To improve roomshaker

Modern Prince of Persia 1 and 2 level editors for Windows.
GameMaster
Sheikh
Sheikh

To improve roomshaker

Post by GameMaster »

1. support for pop4d levels.
2. uhhhhh............. thats all :lol:
GameMaster
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by GameMaster »

really? thats a bummer
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

princed V2 for DOS supports strange room connections ;)
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

PV3 has a very limited support, I stop coding it when I met Brendon and saw the great editor he has comed out with. There should be a Feature in RS that allows that kind of linking. But as far as I know, PV2 has the best visual room linking editor (showing the 24 rooms and the links in the borders).
CrazyDiamond
Vizier
Vizier

Post by CrazyDiamond »

poirot wrote:There should be a Feature in RS that allows that kind of linking.
Could you get more information please? I can't use PV2 :(
remember when you were young / you shone like the sun / shine on you crazy diamond
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

Ithink there is an advanced linking editor in RS, after you edit all the screens, try finding it in the menu and edit them. Save all your work and be very careful because if a screen remains unlinked it is lost. I think the option is "room linking". If there isn't such option, you still can edit the file with an hex editor (I can explain how).
CrazyDiamond
Vizier
Vizier

Post by CrazyDiamond »

I haven't found that option...
then I downloaded PV2 but the file .exe doesn't open!!
How does it work?
remember when you were young / you shone like the sun / shine on you crazy diamond
Zeta
Efendi
Efendi

Re: To improve roomshaker

Post by Zeta »

I'm willing to bet that the issue comes in with wrapping levels (or wrapping groups of rooms), where the bottom exit of room a leads to room b, and the bottom exit of room b leads to room a (which can result in a bottomless pit that doesn't kill the player). same things can be applied to other rooms, and even seemingly conflicting "room exits" can be made. the only thing I've seen that results in an outright lockup is a room exiting to itself. I haven't had time to examine the PoP4D levels yet, but based on what's been said, I think that is the case.

considering that I plan on making a level in my levelset where every exit of every room leads to another room (something that can't be done within roomshaker, and doing so prevents the level from being editable in roomshaker as of 1.78-R23), you might want to consider adding some rudimentary support for at least setting these types of connections up.

also, other things of note:

1) please update the level 3 info in the documentation. it's semi-wrong/misleading on the "restart point" information. incidentally, this is the ONLY level where the initial start point and the exit room can be the same room, but only if you force the restart point to be used. I made a separate thread concerning this one.
2) Level 12's info doesn't mention the fact that entering one of the rooms triggers the end of the level and the start of the next level.
3) Level 14 doesn't play fair if you die. it might just be a bug in 1.4, but dying and then restarting the level does not prevent the "press button to continue" timer from counting down, thus restarting the game.
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

I do really wish Roomshaker would allow room-linking for advanced modders. When I do room linking, I have to make my whole level and write down which rooms I want linked, and I use Princed to room link, then I play the level. Sometimes I might forget something and have to unlink the rooms so roomshaker won't say "corrupt levels file."
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

I do the same! (in fact that's the reason why I still keep princed v2 in the download section)
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

That's great. I had retired from Prince of Persia for a while because of popuw.com going down. I recently found this website and decided to start level modding again! I new I'd need it so I searched through princed.org for Princed Version 2!
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
Brendon James
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Brendon James »

Hi All, I realise there are concerns about the Room-Linking in RoomShaker,

Unfortunately for those wanting RoomShaker to work with the strange room-connections, RoomShaker will not be getting that support, the purpose of the RoomShaker level-mapping is to filter out these types of 'Mistakes' this is programmed into a major cornerstone of RoomShaker's code (since the very first release) and would take a total room-code rewrite.

These types of levels are considered corrupt by RoomShaker, it does not mean the level is not usable by Prince of Persia, It's just that way to protect RS presentation and navigation.

The same is true for RoomShaker II.

I am truely sorry for any inconvenience but this kind of room-link protection is one of the main goals I had for RoomShaker when begining the project and I still believe in this. I recommend Princed V2 if you want to do this kind of room-linking (simply make all the rooms up with roomshaker, then do the linking with Princed)

Regards,

- Brendon James, RoomShaker Author.