compiling pv3/ (...PV4/?)

A PoP1 level editor that's no longer under active development.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

compiling pv3/ (...PV4/?)

Post by Norbert »

If I'm not mistaken there are currently two directories in Git related to the Princed level editor: pv3/ and PV4/.
I looked inside pv3/ and it seems to have been used with Microsoft Developer Studio.
I tried compiling the sources in PV4/ (note: not pv3/) on my GNU/Linux box, but I have to fix one error after another.
What is the status of these directories; is PV4/ supposed to compile properly?
Can someone with Windows compile a binary of pv3/ for us to use? (See my related question here.)
I know it's unstable/incomplete software, but I (and probably others) would still like to see it in action.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: compiling pv3/ (...PV4/?)

Post by Norbert »

Thanks for mentioning it was on this website. I looked at the Princed website in the Wayback Machine and found a link to the binary version 3 alpha7. As I just mentioned here, I've added it to popot.org: http://www.popot.org/level_editors/soft ... a7.bin.exe (Also linked from that editor's page at popot.org.) I'm still curious about the PV4/ directory and hope poirot or someone else knows more about the status of both GUI versions.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

I'm still curious about the PV4/ directory and hope poirot or someone else knows more about the status of both GUI versions.
The only screenshot I could find about PV4 is this: http://www.princed.org/content/files/sc ... v4dev1.png (Not very promising...)
However, this is not a screenshot of the version that is currently in the Git.
Norbert wrote: I tried compiling the sources in PV4/ (note: not pv3/) on my GNU/Linux box, but I have to fix one error after another.
What is the status of these directories; is PV4/ supposed to compile properly?
I could compile the Git version (on Windows). What kind of errors do you get?

However, this version seems to be far from complete. All it does is:
- it reads a level from lev/level2.plv,
- puts the rooms together into a map,
- and writes the following to the standard output:
- PLV metadata,
- arrangement of rooms,
- all the tiles in the complete map, as hex numbers.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:(Not very promising...)
Okay, possibly not worth investing time into trying to get it to compile, but...
David wrote:I could compile the Git version (on Windows). What kind of errors do you get?
...this is what I've got so far:

git clone git://sdfg.com.ar/fp-git.git
cd fp-git/PV4
make

-----
In file included from src/level.cpp:5:0:
include/pop1levelformat.h:14:2: error: extra qualification ‘Pop1LevelFormat::’ on member ‘Pop1LevelFormat’ [-fpermissive]
src/level.cpp: In constructor ‘Level::Level(const char*)’:
src/level.cpp:38:31: error: ‘strncmp’ was not declared in this scope
src/level.cpp: In member function ‘void Level::arrangeRooms()’:
src/level.cpp:211:30: warning: array subscript has type ‘char’ [-Wchar-subscripts]
make: *** [.level.o] Error 1
-----

Added to src/level.cpp:
#include <string.h>

Removed from include/pop1levelformat.h:
Pop1LevelFormat::

Running the program results in:
error number -2
bye bye

Moved apoplexy's levels/* files to bin/lev/*

Running the program results in (just):
f['Editor Name']='PR'
f['Editor Ve']='

I don't feel like looking into it any further. ;)

The screenshot you mentioned appears to be unrelated to the code, but indeed - as you wrote - PV4 related.
Judging from the screenshot, Enrique was working on a PyGTK rewrite to make the Princed GUI cross-platform.
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

That's true. I was coding PV3 with moogi, who told me he'd lost the only computer with the latest source code in a subway in Seoul. After that he disappeared, so I've started a new version: PV4. This is probably because of the frustration of having worked a lot and lost everything done in the last month plus the problem of the portability. At the time cross platform technologies were very bad, only wxwidgets were interesting at the time, so I've started the editor in with pygame and wxwidgets. Then, I've seen how bad it performed so I've started from scratch in Java with eclipse rich client platform. So I ported the level handling functions to java, for both pop1 and pop2, while at the same time collaborating with Brendon in RS definitions of PLV and figuring out some stuff. Pv4 was going to be a full IDE with resource and level edition. With few time to keep working I stopped working on that project. Anyways, PV4 was always an idea, not a software, it never existed, or at least it was never functional. The spirit of PV4 was doing a WYSIWYG level editor simplifying the room and door linking problems.

The good news are that I've made a pull request to include a new live and built-in level editor inside SDLPoP!