Compiling in PR

About PR usage and development, and about the POP format.

Compiling in PR

Post by guest »

Hi, this is probably a basic, and maybe a little stupid question but I'm new to all this, so you'll have to bear with me. Using PR I've extracted the files from within vdungeon.dat and edited them, the problem is though, that when I recompile them, it always makes an 8kb .dat file which is useless in the game. Am I doing something wrong here? Thanks for any help :)

Post by Guest »

err sorry, maybe I was using an old version... now when I compile vdungeon it is named vdungeon.dat but is actually a directory full of stuff, how can I turn it back into a proper .dat file?
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

Interesting question, I'll add it into the FAQ.

First of all what version of PR are you using?
I'll assume you are using PR 0.9 (if not, try this verion)

Second: isn't it an 8-bytes-length file instead of 8bk?

Well, you have to make sure resources.xml is in the PR folder, then just extract the files, edit them (do not rename the files) and then compile it in the directory you extracted it. See the FAQ in sourceforge for syntax. You can use the -v (verbose) option to see what PR is doing and why did it fail.

Post by Guest »

I'm using PR 0.9 with resources.xml in the PR folder. Yep, my mistake, it is 8 bytes not 8 k-bytes, but that was a different problem.
What I am doing is this:

I've copied vdungeon.dat into the folder where I have PR (c:\windows\desktop\09\softdistro\)

To extract the dat file I use the syntax:
pr -xext vdungeon.dat - having already set up the "ext" dir beforehand. When the dat file is extracted into ext dir, it comes up as a folder called "unknown" inside this is another folder "vdungeon.dat" and inside this are all the image files.

Now, I try to recompile all the files with this syntax:
pr -cext ext\vdungeon.dat - this creates a folder called "vdungeon.dat" in the ext dir, inside this folder are two more folders "test 4" and "test 74" each containing a whole lot of (small) dat files.

As far as I can see I'm doing the proper syntaxes, but perhaps I'm overlooking something very simple here? Or doing it completely wrong, any help appreciated, hope that wasn't too convoluted and confusing :(

Post by Guest »

I also have the same problem ! During compiling, instead of file xxx.dat i have a directory xxx.dat ! I have used pr09
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

Let me see if it isn't a bug
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

It was a bug, XML distributes was wrong. I-ll distribute the correct xml in the second release of PR 0.9. Remember 0.x versions are still in development.
scape
Efendi
Efendi

Post by scape »

Ahh well, I copied the resources xml from PR 08 and it seems to be working, so now I can get to work finally =)
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

Give me a mail and I'll send you the last resources (that we will release in PR 0.9-R2)