PR 1.3.1 pre-release

About PR usage and development, and about the POP format.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: PR 1.3.1 pre-release

Post by David »

So what do you think, how should I post the fixed sdlgenaudiocvt.pl?
Only the new file, or a diff (and what type of diff?), or something else?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:[...], or a diff (and what type of diff?), or something else?
I would say the output of...

Code: Select all

diff -u old.pl new.pl
...because that "output is often used as input to the patch program."
Might help quick reviewing, plus it provides context if they're working on newer code bases.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Looks like your patch has been accepted. :)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Ah, yes, I got a mail from them about that.
Did you also get a mail? (Although it says "CC List: 0 users" -- Or are you checking the bugzilla regularly? :) )
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:[...] Or are you checking the bugzilla regularly? :) )
I did and had also contacted two 'SDL people' about it, one of whom mailed me back.
TheRessen
Efendi
Efendi

Post by TheRessen »

Hello guys,

This is my first post, but I have a thing to say, maybe.
Sorry if someting sound strange, my English is bad yet.

I made a test using PR 1.3 (along with PrinceSound) and this 1.3.1 pre-release trying to import custom sounds to DIGISND1.dat but without sucess (the WAV files are into the correct specifications). POP1 Shows that "insert disk 1" message, even with "correct" checksum and in rare cases, POP1 runs without any sound (pcspeaker option is off). So, I discovered a possible solution for the problem: in both PR versions, the .dat file was created without a byte into it.

Below, the original DAT:

And the DAT created by PR (The name is different to represent it better, when I did the test I put the correct name):

In this case, I've pasted the "missing byte from the orginal file to the generated by PR.

The game worked without that awful message. All sounds worked, except all the sounds present in DIGISND1.dat (!!!).

I did the test extracting the files from the original DIGISND1.dat, I've imported the same sounds that were extracted to the DAT, the same thing happens.

Well, here is my feedback.

I hope that PR can be fixed, this tool is really incredible and I wish I could work on my own custom project, the sound editing is a important part of it.

If you guys want to know what I'm talking about, see right now this little thing I made. In order to take it more serious, I can't maintain a male voice in the custom mod...

I wonder why no soul on this Earth thought about a thing like that (maybe someone should have thought, but I didn't found yet) ...

Greetings...
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

TheRessen wrote:I did the test extracting the files from the original DIGISND1.dat, I've imported the same sounds that were extracted to the DAT, the same thing happens.
So you exported the original sounds and imported them back, and this happened?

I tried that, but the new DIGISND1.DAT file is exactly the same as the original. Even if I delete the old one before importing.
That is, I could not reproduce your problem.
I used the 1.3.1 pre-release: viewtopic.php?p=13867#p13867

Or does this happen only with custom sounds?
TheRessen
Efendi
Efendi

Post by TheRessen »

Yes and but not only with sounds. I tried to import a image to KID.dat and the same error happened. And now I know why: I was using the wrong commands...

I wrote:

pr -i digisnd1.DAT@digisnd1\*.wav

instead of:

pr --resource=resources.xml --import=resources digisnd1.DAT

The importing process returned to me some error with 1.3 and Windows didn't "told" me why (forcing app close). The 1.31 pre-release "said" the files I'm trying to import having some error into them. So I did a re-conversion to WAV using SOX, tried to import again and it worked very well!

Now I figured out like it works.

Conclusion #1: PR 1.3.1 pre-release is correctly reading the WAVE headers and working very well importing and exporting files.
Conclusion #2: I was too dumb.

Forget about all that I wrote (except my project).
I'm sorry for that...

Thanks for the help...!
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

So thankfully it's solved!

I just tried your "wrong" command, and it does produce this error.
So PR has a bug, but only when doing a partial import.
Actually I never used that feature.

I'm curious what will the mod look like...
By the way, I found your dA page: http://theressen.deviantart.com/art/Lar ... -467593600
TheRessen
Efendi
Efendi

Post by TheRessen »

Yeah, that is my page...
Sounds are ok, so I'll start the sprite editing... I'm thinking about a mod with Miss Croft in a trip into the past, helping the Prince and looking for a artifact.
TheRessen
Efendi
Efendi

Post by TheRessen »

Hello, it's me again.

I found today another possible bug in PR while extracting the regular guard files (GUARD.dat, GUARD1.dat and GUARD2.dat).

1. GUARD.dat:

Images are extracted with messed colors. There is also a uselles res776.bin with only 7 byte.

2. GUARD1.dat and GUARD2.dat:

Both palletes (palette1.pal from GUARD1.dat and palette2.pal from GUARD2.dat ) come useless, because all those 16 colors are black (255, 255, 255). I don't remember if are more palletes for the guards in the game, but PR has returned only these two for me.

It happened in PR 1.3 and 1.3.1 pre-release.

Greetings.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Guard.dat:
colors: The problem is that guard palettes are stored separately, in prince.dat (look for the file "guard palettes.pal").
res776.bin: It's actually an empty image (1x1 pixel). PR exported it without conversion to BMP, because the resources.xml says so.
Guard1/2.dat:
Although the VGA palettes are all black, these files are needed by the game.
These files contain the CGA/EGA palettes for guards, and the number of images to load. (Look into the *.more files.) (guard1 for palace, guard2 for dungeon)
By the way, if you put a guard with color=0 into a level, they will use the colors from guard1/2.dat.
(I don't know if there is any level editor that can do that, but it can be done with hex-editing the level.)
However, if you already met a guard with a nonzero color, zero-colored guards will reuse his color.
TheRessen
Efendi
Efendi

Post by TheRessen »

Yeah, I saw that. Interesting. The guards have only one file for the color variations. It's very weird...
Very dumb from my part... I'll take a look into the game files to don't do stupid posts next time.
Very thanks for the help!
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

I found an incorrect name in resources.xml:

Code: Select all

<item value="10041" path="story5 Marry Jaffar, end level.mid"/>
"end level" is correct, but "story5 Marry Jaffar" is not: this music is not played in the intro.
Instead, it is played when the kid merges with the shadow.
(Search for play_sound(41); in the SDLPoP source.)

What probably confused me is that the ending of the "story4" music is similar to this one.
And/or that in PR 1.2 it was called "title princess waiting 2.mid".

And interestingly, I noticed this mistake when I was making a list of the sounds in the Sega Mega Drive sound test.