POP I to POP II level converter (and vice-versa)

mickey96
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

POP I to POP II level converter (and vice-versa)

Post by mickey96 »

This is recovery of this thread:
Butcher wrote:Well... I'm a member of this forum since May but only recently I began to post topics here and in that time I registered only to get the protected files in the posts and sometimes I did read a few posts.

And this explains how I know much about Jalal, RSAuthor, poirot (CusPOP/www.princed.org) and other guys here...

To be exactly, I reached POPUW.COM by the http://www.princed.org web-site and a few years ago I had knowledge about the The Great Escape created by Mr. Jalal Noureddine, Shadow of Castle, LOSVCI, Tournament, Revolutions created by 'programmer' and several levelsets

I also was a member from the old http://www.princed.org forum.

Well, since the releasing of RoomShaker II (cool) Cool comes to my mind the creation/building of a POP I to II level converter (and POP II to POP I)

Since both file formats are known.

As the chompers and spikes aren't available in POP II, well, the spikes are available but in a different way,

They could be changed to simple floor tiles. And the same would be with lava pool and other traps in the POP II environment.

Well, with exception of the rooftops, beach and the jaffar levels in pop II since these levels use special effects.

Something like..

1 - you open the levels.dat (pop 1) and prince.dat (pop 2)
2 - you select the level you want or a range of levels to convert
3 - you define or assign the target levels in the prince.dat or levels.dat file you want to overwrite.

Example #1: I want to convert the third level from my levels.dat (pop1) and assign it to the fifth level of the prince.dat (pop2)

Example #2: I would like to convert all four 'temple' levels from my prince.dat to pop1 and assign them to levels 2-5 in the levels.dat

This tool, I think would be useful for mod creators

To RSAuthor: I think this topic could be addressed to you. Wink

RoomShaker: cool name: Laughing (singing) let's shake, shake, shake rooms

Bye!!!
mk1994, now mk1995 wrote:Good idea! I, already thought about making wall spikes and lava pools and dart guns and such into the PoP1 game, but I would have to do heavily hex-editing and I can't do that!
programmer wrote:The idea is nice Wink
But I must say I've never thought about something like that.
jalal wrote:
programmer wrote:The idea is nice Wink
But I must say I've never thought about something like that.
Neither did I. But that's a good idea.
poirot wrote:The level converter stuff was a feature scheduled for PV4, unfortunately I didn't have time to keep working, but if you want, and you are a coder, you can help. I'll state the idea as a response in the other post you made.
david wrote:I've made a PoP 1-2 level converter, you can download it here:
http://web.archive.org/web/200711300727 ... onv_dl.htm
For now, only Pop 1->2 converting works, but I'm planning to make the 2->1 part, too.
mk1994, now mk1995 wrote:This is funny. But level 3 is impossible, since you're unable to reach the gate before it closes... Sad
Butcher wrote: david: Finally we meet ourselves, man!!! Razz

My great thanks for your level converter... I was planning to build one, now I think I won't need to make one. Dahhhnnn Rolling Eyes Laughing

My suggestions:

1 - Create options for the spikes/chompers in Pop1, aboute what to do with them, you know, if I want them converted to simple floor tiles, lava pools, spears on wall (vertical spikes) or that thing that shoot darts in you.

2 - Level placement, where I want my starting/ending room and the other rooms

And for Pop2 to Pop1 level converter you could do the following:

1 - Check if the Pop2 Level has less than 24 rooms, If it has more than 24 rooms do a routine where you is allowed to do tree things.

- Place the first 24 rooms on a level and the discard the rest.
- Specify which rooms you want.
- Place the first 24 rooms on a level and the rest on the next level with a little warning asking if you really want to do that.

2 - Create options for the lava pools, etc.. (the same as in the suggestion one for Pop1)

3 - Level placement, where I want my starting/ending room and the other rooms

And of course, select a range of levels to be converted, not just one by one.

I need to say that my planned level converter would have all those options. As you built one. I need to say: Waaaaaaahhhhhnnnnn!!!! Laughing

Hey man! I'm a nice guy. See ya! Wink
david wrote:
mk1994, now mk1995 wrote:This is funny. But level 3 is impossible, since you're unable to reach the gate before it closes... Sad
This isn't a bug in the converter, it's a difference between the two games.
Butcher wrote:3 - Level placement, where I want my starting/ending room and the other rooms
Why do you want an option to change the starting room?
Butcher wrote:I'm saying the location of it. Example: In Roomshaker we have a 24x24 grid.

Example: I want my starting room to be placed at line 2, column 15.
mk1994, now mk1995 wrote:
david wrote:
This isn't a bug in the converter, it's a difference between the two games.
I know. I just wanted to tell it.
That's all I can do for now. Feel free to contribute more.
Refueled my car! Now I can keep going!
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: POP I to POP II level converter (and vice-versa)

Post by Norbert »

David, in September 2007 you created a PoP1 to PoP2 level converter, which was available at your Freeweb.hu website.
I think it's no longer available anywhere. Maybe you can attach it to a post in this thread. Thanks.

(mirror)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

I attached it to this post.
(By the way, the source is a mess: there are no (useful) comments, and the tiles are identified by numbers, not (enum) names. But at least I used structs instead of the ugly pointer arithmetic that you can see in my PoP2 level editor.)

This is included in the PoP1 Total Pack, although without source. (launcher/pr12/)

The topic in the PoPUW archive: page 1, page 2

The program can do only PoP1 -> PoP2 conversion.
The biggest problem with PoP2 -> PoP1 conversion is that PoP2 levels may have up to 32 rooms, but PoP1 levels are limited to 24 rooms.

There are two PoP1 mods based on the PoP2 levels:
http://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000102 (The Shadow and The Flame Remake, by Robert)
http://www.popot.org/custom_levels.php?mod=0000105 (PoP2 Split Levels, by Kor Jiek and Robert)
Attachments
Pr12Conv.zip
(284.18 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:I attached it to this post.
Cool. I've also added it to popot.org here, so there's a download mirror (inc. source).
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

http://www.popot.org/other_useful_tools.php?tool=Convert wrote:This tool converts PoP1 levels to PoP2 levels (and vice versa, somewhat).
No, only PoP1->PoP2 is implemented.
David wrote:The program can do only PoP1 -> PoP2 conversion.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

I allowed the screenshot to mislead me. ;)
Corrected.