Alpha Testers

A PoP1 level editor that's no longer under active development.
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

I'm so sorry to communicate we are suffering a delay because moogi (the main coder) have lost his laptop in the subway with the latest source code version :(
bearpawz
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by bearpawz »

Hi all,

I just stumbled accross the level editors a few days ago. I think this is very good idea.

I downloaded the alfa7 and have found the same bugs as listed already. If I find more I'll post.

Also, I would like to help in some of the coding if possible. The down part is I don't know C++ very well, I work mostly in VB but I play around in C++ once in a while. If I can help in anyway I would like to. Which version of MSVC are you using? (I currently own Visual studio 5.0 and I have VB 6.0 and VC 6.0 as well.

Also I appologize in advance for any mistakes... I only speak and read english and this whole web site is in some other language (any pointers on how to change that would be appreciated)

email is bearpawz@bearpawz.net
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

Cool, I'll send you a mail as soon as possible. We are working in MSVC 6.0 for PV3 and MSVB 6.0 for PRM. I don't know lot about C++, in fact I only made a few changes in PV3 and I converted the map handling library into a C++ class. I've also learnt Ansi C less than a year ago. :)

PR and the map handling library are made in Ansi C.

If you wanna help you can in the project you want, we need help in all projects. Just pick the one you think you'll fix better in or you like.
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

ohh, and if you have problems in the forum language, just pick English in your account options in http://www.cnu.net.ar/modules.php?name=Your_Account

I think you've picked the wrong option.
Praetor_PredAtor
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Praetor_PredAtor »

Another bug... I cannot place the large Level Exit door.

There will be a facility to edit guard colours and skills, won't there? And what about the number of health points that guards have?
Praetor_PredAtor
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Would something like a right-click popup menu on guards and potions be acceptable? ... With a "properties" menu item so you can modify what the potion does or the numerous properties of a guard.
Praetor_PredAtor
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Ah, another small bug with a keyboard shortcut. The menu says that Ctrl+Shift+T selects the flame torch, but that keystroke doesn't actually do anything.
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

Great, there are some repeated bugs, but I'll update the list
BillyPrinceBonnie
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by BillyPrinceBonnie »

I tried making some levels.. I noticed by accident a weird thing. If you place a torch-tile at the very right of a screen... the torch will be at the very left of the next screen (right of the previous where you placed the torch-tile) . Although the torch is there, it isn't animated anymore. It will be frozen.

You can also place a torch left of a pillar, the torch will then be displayed through the pillar.

These aren't bugs in the editor; I guess Mechner just didn't feel the need to place a torch at the very end of the screen so he didn't fix that.. And placing a torch behind a pillar is ridiculous in any case. But I was wondering if the editor could be made so it doesn't allow this. ?
I guess it's a bit difficult to make the first torch-position animated.
If you don't understand what I am saying I can send a levels.dat
BillyPrinceBonnie
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by BillyPrinceBonnie »

Also.. I usually play a cracked Prince1 but I also own the Collection cd-rom. I remembered how some dungeon levels had different colours there.
I just checked and level 3 is very green. I believe level 12 was very brown. I haven't had the time now to play through that game though so I don't know exactly which levels are coloured differently. (and megahit doesn't seem to work with Collection Prince??)
The changed colours aren't stated in the levels.dat file. Have you figured out yet in which file they have changed those colours and could it be made possible in the future that we can do that with the editor? Blue is nice but green and brown are a nice change once in a while.. greetings
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

yes, I knew the problem with the torchs, it's a game bug, the only thing that the editor can add and it isn't in the game is a torch and a broken floor in the same panel (this wont's appear in the game but you can add it in the editor). Anyways, we'll validate this problem and others (like a floor over a big gate) in edition time.

About the colors: they are saved un vungeon.dat, you can edit this using our PR editor.

If [b]megahit[/b] doesn't work, try <em>improved</em>

Post by Guest »

How do you add guards and how do you edit the starting position?

Post by Guest »

Hello Poirot,

The following functions don't work for me:
Add guards,
change start and debug positions.
Can you help me on this?

Tholdos
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

Hi Tholdos, those functions aren't yet integrated with PV3, but you can download the [i]PV2.5 Expansion 1[/i] that "allows edition of start position and guards" :) for the moment they are a bit harder to use, but they work!

Post by Guest »

I downloaded PV 2.5 Extension 1, but I can't figure out how to use it. I read the "readme.txt."-file, but I don't know how to use the codes. The file says:
Add guard: a, remove guard: r.
Where do I have to use those codes and how exactly should I use them?

And what about the changing of a level from a dungeon to a palace, or the other way around? Every time I switch levels it has been set to the original status again.

Tholdos