Resource files from Prince 1 MAC version?

xone
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Resource files from Prince 1 MAC version?

Post by xone »

I'm fresh in here so I say Hello to everyone..

I have question.. Does anybody know any way to extract resource files (bitmaps) from Mac version of Prince 1?
I wanted make PC version with graphics from Mac version (just like I saw mod with Snes graphics).
Or maybe someone already did something like this?

Regards, X.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Resource files from Prince 1 MAC version?

Post by mk1995 »

You could undergo the tedious and painful way of sprite-ripping, or you could wait for some skilled developers out there (*cough, cough* David *cough*) to create a nifty program that does the job.

Unfortunately, I have to crush your hopes on this ambition, anyway. Two things why:
1: Obviously, the sprites from the Macintosh version contain much more colour than the DOS sprites - i.e. more than 16, so that won't work, unless you tone down the graphics to something more simplistic.
2: As far as I know, the Macintosh sprites are larger than the DOS sprites. This problem can be resolved by just shrinking the sprites down to needed size, but can result in a severe loss of quality if you use pixels instead of vectors (and with that, I'm sure you don't have any other choice than to use pixels).

Welcome to the forums, by the way.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
xone
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by xone »

Oh.. You are right.. I didn't take into account the colour space.. Resolution isn't a problem, but 256 colours can be hard to convert into 16 colours.
Well, I still can play using BasiliskII.
Autor_Serwisu
Vizier
Vizier

Post by Autor_Serwisu »

Pozdrowienia dla rodaka! 8)
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

If you're going to write a bit or two of your mother language, then please do so with English translation.

This is an English forum, after all. >.<

Polish language goes here.

A_S: Really?

Yeah, really.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

Didn't Brain create a version with the Mac graphics? Or at least he was working on it if I remember correctly. I've misplaced his website URL so if someone has it, can they post it here? Maybe we can even inform him that the old PoPUW community is now here and invite him to join us. I remember he did some really amazing graphics work and released some truly beautiful conversions.
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Nope... AFAIK he converted the SNES sprites to DOS format. But even that had some sacrifices.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

mk1995 wrote:or you could wait for some skilled developers out there (*cough, cough* David *cough*) to create a nifty program that does the job.
Well, I've extracted all the graphics from the Mac version.
Link: http://www.freeweb.hu/princepersia/en/macsprites_dl.htm

One note:
The transparent color (color index 0) is marked with white, because the game palette has white at position 0. The white in the prince's clothing and in the texts is not real white because it's a bit darker.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:
mk1995 wrote:or you could wait for some skilled developers out there (*cough, cough* David *cough*) to create a nifty program that does the job.
Well, I've extracted all the graphics from the Mac version.
Link: http://www.freeweb.hu/princepersia/en/macsprites_dl.htm
I'm attaching the package to this post, as the freeweb.hu link no longer works.
Attachments
macsprites.zip
PoP1 for MAC sprites.
(1010.48 KiB) Downloaded 146 times