animation frame question

About PR usage and development, and about the POP format.
STE'86
Efendi
Efendi

animation frame question

Post by STE'86 »

can someone who knows the original DOS POP animation sequences well please tell me where in the "sword attack" sequence the below frame is used? (a pointer at a spritesheet or a vid would be fantastic)

i am in the final stages of converting the classic POP sprite frames to 8 bit c64/atari a800 resolutions and am currently trying to match sword angles to frames. there are several frames similar to this but i cannot seem to pin this one down. in the frame sequence spit out by the converters it is frame 17 of 18 in the files.

i hope someone can help. to help to prove this isnt time wasting this is the c64 pixel conversion of the standing jump frames.

cheers,

Steve

I moved the topic to the more proper forum for you. Next time you wanna move a topic of yours, please ask a mod to do it instead of crossposting. -mk1995
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: animation frame question

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

Cool! Well, I have a folder with all the KID.dat sprites (all the prince's frames) for the DOS version:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/31/1399140/kid.rar

I hope this is what you were looking for! :mrgreen:

Yeah, that sure looks like frame17, and I have eighteen in the sword attacking folder.
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
STE'86
Efendi
Efendi

Post by STE'86 »

sorry, i am not sure if i was clear or not.

i already have all the frames for the "kid". and yes there are 18 frames in the sword attack folder of which the one i am interested in is frame 17.

u see i have identified and placed all the sword attack frames except that one. what i need to know is where in the sword sequence this frame could/does occur.

it must be used somewhere but i cannot place exactly where in any frame sequence this one gets displayed.

i am trying to identify it so i can add the sword sprite to it at the correct angle.

Steve
Eagle-Head Priest 97
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Eagle-Head Priest 97 »

Oh sorry, I don't know how to do it then. All I can say is to try it until you can get it right.
Former Member of popuw.com/forum
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

STE'86 wrote:can someone who knows the original DOS POP animation sequences well please tell me where in the "sword attack" sequence the below frame is used? (a pointer at a spritesheet or a vid would be fantastic)

[...]

I'm pretty sure this is a frame of the Prince's fighting animation. Could be after blocking without parrying...

Wait, no! This is a frame of the Prince moving away from the guard. Yeah, that's it!
Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
STE'86
Efendi
Efendi

Post by STE'86 »

is there any chance anyone can cap a frame where he is doing this for me please?

i have tried capping various swordfight sequences from youtube and have not so far been able to conclusively match this frame with one from the retreat sequence. tho i do admit i may have just been very unlucky with this.

all i really need from it is where in the frame display sequence its used and the sword angle used in it.

Steve
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

I will see what I can do. Hang in there, I'll be back after a bit o' time with a picture, if I hadn't been beaten to it by then.

Edit: Weird... I looked at each of the frames the Prince has for swordfighting in-game, but none of them seemed to match the image you put up. Perhaps that frame isn't being used...?

Tell you what - I'll make a en-garde sprite sheet of the Prince (with sword) so you have both the necessary sprites and sword angles. All you need to do is wait...

Edit #2: Done. The sheet only contains the frames where the Prince does have a sword, except for the putting-away animation. Also, I didn't bother isolating Prince from background as you only needed to know where the angles were. If you need clean sprites, you can extract them with PR.

Just to make something clear: I will not reply to daft PMs like "Where can I find X?" or "Can you give me a link to Y?". Most of your questions are likely answerable if only you took your bloody time to look through these forums and use Google if all else fails. Sheesh...
STE'86
Efendi
Efendi

Post by STE'86 »

fantastic :D

u sir are a gentleman.

can i be cheeky and ask if u have the same sort of thing for an enemy sprite?

any one will do as they all seem to follow the same numbering sequence and frame layout. i can extrapolate the sword positions of them all from say a guard or the vizier or whatever u have or can get :)

again many thanks for your help so far.

then all some bugger has to do is figure out how to get about 90k of c64 sprite data into 64k with backgrounds and game engine :)

thanks

Steve
Tristan
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Tristan »

mk1995 wrote:I will see what I can do. Hang in there, I'll be back after a bit o' time with a picture, if I hadn't been beaten to it by then.

Edit: Weird... I looked at each of the frames the Prince has for swordfighting in-game, but none of them seemed to match the image you put up. Perhaps that frame isn't being used...?

Tell you what - I'll make a en-garde sprite sheet of the Prince (with sword) so you have both the necessary sprites and sword angles. All you need to do is wait...

Edit #2: Done. The sheet only contains the frames where the Prince does have a sword, except for the putting-away animation. Also, I didn't bother isolating Prince from background as you only needed to know where the angles were. If you need clean sprites, you can extract them with PR.

nummer 3 by draw + weapon stance look like on me avatar :)
mk1995
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by mk1995 »

So what? It's the same frame...
STE'86 wrote:can i be cheeky and ask if u have the same sort of thing for an enemy sprite?
Don't have it, but I could do one...
STE'86
Efendi
Efendi

Post by STE'86 »

if u can do one that would be fantastic. the sword stuff is the only bits i need to finish off in the sprites. then i can turn them over to public domain.

Steve
Rick
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Rick »

Actually, frames 13 and 17 are never used.

If you would like some proof of this, download the SNES prince sprites (either my version or Brain's) from this site and extract using PR. Look through the "sword attacking" folder and you'll see that those two frames are not modified from the original art. But if you play the game, you will never actually see those frames anywhere. They aren't used in-game.

EDIT: My SNES art can be found here, you'll need a version of PR to extract it.
STE'86
Efendi
Efendi

Post by STE'86 »

thanks for the help.

the conversion of the POP classic sprites to c64/atari 800 format is now complete and they have been uploaded to public domain.

cheers.

Steve