall
There are two possible pathways on the way down, and eventually two exits on opossing sides of the level.

(04) Caves 02 - The Toombs
Though originally intended to be a 2-start level, it couldn't be done, so this is one of the two one-way maps in the entire mod. By the way I don't recommend going kangoroo at the end :D

(05) Caves 03 - The Pit
The Skeleton is BACK. Yessss, the skeleton bridge, prepare for Kombat :twisted: There are two ways to head down, as well as two (somewhat combinable) ways up which could be done to acquire all the life potions in this level.

(06) Ruins 01 - The Jails
"Tighten your sphincters" said the Heads, glad that you've returned. Remember the little chase Indiana-Jones style back in the Hardcore mod? Think of this as the Dahaka Chase from PoP Warrior Within... Enjoy running through the entire level :mrgreen: BTW there are plenty of life potions stacked together in a special room and to get there you'll have to go through a lot of pain... think of the movie Alien 3 :lol:

(07) Ruins 02 - The Hallways
The exact opossite of the Caves 01 level. Your goal is to head to the middle following the different pathways available for both sides (about 2 to 3 paths for both right and left entrances). Once there, climb your way up to open the exit and head down in one piece ;)

(08) Ruins 03 - The Throne
There are two main ways to reach the throne rooms, depending on how do you want to get there, there'll be 2 variants available for each and it's quite possible to get both life potions if you wanna take the time to fully explore the level if you believe you have a lot of time. Once you get your father's sword, you can head down through 2 paths... Originally there were 5 snakes at the exit... but sadly they started crashing the game for some reason and I had to delete them >:( ... lucky you.

(09) Ruins 04 - The Horse
There are... three ways to head down the middle part of the level, once there you can choose another three to reach the bottom. Don't worry about the horse part, it's quite easy now. This can be a very quick level for you :P

(10) Temple 01 - The Lobby
Alright, although you won't find that many Zealots as you did in the Hardcore mod, they're still challenging opponents. Keep in mind this mod was fully made using Apoplexy which has version 1.1. so the guards will always try to fight you at the same time (this demands you parry and switch places properly to dodge enemy attacks). There are about 5 ways to clear the level, and some of these can even be mixed ammong themselves. Be creative :). :mrgreen:

(11) Temple 02 - The Dreadworks
The shadow level. Although the Shadow's role may be considered a bit smaller than it was in the Hardcore mod, be sure not to get yourself trapped in shadow mode. There are also plenty healing potions stacked together somewhere... but there's a special guardian protecting such wonderful loot.

(12) Temple 03 - The Sanctum
There are 2 ways to clear this level, however, rumor has it there's a hidden area in this map where an unholy ritual is taking place, perhaps you could find a way in... and perhaps find an additional exit. :evil:

(13) Temple 04 - The Flame
This is probably the most sadistic level I've ever come up with. There's only one way to get to the Flame, use all the skills you've learned through this ordeal, you're in for a crazy final push. :)

(14) Jaffar 01
Minor changes in here, but the end comes as always. It's really difficult to modify stuff here... but mehh.

INSTALATION
Just make a copy of your PoP2 folder, you could rename it to 'PARK', and replace PRINCE.DAT with the file available in this topic.
=================================================================================
KNOWN BUGS

- Sometimes you'll find enemies such as snakes with different color palletes, try not to kill them with loose tiles.

VIDEO WALKTHROUGH

TBA

MAP LAYOUT

THE CAVES

THE RUINS

THE TEMPLE

SCREENSHOTS

THE CAVES

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

THE RUINS

THE TEMPLE

Other notes:

- I recommend listening to either Prince of Persia Warrior Within or Prince of Persia 3D OST while playing this game xD.
- If you have suggestions I'd like to read them.
Attachments
PRINCE.DAT
(379.59 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: [Parkour] Prince of Persia 2 - the Shadow and the Flame

Post by Norbert »

I've added the mods to popot.org, and I've announced them here and there.

Hey, thanks for adding lots of screenshots to your posts.
That's useful for people to get previews, plus it makes it easier for me to add screenshots to their pages at popot.org.
SuavePrince
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by SuavePrince »

This mod is the most hard?i need practice i dont remember how play pop2..este es el mas dificil?practicare porque no recuerdo como jugar pop2 sobre todo si es dificil como tu primer mod decavernas y aves algo asi se llamaba ;)
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

Wow, so cool this mod, i have not seen so much mods for prince 2 in this times, and yes the difficulty is really a challenge that worth it...
zethholyblade
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by zethholyblade »

Norbert wrote:I've added the mods to popot.org, and I've announced them here and there.

Hey, thanks for adding lots of screenshots to your posts.
That's useful for people to get previews, plus it makes it easier for me to add screenshots to their pages at popot.org.
Of course :mrgreen: since the last time you mentioned it was better and easier for you if I also posted screenshots, I figured it had to be done here as well. And thanks for sharing them man :)
SuavePrince wrote:This mod is the most hard?i need practice i dont remember how play pop2..este es el mas dificil?practicare porque no recuerdo como jugar pop2 sobre todo si es dificil como tu primer mod decavernas y aves algo asi se llamaba ;)
Bueno sí, es el mod más difícil que he creado hasta ahora. Empieza por el Tricknasium para que te sea más fácil :)

Same goes to the everybody. I consider this the Hardest mod I've created, it's recommended you do the Tricknasium first, specially if you don't remember all the tricks you can do in PoP2
salvadorc17 wrote:Wow, so cool this mod, i have not seen so much mods for prince 2 in this times, and yes the difficulty is really a challenge that worth it...
Heheh thanks man, I personally would love to make even more mods for PoP2, I even considered making one based on Warrior Within, but the problem is that the ammount of stuff one can only modify is begining to feel as too little. I mean, I'd love to add new stuff to the game mechanics If I only knew how.
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

Yes, there is a way, you should read my message about prince 2 open source, thats the biggest possible way to get new features into the game...
zethholyblade
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by zethholyblade »

salvadorc17 wrote:Yes, there is a way, you should read my message about prince 2 open source, thats the biggest possible way to get new features into the game...
Checking it :shock:

Does it mean we can create a custom PoP2 game? -Although the screenshot shows it's the 3rd room of the original PoP1 level, I mean it the layout is - Does this work with PoP1 or PoP2 mechanics?

Also, I've been checking the files but I honestly don't understand much about the programming there :/ However, if you need help with level design and / or custom painting the sprites / map imaging in general I'd like to help :)
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

Yes, you can help me, it uses mixed mechanics from prince 1 and 2, the tileset is from open source sprites released for prince 2 in mac, you can help me testing and after when im able to do it , you can create your own levels. Post your suggestions there in the post, if you have something to say, ill upload a test version soon as possible.