Guards & Skills

Modern Prince of Persia 1 and 2 level editors for Windows.
Shamrock
Efendi
Efendi

Guards & Skills

Post by Shamrock »

Hi,

I have been using RoomShaker for a couple of days... it's really a pleasure to think up different obstacles, traps and so on.
But there's a question. What do the skills for guardians mean? I could only find out that 7 is 'waiting guard' , but are there complete explanations for all skills?

Thank you. :)
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Guards & Skills

Post by mk1995 »

The skill levels aren't too distinct from each other for the most part.
Skill 1: Takes forever to strike, can't block a single attack
Skill 2: Slightly more aggressive, blocks the occasional attack, but can't block your parries
Skill 3: A bit better than Skill 2, occasionally blocks a parry
Skill 4: Noticeably better than Skill 3
Skill 5: Nothing noteworthy
Skill 6: Fat guard's skill level - a guard with this kind of skill makes for a fairly long parrying chain
Skill 7: Waits for you to get close enough to strike
Skill 8: Somewhere between Skill 5 and 6
Skill 9: Somewhere between Skill 8 and 6
Skill 10: Jaffar's skill level - similar to Skill 6, except a guard with this skill parries more attacks before admitting a hit

Note: When I'm talking about a "parry", I mean a block immediately followed by a strike.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Hope I won't piss off mk1995 (just joking ;)), but I made a document about the guard types.
The PDF version of that document is available here.
I don't know which types the skeleton and shadow are, but this overview should, once and for all, answer all questions related to guard skills.
(I've created a page about the document on popot.org, so visitors will be able to find the info.)
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

Norbert wrote:I don't know which types the skeleton and shadow are, [...]
This is not to be treated as a fact, but considering the general aggressiveness of the skeleton (or lack thereof), I'd say it has a skill level of either 2 or 3, likely 3. As for the shadow, I'm not sure, as I never really bothered fighting him to find out, given it's much easier to just do it the way you're meant to do it.
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
Shamrock
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Shamrock »

mk1995, Norbert, thanks for replies. :)

Norbert, I find your overwiev pretty helpful, well done! But I don't quite understand what is 'striking probability' - all of them will eventually strike, so is it the probability of their strike right after entering proper area (when they can reach)? And, besides, what is 'improper blocking'?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Shamrock wrote:But I don't quite understand what is 'striking probability' - all of them will eventually strike, [...]
In the document, the asterisk of Prob.* is referring to "* Probability out of 255.". So, for example, the weakest guard type has a striking probability of 75 out of 255. This means that every 'time frame', there is a chance of about 29.4% that the guard will attack the prince. The 'time frame' is a certain period of time. The DOS version of the game runs at 12 frames per second. Exactly how large the 'time frame' is, I don't know.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

mk1995 wrote:This is not to be treated as a fact, but considering the general aggressiveness of the skeleton (or lack thereof), I'd say it has a skill level of either 2 or 3, likely 3.
It looks like you're a good guard skill guesser: the guard type is 2, which has number 3 in RoomShaker. :)
(The disassembled source code in question can be found here.)
kj-5349
Sultan
Sultan

Post by kj-5349 »

mk1995 wrote:The skill levels aren't too distinct from each other for the most part.
Skill 2: Slightly more aggressive, blocks the occasional attack, but can't block your parries
Skill 6: Fat guard's skill level - a guard with this kind of skill makes for a fairly long parrying chain
Skill 10: Jaffar's skill level - similar to Skill 6, except a guard with this skill parries more attacks before admitting a hit

Note: When I'm talking about a "parry", I mean a block immediately followed by a strike.
Yeah, above may be an old post, but I would like to update on this. Below is a layman's/simplified description to Norbert's doc and lists down the skills according to Apoplexy and Roomshaker (using "Change Skill", not "Guard Here")

Type 0: Never blocks attacks, always walks into your striking range, but tends to attack a lot. Guys in Level 1
Type 1: A bit smarter than type 0. Blocks the occasional attack, but can't block your parries
Type 2: Doesn't block all attacks, and occasionally blocks a parry
Type 3: Higher calibre than types 1 & 2. Blocks attacks and parries more often. You find these guys in Level 4 and mainly the palace levels
Type 4: Almost like type 3 or better. Has an extra HP.
Type 5: Fat guard's skill type. Parries and retaliates/re-strikes. May have a parrying chain before only blocking and not re-striking.
Type 6: Seems like type 3, but attacks quicker if you moved to within his strike range.
Type 7: The "waiting" guard. Only attacks if you got within range and always block parries.
Type 8: The "passive" and simplest guard. Even easier than type 0 and does nothing. However, a lame coward :lol: , he will attack you if you sheath your sword.
Type 9: Jaffar's skill type. Re-strikes more than type 5, having a consistent parrying chain before admitting a hit.
Type A: The hardest ever guard and totally not in Roomshaker. Parries and re-strikes without stopping at all. Similar to SNES Jaffar and the only way of beating him is to block, delay slightly and then strike. A certain timing with the delay is needed and not sure of the technique's name.
Type B: A combination of types 5 and 6. Trickier than type 5 as he attacks quicker and doesn't re-strike as often as type 9.

However a bug that I recently only understood - the guard behaviours are different if you used the "Guard Here" dialog in RS.
Guard Here doesn't have the passive type 8 and hardcore type A guard.
Also for Guard Here only:
Skill 9 behaves exactly like apoplexy type 9.
Skill 10 behaves almost like apoplexy type B. Tends to attack once you come within range often and parries a lot like type 4.
Skill 7 is slightly different than apoplexy type 6 that attacks almost immediately when you step within his range.

Hope this is a decent enough guide for aspiring modders when they are adding guards :D
yourantumayel69
Calif
Calif

Post by yourantumayel69 »

mk1995 wrote: November 13th, 2012, 11:04 pm The skill levels aren't too distinct from each other for the most part.

I use original skills ;)
Pengkhotbah 3:1 (TB) Untuk segala sesuatu ada masanya, untuk apa pun di bawah langit ada waktunya.