Mod: Secrets of the Citadel

Falcury
Calif
Calif

Re: Mod: Secrets of the Citadel

Post by Falcury »

Here is version 1.2.1 of the mod.

This is a 'maintenance' release, with re-enabled replay support, plus some fixes and tweaks. There are no great changes to the levels.

The changes compared to version 1.2 are:
- Brought up to date with the SDLPoP 1.17 release.
- Enabled support for replays. (To record, press Ctrl+Tab; to view replays, press Tab on the title screen.)
- Very minor tweaks in levels 3, 5, 10 and 14.
- Added an icon.

The level changes are, specifically:
Spoiler: show
Level 3: Removed the flip potions. (They were only annoying!)
Level 5: Minor visual tweak.
Level 10: Added an extra health potion, to be a bit more forgiving in the later part of the level.
Level 14: Disabled a shortcut by making one button close two gates instead of one (fix suggested by talpa).
I decided to use this icon for the mod.

Edit: fixed version number in the splash screen; added the icon to the list of changes.
Attachments
Secrets of the Citadel v1.2.1.zip
(4.78 MiB) Downloaded 188 times
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Also updated it at popot.org.
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

Just want to ask this mod is possible to complete using only levels.dat file and no SDLPoP version??
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

salvadorc17 wrote:Just want to ask this mod is possible to complete using only levels.dat file and no SDLPoP version??
Is there a reason you'd want to play without SDLPoP?

This mod uses a special, modified SDLPoP including some unique playing experiences and items that you won't see if you use DOS.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

salvadorc17 wrote:Just want to ask this mod is possible to complete using only levels.dat file and no SDLPoP version??
It's not possible, because the mod was made to use extra features that I added to SDLPoP. The DOS version does not have these features so the levels will generally not work correctly!
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

I was trying to play without SDLPoP to compare engine differences, and haved problem completing even firts level, so those potions are really needed?
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

salvadorc17 wrote:I was trying to play without SDLPoP to compare engine differences, and haved problem completing even firts level, so those potions are really needed?
It's not only the potions. There are other features and bug fixes as well. The mod depends on these to work correctly.
Just trust me, I know what I made ;)
About the first level: that level cannot be completed in DOS at all.
The reason is that the level exit door is the same as the start door. For Secrets of the Citadel, I changed SDLPoP to make that possible. In DOS, you can never exit through the same door as the one you came in through.
AigleFin
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by AigleFin »

Hi everyone,

I have a problem, i can't finish level 1... and the potions are empty ? Is that normal/possible or I'm stupid ? ^^ And visibly I play with SDLPop...

David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

AigleFin wrote: I have a problem, i can't finish level 1... and the potions are empty ? Is that normal/possible or I'm stupid ? ^^ And visibly I play with SDLPop...
Yes, it's an empty potion. I don't know why is it there... Maybe to annoy players when they want to make a single step?

Help for room on first picture:
You have to go to the room above that, and jump over from there.
You have to position the prince accurately. You will lose one HP.
Help for room on second picture:
You have to enter the room from below.
Break the two loose floors without flipping the guard: The right from below, and the left by grabbing it.
You need to have at least two HPs for this. (There is a small red potion nearby.)
I think you also need to drink the big potion near the beginning.
(I see you already did that as the picture shows 4 HP...)
BTW, how did you enter that room from the right?
For this I need to go down twice from the starting room, but I either fall into the spikes, or fall to death.
(Update: I could jump and fall next to those spikes with the correct positioning. But as I wrote, this is not needed for the solution.)
AigleFin
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by AigleFin »

Thank you for your help David :D ... And it's difficult to take the LP beside the starting room...

You right, i jumped next the spikes one down from the starting room :) But it's unnecessary... !
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

In level 1, when I get the sword, then press Ctrl+a, then go to a guard, I still have the sword.
I don't know if this is specific to this mod or an issue in SDLPoP.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

Norbert wrote:In level 1, when I get the sword, then press Ctrl+a, then go to a guard, I still have the sword.
I don't know if this is specific to this mod or an issue in SDLPoP.
I think I know what the cause of this bug is. It's specific to this mod, because it's a side effect of one of the changes I made.
In the mod, if you finish the first level without getting the sword, you will not have it in level 2. However, adding this 'secret feature' complicated the game logic a bit, because if you skip level 1 altogether using Shift-L, you still had to receive the sword. So I added an extra variable that tracks whether you played through the first level in a legit kind of way. I probably made made an error in the implementation of this, which caused this bug to occur.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

I was experimenting with positional audio, and I figured it might be interesting to try out this feature with my mod.
So, here is Secrets of the Citadel v1.3, with positional audio included as an experimental feature.

(The positional audio feature allows you to hear the direction sounds are coming from. This can give you clues on what is happening around you, for example when you press a button that opens a gate.)

I also revised the levels a bit, and made various other changes.

Changes since v1.2.1:
  • Brought up to date with the SDLPoP 1.20 release.
  • Added support for positional audio (experimental).
  • The gate closing sounds for some gates can now be heard in the distance.
  • Fixed a bug where you could keep the sword after pressing Ctrl+A in level 1.
  • Use the SDLPoP 1.20-supported customizations where applicable.
  • Tweaked most of the levels.
  • Made levels 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12 slightly easier.
  • Added a minor new puzzle in level 3.
  • The set-up for the bonus potion puzzle in level 5 changed slightly.
  • Removed the shadow potion easter egg in level 6 (too confusing and distracting).
  • Bonus potions no longer erase HP, except in time attack mode.
Edit: small fix.
Attachments
Secrets of the Citadel v1.3.zip
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 133 times
SuavePrince
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by SuavePrince »

i like you mod..you can make other mod?
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

SuavePrince wrote: January 27th, 2020, 11:14 pm i like you mod..you can make other mod?
Maybe some time. Although I am out of ideas for new levels at the moment. Creating levels is quite hard...