Setting a skill 12 Guard bug

Modern Prince of Persia 1 and 2 level editors for Windows.
fatguard
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Setting a skill 12 Guard bug

Post by fatguard »

Hello,
I don't know if this is already known but there is an interesting bug in roomshaker that allows setting a skill 12 guard:

Actually, like you might know Prince of Persia has 12 guard types, but apoplexy and roomshaker don't support the last two.
In roomshaker however, there is a bug through which it is possible to set a skill 12 guard anyway.
If you have a room with no guard and set a new one, when you select "skill 10" while setting the guard, it will actual become a skill 12 guard. When you select this guard afterwards in the list of skills (1 to 10) no skill is selected.
If you load the file in apoplexy the guard will be correctly displayed as a level 11 guard there (apoplexy counts skills from 0 to 11) even though it also doesn't support the last 2 skills like roomshaker.

I don't know if this happens in all versions of roomshaker. I also stumbled about a few skill 12 guards in different mods, which might have been intended to be skill 10 guards by the creators.

Skill 10 and 12 act noticibly different. While skill 10 has 255 parryprob, which means it will always parry when it blocks, skill 12 only has 150 or something like that. On the other hand skill 10 has 145 impblockprob while skill 12 has 175.
This means skill 12 is less likely to parry than skill 10 but also less likely to let itself getting hit.

I hope this was helpful and not something that is already known be everyone.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Setting a skill 12 Guard bug

Post by David »

fatguard wrote:If you have a room with no guard and set a new one, when you select "skill 10" while setting the guard, it will actual become a skill 12 guard. When you select this guard afterwards in the list of skills (1 to 10) no skill is selected.
I checked this, it works.
There is another bug: If you set a skill 9 guard, he will become a skill 10 guard. (Why not 11? Then we could use all the skills!)
These bugs also work in the other way: in the "Guard Here" dialog, skill 10 appears as 9, and 12 as 10.

This also works if the room already has a guard, just choose "Guard Here".
fatguard wrote:I don't know if this happens in all versions of roomshaker. I also stumbled about a few skill 12 guards in different mods, which might have been intended to be skill 10 guards by the creators.
This bug could have been noticed easier if RoomShaker displayed the guard skill in the room, near the arrow that represents the guard.
fatguard wrote:I hope this was helpful and not something that is already known be everyone.
I never heard of this bug before. And probably nobody else knew it, because then somebody would have posted it.
Someone here asked how to make a guard with skill 11 or 12.
SonJoe021
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by SonJoe021 »

I've tried that but it is still not working.
Josepha
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

I'm not sure if the bug might be this. I tried this out with RS 1.79 rel 24:-
All these years using RS, I was always using "Guard Here" and having a 'classic' pool of 10 skills for guards in my mods.
There is actually a difference when opening up the "Change Skill" dialog. After some testing, "Change Skill" follows Apoplexy skill's list but missing the last 2 skills.

Will mention more on this in viewtopic.php?f=73&t=3208&start=15#p18984
oitofelix
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by oitofelix »

Just for the record, MININIM's level editor supports the 12 legacy skills, and furthermore allows for each skill attribute[*] to be specified on a per guard basis.

[*] The supported skill attributes are: attack, counter attack, defense, counter defense, advance, return, refraction period and extra lives.
Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix)
MININIM author
Brendos
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Brendos »

Hi. I have not worked on RS for some time now but i will look into this issue. Please post any further info and i will try to correct it.

Also i like the idea of showing skill at guard icon, ill try to add it too. Cheers

-Brendon James

Or email at brendos500@gmail.com
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Brendos wrote:-Brendon James
Hey, welcome back, 5+ years since you were here. :)
You may be able to retrieve the password for your old "Brendon James" forum account via this forum's sendpassword functionality.
If it uses an old e-mail address you can no longer access, you could ask poirot (ecalot TA princed TOD org) to modify the address for you.
By the way, since your iprimus.com.au website disappeared a while back, are you planning to relaunch it?
Brendos
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Brendos »

Hi, I've updated RS to use guard skill index 0 - 11 and cleaned up the lists as well as included a skill label to the room editor (as suggested by another user, which I reckon is a good idea) I believe this to be what people are talking about.

I've also made the nav buttons nicer as well as added some more error checks for level 11.

I've added it to the attachments for this email, please update any official release list you may have at princed.org with it as I no longer have a website for my programs.

This release: RS v1.8 Release 25.

Cheers,

-Brendon James.

P.S I'm currently working on an editor for the original "Syndicate" from Bullfrog software (Synddev) as well as some other personal projects so I have not worked on any RS for quite some time now.
Attachments
RS180_REL25.zip
(486.68 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Brendos wrote:This release: RS v1.8 Release 25.
I have updated popot.org (the RoomShaker page and the PoP1 Guard Types document).
For princed.org, you can read information here.
For popuw.com, you could contact Jalal (jalaln TA gmail TOD com).

Note that RoomShaker currently lists skills from 0-12 when choosing Guard->Guard Here, maybe you meant to list 0-11.

Probably because I'm on Linux, but when I run the application in Wine (a Windows emulator), choosing to play the game directly or via DOSBox both give me a DOSBox window that disappears after a second or so.
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

Brendos wrote:RS v1.8 Release 25
Referring to the above latest release...
Norbert wrote:Note that RoomShaker currently lists skills from 0-12 when choosing Guard->Guard Here, maybe you meant to list 0-11.
Change Skill is the same with Apoplexy.

However now with Guard Here there is a 13th skill guard with 'Skill 12' in addition to 0-11.
Not really a bug, or a big deal though, as he seems to act like either skill 1,2,3 or 6...I think
Emiliano
Wizard Scribe
Wizard Scribe

Post by Emiliano »

I can directly set a skill 12 guard in a room without guards, and while playing it seems to have a different behavior from the other skills.
The skill does not change anymore to other skill and I can set it in RS180_Rel25 version
Just watch the fight and tell us what skill it is.
Attachments
Skill 12.png
Last edited by Emiliano on August 26th, 2020, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emiliano
Wizard Scribe
Wizard Scribe

Post by Emiliano »

Watch the behavior and tell me if does it work like a known skill for you, just 51 seconds.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

There are only 12 different skills total, namely 0-11 (apoplexy shows 10 as "a", 11 as "b").
RoomShaker's "12" is not actually 12, it's just one of the skills from 0-11 listed again.
(Dunno which one from 0-11, probably David knows.)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: August 26th, 2020, 7:55 pm There are only 12 different skills total, namely 0-11 (apoplexy shows 10 as "a", 11 as "b").
RoomShaker's "12" is not actually 12, it's just one of the skills from 0-11 listed again.
(Dunno which one from 0-11, probably David knows.)
If I add a guard with Skill 12 in RoomShaker, Apoplexy will show it as "LVL:12".
This means that RoomShaker indeed sets skill 12.

In the levels\ folder of Apoplexy, find the PLV file corresponding to the level of the new guard, and open it in a hex editor.
The guard skills are stored at these offsets: 0x8BA = room 1, 0x8BB = room 2, ..., 0x8D1 = room 24.
You can see the 0x0C byte there as well.

Skill 12 is out of range, though.
When PoP tries to read strikeprob[12], restrikeprob[12], etc., it will actually read whatever number is after the end of the array.
In the case of DOS PoP it's the first item of the next array: strikeprob[12] == restrikeprob[0], restrikeprob[12] == blockprob[0], and so on.
Emiliano
Wizard Scribe
Wizard Scribe

Post by Emiliano »

Maybe having a RS181_REL26 version can fix this bug
I don't think the autor may do it after a long time :(