[Hardcore] Prince of Persia 2 - the Shadow and the Flame

David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: [Hardcore] Prince of Persia 2 - the Shadow and the Flame

Post by David »

[Norbert answered while I was writing my post.]
zethholyblade wrote:At the 13th floor, by the bridges I got a message saying something about textures.. odd.
Yes, (in Apoplexy) on level 13, in rooms 32,2,28,15,13 (and on level 14, room 4; level 12 rooms 1,25,19,16,9) some messages appear in the console:

Code: Select all

[ WARN ] SDL_RenderCopy (imgincomingr[]): Invalid texture
[ WARN ] SDL_RenderCopy (imgincomingl[]): Invalid texture
I guess the problem is that these rooms have 10 (!) incoming guards.
But Apoplexy is prepared only for 9, see the images in png/incoming/.
In fact, Apoplexy does not let you increase it above 9.

By the way, I just noticed the hidden word on your map of Temple 03. :)
zethholyblade wrote: - At final level, if you release the Shadow infused with the Flame before the very last part (hide and seek with Jaffar), there's a chance that it'll crash the game. Therefore I recommend playing normally until then.
Yes, if I do that in the crystal room with the clones, I get a message saying "Error in LoadShad(). Quit?".
But only if all 5 clones are there.
The game can handle only 5 guards, and the kid's body is counted as an extra guard.
David wrote: It seems to me that the saved game (in PRINCE.SAV) claims that it's for level 0 (offset 0x104 for the first slot).
I wonder why...
I probably found why: On level 3,4,11, the level number inside the level data is set to 0.
(See here about that part of the level format: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=3391)
Apoplexy can fix this since version 2.0 (that is, since it can edit PoP2 levels).
I wonder why did RoomShaker change that. (Bug?)

Update: "Clear entire level (F11)" will clear that.
You can restore it at: Level -> Edit Level Exceptions -> Edit Level-Init.

On level 14, in the first chessboard room, the jumping guards are invisible until they begin to fall.
There is a setting in the level data that tells whether to load the "falling guard" images, and it's turned off in that level.
RoomShaker can't change it, Apoplexy will always turn it off.
This can be fixed by hex-editing the level, or with Pr2LevEd. (Yet another level editor... :) )
But then the guards will appear in front of the Jaffar chess piece.
(Though this might match the weird perspective at the end of the level. :) )
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:By the way, I just noticed the hidden word on your map of Temple 03. :)
Yeah, "DIE".
Nice find; fun Easter egg.
Attachments
The "DIE" Easter egg text.
The "DIE" Easter egg text.
die.png (17.04 KiB) Viewed 4209 times
zethholyblade
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by zethholyblade »

Lol yar, DIE Prince DIE (considering that he fails on that leap of faith at the end of the tower) Also, the map itself was done to resemble a weapon of sorts, in this case an Axe. xD. What David has said is interesting as well as weird since I'm not very used to that software yet.

How do I change the level data again? I tried using Apoplexy but couldn't find an option for it.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Do you mean the internal level number?
In RoomShaker, you can set it at: Level -> Edit Level Exceptions -> Edit Level-Init.
In Apoplexy, you have to do something that the editor perceives as a change, and then save the level.
For example, click where the kid starts and place him there again (in the same direction).
Or go to the guards screen, and click on the number that is already marked with an X.
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

This is real hardcore, do you used something different from apoplexy???, becuase i can notice some weird stuff when i run this into the editor...
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

salvadorc17 wrote:[...] some weird stuff when i run this into the editor...
What weird stuff?
zethholyblade
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by zethholyblade »

salvadorc17 wrote:This is real hardcore, do you used something different from apoplexy???, becuase i can notice some weird stuff when i run this into the editor...
Hey there :D I only used Roomshaker to make this entire mod. I didn't know about Apoplexy until I came here, but it seems to be a very cool application too... with it I can make combat a lot harder, although I'm considering changing a few things as I finish the walkthrough.
zethholyblade
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by zethholyblade »

As stated on the other thread, I'm pretty much done with the walkthrough, so I've been making a few changes with Roomshaker first before I test Apoplexy.

Changes for v1.1 (Roomshaker)

- Caves 2 - Added a new wake-able skeleton (1SKL 3HP) at the first room you reach when heading to the 2nd life potion. Fixed the flat tile on 2nd life potion section. Set the skeleton at the middle section of the same room's HP to 5(was 3) and skill to 3(was 1). Increased the skeleton at the upper section of the 3rd life potion puzzle's HP and set it to 4 (was 2) and skill to 4 (was 2).

- Ruins 1 - Removed a wall blade at the room you enter after finishing the Indiana Jones run. Changed a few long haired heads into short ones (to avoid them getting stucked on gates). Also removed one floor tile by the section you get the broken sword :twisted: Changed a venom potion into a health one too, near the 2nd checkpoint.

- Ruins 2 - Changed certain long haired heads into short ones too, made some weaker too.

- Ruins 3 - Changed the first head into a short haired one, lowered skill to 1, that way it will be less hard to kill when you jump towards its position (or can simply wait for it to come out).

- Temple 1 - Changed the 2nd life potion into a health one, now you have to find a way to get the first one instead :twisted:

- Temple 4 - Cleaned the incomplete wall boxes at some parts of the level. Increased skill of some guards on final bridge, but decreased their HP in several cases :mrgreen: Added a new door that shuts upon entering the 2 crushers room following the bridge (this is just for create the feeling that you've been trapped, as you don't ever go back from this point). Added a new door to access the sacrificial pathway. Just requires to press a nearby button and get to it (nothing difficult :mrgreen:)

This is what I got so far, but before realeasing a v1.1. I want to add stuff with Apoplexy like:

- Rooftops: add more rooftops areas, already did this with Roomshaker, but some parts had blank backgrounds and looked nasty.

- Temple 3: add the flame sword(s) somewhere in this level, maybe at the end.

- Temple 4: increase bridge guards' skills or make them come from both sides, without messing up some guards that need to stay "naivish" at some parts of the map.

- Jaffar: see a way to make it challenging... I dunno Roomshaker didn't let me do many changes there, the end keeps being anticlimatic. According to the PoP2 Bible, they had AMAZING plans for this level, and they couldn't finish them which is real sad (would've been a lot better than the temples imo).

- Find a way to make bridge fights knock enemies off to the abyss, by changing the scenario on Roomshaker, you can no longer perform them fatalities.

- See if I can add enemies or creatures from different areas to some levels.

=======================

I'd like to check on your ideas after enduring the harships of this mod. I can imagine that you guys are used to finish the game with reasonable spare time left (and do speedruns too) xD but that wasn't the idea for this mod. I wanted to make players feel the Prince's dire struggle to save his beloved bride against all odds (even if it means 1 second left to save her).
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

zethholyblade wrote: - Rooftops: add more rooftops areas, already did this with Roomshaker, but some parts had blank backgrounds and looked nasty.
Rooms of the rooftops level require special backgrounds, currently Apoplexy can't help with that.
You might be able to copy existing backgrounds into other rooms, though. (With PR.)
Some info about custom rooms: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=3545
zethholyblade wrote: - Find a way to make bridge fights knock enemies off to the abyss, by changing the scenario on Roomshaker, you can no longer perform them fatalities.
Apoplexy can't edit that yet, but I already told Norbert where is it stored: viewtopic.php?p=14945#p14945

In RoomShaker, these display as >128 hitpoints, but unfortunately RS says hitpoints have to be in 0..10 when I press OK.
(And skill has to be in 0..8, even though dynamic guards of the original level 13 room 32 have skill 11.)
zethholyblade
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by zethholyblade »

Hey David, thanks for replying.
David wrote: Rooms of the rooftops level require special backgrounds, currently Apoplexy can't help with that.
You might be able to copy existing backgrounds into other rooms, though. (With PR.)
Some info about custom rooms: viewtopic.php?f=70&t=3545
Originaly the rooftops level had about 2 or 3 more buildings following the palace, I did copy them and it worked, but the there was always a uhm 'blank' spot in them and didn't look right. If Apoplexy can't do anything about then I guess I'll change it with RS again xD.
David wrote: Apoplexy can't edit that yet, but I already told Norbert where is it stored: viewtopic.php?p=14945#p14945
In RoomShaker, these display as >128 hitpoints, but unfortunately RS says hitpoints have to be in 0..10 when I press OK.
(And skill has to be in 0..8, even though dynamic guards of the original level 13 room 32 have skill 11.)
They say people learn better from their mistakes which is right. Ok, I cannot change the bridge to make enemies fall from it yet. There's another issue, I tried apoplexy and made the bridge guys a lot more vicious which is fine. The problem was that it also affected guys at the begining of this level, making it difficult to clear the 1st puzzle in the starting area as showed in my last walkthrough video (temple 4). I really like how intense combat becomes that way but at the begining and another part of this dungeon, we shouldn't get this 'caffeine-infused guards' otherwise you can't clear the puzles as intended.
zethholyblade
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Post by zethholyblade »

Heya guys been a while (Busy with rl stuff and other projects).

Had a nasty virus attacking my PC and took me some time to find my way back around here.

Anyhow this is the version 1.1 of this mod for those interested to try it out. These are the following changes:

- Decreased ammount of enemies in Ruins 1-3, Temples 1-2, and Jaffar levels.

- Decreased health points for enemies at Ruins and Temple levels.

- Increased skill for certain 'miniboss' / 'elite' enemies. (Special caution with the last long-haired head at Ruins 3)

- Improved layouts in several areas for Ruins and Temple levels. YES, there are less wall-blades now and more (challenging) architectural puzzles (including a pretty cool stealth-type one in Temple 3). Added some easter eggs and random stuff around. Expect a more fluid parkour mechanic at some parts.

- Final level couldn´t be changed even though I tried several times for this version, however I decreased the ammount of enemies there as well to make it less tedious as some of you were running in with little time left xD

I made a hybrid prince.dat using both Roomshaker and Apoplexy, I must say I really liked some of its features to come up with this version.

Some screenshots (with change examples):

1) Quicker run & jump course. Gates open up sooner so you won´t stand waiting.
2) No enemies, quicker run & jump course added.
3) Better quick puzzle. Wherever you trap the head at affects your return through the top floor
4) A very quick yet scary puzzle :mrgreen:
5) Stealth puzzle about to be finished
6) Added lovely wall decorations :3

I'm also making a more parkour oriented mod, using some of the nice tricks I've learned :) for those of you who like doing speed runs.

Please share your thoughts and ideas to further improve this :3
Attachments
PRINCE.DAT
(379.59 KiB) Downloaded 113 times