Mod: Secrets of the Citadel

Falcury
Calif
Calif

Re: Mod: Secrets of the Citadel

Post by Falcury »

SuavePrince wrote:My name in Hall of Fame?..i beat this mod in less half an hour... ;)
I saw your walkthrough videos. I am really impressed :)
It seems I will have to make impossible mode even harder!
I need to know your exact time in minutes and seconds, then I'll add it to the V1.1 update I'm preparing!
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

I am finishing up a new level (Level 9) that will be included with the upcoming update to this mod.
Getting the two life upgrades will be very difficult (even for SuavePrince I think :twisted: ) and requires some tricky acrobatics. But I think I (hopefully) kept the level very enjoyable otherwise.

I am wondering, has anyone figured out how to get the life potion in Level 3 yet?
And has anyone found the alternate ending?
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

I finished the V1.1 update. You can download the new version here:
Secrets of the Citadel v1.1.zip
(4.79 MiB) Downloaded 110 times
I added Level 9 to the set.

Impossible mode became more difficult. Now, you MUST get the time bonuses to make it through. In impossible mode, you now have only 20 minutes at the start and extra time potions restore only 4 minutes each. The game CAN actually be completed this way (I checked), even including all the life potions. (except the one in level 3, which requires a different tactic...) It is just superhumanly difficult. :twisted:

So, the difficulty levels are now:
Normal mode: start 150 minutes, time bonuses are 15 minutes
Hard mode: start 60 minutes, time bonuses are 12 minutes
Impossible mode: start 20 minutes, time bonuses are 4 minutes

For convenience, I created a difficulty selection screen.
If you don't want to be bothered about the difficulty every time the game launches, you can modify SDLPoP.ini and replace "difficulty = prompt" with "difficulty = normal" (or "hard" or "impossible").

Here are some screenshots taken from Level 9:

This is the full list of changes:
- Added Level 9.
- Added difficulty selection screen (prompts by default; configurable in SDLPoP.ini).
- Added Hall of Fame.
- Impossible mode: lowered available time from 30 to 20 minutes; extra time bonuses from 7 to 4 minutes.
- Added recent SDLPoP dev features: replay recording, configuration using SDLPoP.ini, new bug fixes. See the SDLPoP readme (doc/Readme.txt) and the forum thread (viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3664) for the details!
- Level 1: Made beginning of the level more obvious.
- Level 1: Added an extra gate in the sword room to prevent getting the sword too early.
- Level 4: Made getting the life potion a bit harder.
- Level 8: The light blue guard now never moves.
- Miscellaneous bug fixes.
SuavePrince
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by SuavePrince »

This mod is very hard(player standar)i think that some people have fear,if you see the videos,you can say:need more experience and skill,in my opinion no want play again..i can play only level 09 with dosbox..is necessary sdlpop?
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

SuavePrince wrote:This mod is very hard(player standar)i think that some people have fear,if you see the videos,you can say:need more experience and skill,in my opinion no want play again..i can play only level 09 with dosbox..is necessary sdlpop?
- The videos show a very fast, but also difficult way to finish the levels. There are easier paths if you take your time! So, I maintain that the mod can also be completed by non-expert players (although solving the puzzles sometimes takes some "thinking out of the box").
- The life potions and time bonuses are entirely optional (unless you playing on impossible mode :twisted: ). All levels can be completed with 3 or 4 hp at the start!
- Use the quicksave feature very often (F6 and F9 in SDLPoP), it makes the levels MUCH more enjoyable. If you play in Normal mode the time penalty for quickloading does not matter.

So yes, I do recommend playing with SDLPoP. :)
The levels are designed to be played with certain tricks not being possible (such as Trick 1).
Also there are additional features such as extra time potions, full health potions, fixes for multiple exit doors, alternate ending, etc.

If you only want to play Level 9, you can use the following command (similar to the DOS version):
prince megahit 9 fullscreen
You will then start directly on Level 9, with cheats enabled. You can use shift+T to start with (for example) 4 life potions instead of 3.
SuavePrince
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by SuavePrince »

i try level 09 later,but i dont know how make prince megahit,i knw that trick i cant,but its ok..when learn use megahit,try ;)
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

On Windows, using a .bat file is an easy way.
For example, you can use the one in the attachment (launch_level_9.bat). You can put the file in the mod's directory and double click it.
To edit a .bat file, you can right-click it and choose "Edit". This will open up notepad. From there, you can change the command, save the file and close. (the command I put in the .bat file in the attachment is "prince megahit 9 fullscreen").

Good luck! :)
Attachments
start_level_9.zip
(195 Bytes) Downloaded 94 times
SuavePrince
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by SuavePrince »

Falcury wrote:On Windows, using a .bat file is an easy way.
For example, you can use the one in the attachment (launch_level_9.bat). You can put the file in the mod's directory and double click it.
To edit a .bat file, you can right-click it and choose "Edit". This will open up notepad. From there, you can change the command, save the file and close. (the command I put in the .bat file in the attachment is "prince megahit 9 fullscreen").

Good luck! :)
thanxs.need learn how use sdlpop,is fantastic quickinsave,thanxs for you work,now i try play megahit... ;)
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

I am happy to say that I am nearly ready to release the 'final' version of this mod.

For this new version, I added the remaining levels (10, 11, 12, 13).
Also, there is a secret bonus level...
And various other new special features were added.

I will provide more details soon.

If you want to playtest the mod and help by finding bugs or giving me feedback, please let me know! Then I can give you a 'beta' version to play around with. As soon as any remaining issues are resolved, hopefully I will be able to release the mod within a couple of weeks.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I will wait for the finished version, and then I'll record some - maybe all, we'll see - level playthroughs with SDLPoP.
Maybe its documentation can mention which levels contain which unique things, if necessary vaguely to prevent spoilers?
I don't want to miss a thing. :)
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Norbert wrote:I will wait for the finished version, and then I'll record some - maybe all, we'll see - level playthroughs with SDLPoP.
Nice :) I hope you will enjoy the levels!
Norbert wrote:Maybe its documentation can mention which levels contain which unique things, if necessary vaguely to prevent spoilers?
I don't want to miss a thing. :)
Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll include a document with explanation on how to solve the levels, and how you can reach the various secrets (in broad terms). It will be a bit like a 'walkthrough' and contain spoilers. But that's OK. It will probably be helpful to have some sort of written guide anyway, so that people are not completely on their own when they get stuck in the levels. (they are quite challenging after all)
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

My goal is to release the new version of Secrets of the Citadel (version 1.2) on or around the 25th of December.

These are the major changes:
  • Added levels 10-13, plus a secret bonus level.
  • Levels 1-9 have also been tweaked.
  • New special events, secrets, potions and easter eggs.
  • You now have unlimited time to complete the levels. Time runs forward instead of backward.
  • The Hall of Fame now contains additional information, including a counter that tracks how many life potions (and such) you found.
  • Special game modes:
    • Practice mode: You can practice levels 1-12 individually, by pressing Ctrl+P on the title screen (or on the new splash screen).
    • Time attack mode: A special challenge mode, where you have 30 minutes at the start - you will need to collect bonus potions (grey potions) to replenish time along the way. To start this game mode, press Ctrl+T. Only intended for advanced players who are already familiar with all of the levels.
  • The mod will also make use of new improvements and bug fixes that were added to SDLPoP since the previous release.
Some new screenshots:
sotc-1.png
sotc-1.png (8.78 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
sotc-2.png
sotc-2.png (8.91 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
sotc-3.png
sotc-3.png (9.05 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
Screenshot of the new practice mode dialog:
practice_mode.png
practice_mode.png (18.95 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
Currently there are some issues with the SDLPoP replay functionality. So, in order not to delay the release, I will probably disable the replay/recording feature (hopefully temporarily).
talpa
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by talpa »

Wonderful mod but very very hard!

I understand you want to avoid spoilers, but with all the announced easter eggs, alternate endings, etc, couldn't it be possible to post them somewhere with a "spoiler alert"?

Forgive me if it's a silly question (I'm new to the forum), is there a place (if it isn't this) where to ask and/or discuss for hints? for example, I don't know how to make the stunt shown in the maybe 0.x version, where the prince can run through a missing floor. And with version 1.0, it happens often to have to run through a chopper, press button while sliding back, all fast and in only two floors, and I can't find a way to choose the exact timing, just sometimes it seems to pass, but more often not :P

Also, waiting impatiently for the 1.2 :D
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

talpa wrote:Wonderful mod but very very hard!

I understand you want to avoid spoilers, but with all the announced easter eggs, alternate endings, etc, couldn't it be possible to post them somewhere with a "spoiler alert"?

Forgive me if it's a silly question (I'm new to the forum), is there a place (if it isn't this) where to ask and/or discuss for hints? [...]

Also, waiting impatiently for the 1.2 :D
Thank you! :D I'm very glad that you like the levels!
After I don't know how many years, the mod is finally finished... Now I just have to merge in the last SDLPoP changes, and maybe I can release it later tonight. Or else, some time tomorrow.

Yeah, it's absolutely fine to discuss hints here! Or, if you want to ask me directly without posting publicly, you can also send a private message if you wish.
talpa wrote:I don't know how to make the stunt shown in the maybe 0.x version, where the prince can run through a missing floor.
Do you mean Trick 42?
http://www.popot.org/documentation.php? ... ksPage2#42
The exact position is important, and (in some cases) the timing of your jump. Sometimes, you just get lucky! It's a lot of trial and error.
talpa wrote:And with version 1.0, it happens often to have to run through a chopper, press button while sliding back, all fast and in only two floors, and I can't find a way to choose the exact timing, just sometimes it seems to pass, but more often not :P
I assume you mean the two spots in level 3 and 4? I know SuavePrince masterfully uses that trick in his videos, and it's very fast, but actually you don't need it to finish the levels ;) In level 3, especially in v1.2 you should have enough time without that trick. And the earlier method (I think you referred to that above?) also still works. (and there is also a third solution to that level 3 puzzle) And in level 4, you can open the gates on the left by first going down and to the left, and finally dropping down upon the raise button from above.

For the new version, I have written a document that walks you through the levels, and also contains instructions on how to reach all of the secrets including the alternate ending (if you don't mind spoilers of course ;)). I'll include it as part of the mod. It's a bit difficult to summarize all of the secret stuff, though.
talpa
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by talpa »

Falcury wrote:Do you mean Trick 42?
Exactly. That one I didn't know, like the majority of this hundred :P
I thought I knew a lot, turns out I have to study :D
This one anyway is easy to perform, much more difficult what Suave does :P
Falcury wrote:and there is also a third solution to that level 3 puzzle
:shock: :shock: :!: :?:
Holy xx! I played only to the beginning of the fifth and already have three unsolved questions:
- how to take the potion in level 3 (the one where there is the sword) what's this easter egg?!
- what is the third method of that puzzle
- how can you take the potion in level 4
Falcury wrote:Made getting the life potion a bit harder.
A BIT?! :mrgreen:

EDIT: no, I found the third way for that puzzle. I think it's the easier path. It just requirest maybe you do something a little different before ;)
The other two questions remains...

I also wanted to add that quicksave is really useful, and invite you to try mine levels (release yesterday) once you will be finished with your labour... wanna know your thoughts: I was proud at least of some of them, but now that I've seen yours... :oops: