Documentation (Prince of Persia 1 Special Events)

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Documentation (Prince of Persia 1 Special Events)

Post by Norbert »

David wrote: December 27th, 2018, 5:12 pmAttached is a slightly updated version in ODT and PDF.
Thanks, I've put them on the website.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning:
As you probably know, if the prince (or a guard) has only one HP left, it's blinking.
After the time stops, this blinking will stop as well, since the blinking is based on the remaining ticks. (See my post and the SDLPoP source.)
I noticed this in the last video here: viewtopic.php?p=25806#p25806

Another, I've found a grammatical mistake in the document: "Each regular blue potions takes".
It should be either "Each of the regular blue potions takes" or "Each regular blue potion takes".
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

The documentation is missing a rather well-known thing about the shadow on level 12:

When the prince hurts the shadow, both lose a HP.
(It's one-way in the DOS version, but two-way in the Apple II and SNES versions.
The difference was noticed by NITM-T here: viewtopic.php?p=29098#p29098 )

If either the prince or the shadow dies, the other dies too.
(This is two-way in the Apple II and the SNES versions as well.)
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

1. Don't you think this topic is misplaced on the forum?
2. Norbert, if you are updating the doc, also check this. You can add the "more tiles appearing bug" related to special event under Level 12a.
3. On Level 5, on the top row, if there's a sword, sword, potion on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tile, the shadow would try to drink the potion, and then would get misaligned and try to pick up the sword and get misaligned again and pick up the sword on the 2nd tile, making repetition of shadow impossible. Found and posted first here.
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: May 31st, 2020, 5:27 pm1. Don't you think this topic is misplaced on the forum?
Not really; several threads about documentation that can be used by modders are on this "New Levels and Mods For DOS" board.
atrueprincefanfrom18 wrote: May 31st, 2020, 5:27 pm2. Norbert, if you are updating the doc, [...] 3. [...]
When it's updated, I'll make sure to read what's mentioned.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Another thing which might be worth adding:
When the shadow, the mouse, or the awakening skeleton appears, the (regular) guard in the room disappears (if there was one).
Additionally, in case of the mouse, the guard reappears when you leave the room and reenter it. (See the Funny Moments link below.)

People have mentioned a few times that the mouse makes guards disappear:
viewtopic.php?p=30504#p30504 -- Prince of Persia Funny Moments
viewtopic.php?p=30109#p30109 -- "I found it in Lihinghntom's palace"
viewtopic.php?p=27513#p27513 -- Researching the Repetition of Time
viewtopic.php?p=9262#p9262 -- Secrets of Dungeons

I wonder if the loose floor on level 4 between the last guard and the mirror's room was added because of this.
That is, to prevent the player luring the guard there, because then this guard would disappear when you jump through the mirror.

On level 6, the pit between the fat guard and the shadow's room might have a similar purpose.
If I remove the pit and I back off from the swordfight to the shadow's room, the shadow will be holding a sword while standing straight, like the prince here.
But what's more important, the shadow won't step forward if you jump over to him while he is in this state.
VelCheran
Vizier
Vizier

Post by VelCheran »

That last point is very interesting as it could create puzzle ideas in future mods. :)
(the other as well, but they already did)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

David wrote: May 31st, 2020, 11:23 am The documentation is missing a rather well-known thing about the shadow on level 12:
These are missing as well:
• When the prince and/or the shadow dies, the screen flashes white.
• If you put your sword away, the shadow does the same.
• If you draw your sword again, the shadow does the same.
• If you run or step (in either direction) while the shadow's sword is put away, the shadow runs forward.
• If the prince touches the shadow, they merge. (Merging is referred in 12.3, but not explained.)
• Merging means that the prince takes the shadow's place, and the shadow disappears.
• After the merge, the screen flashes white, and the prince flashes for a while between regular and shadow appearances.
• After the prince stops flashing, a tune is played. (The same as when finishing a level.)
• The tiles mentioned in 12.3 can appear only after the prince stopped flashing.
(SDLPoP has an option, "fix_hidden_floors_during_flashing", which changes this so that the floors can appear right after the prince merged the shadow.)

This one is not level-specific:
• If the prince dies when the opponent is the shadow, a different tune is played than usual. (The same as when finishing level 4.)
The shadow doesn't have to be on the screen for this.
Examples:
• On level 6, go see the shadow, then go right and fall into the pit.
• On level 5, visit the room where the shadow steals the potion, then die anywhere without seeing a regular guard first.
In either case, this special music will be played.

The workings of the demo level could be detailed as well:
• The prince will do the pre-recorded moves until he draws his sword.
• After the prince draws his sword, he fights like a guard with skill 10, and the guard's skill is overridden to 11.
See here: viewtopic.php?p=33400#p33400
• When the guard dies, (the checkpoint flag is set and) the prince starts running forward.

• The demo level doesn't display its level number. Neither does level 14 and 15.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

David wrote: April 11th, 2021, 12:19 pm I wonder if the loose floor on level 4 between the last guard and the mirror's room was added because of this.
That is, to prevent the player luring the guard there, because then this guard would disappear when you jump through the mirror.
eien86 found a way to do exactly that. :) viewtopic.php?p=33073#p33073