Guard/Level Palettes

About PR usage and development, and about the POP format.
Rick
Efendi
Efendi

Guard/Level Palettes

Post by Rick »

I have found the resources that control the palettes for the guards, and the "extended" palettes for the levels in versions 1.3 and 1.4. For whatever reason, they're in prince.dat as resources 10 and 20 respectively. However, they're raw data. The guard palettes are 16-color palettes at 3 bytes per color and the file is exactly the length of seven such palettes, so I'm pretty sure that it's just raw binary data. However, I don't know of any program that will edit that!

I could hex-edit it, or even go through the bother of writing an ugly, horrible MFC program myself, but since I see that Brain has already put the SNES guards in place and has used their palettes, I'd like to know what program he used rather than reinventing that particular wheel. Does anyone know?

EDIT: The reason I'm asking is that I'd like to get a few more SNES things in, such as the SNES vizier, politician (fat.dat), maybe the knight as an alternate for the regular guards or the politican, and I'd also like to get the SNES princess in, especially since the "hug" animation actually features the prince and it looks weird when the SNES guy turns into the PC guy at that moment.

EDIT: Oh my god the Jasc PAL file format is TEXT.
poirot
Developer
Developer

Re: Guard/Level Palettes

Post by poirot »

Yes, I decided to use JASC pal because it was in Text format, and defined on the web. Anyways, usong PSP you can generate common palettes to your graphics and import them back.
Rick
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Rick »

This is a little odd, but I notice that the skeleton's sword is always pure white. I'm using the sword from the SNES sprite pack, and the skeleton's is always white.

EDIT: Oh, even better. If you face away from the skeleton, his sword is colored properly. This is probably an actual bug that never got caught because the original sword was all-white anyway. Weird that it doesn't happen with guards, though.

EDIT 2: And to be clear, it has nothing to do with the skeleton's palette, as setting the whole thing to red (or whatever) has no effect on the problem.
poirot
Developer
Developer

Post by poirot »

it's not a bug, they did it that way to save colour space in the palette. The problem becomes visible when editing the game :(
Rick
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Rick »

Still can't figure out how to change the extended guard and dungeon/palace palettes. Does anyone know? Someone must, because the SNES guards have palette information.

Anyway, I have a bunch of assets from the SNES game ready to go in. I have the Vizier in armor for combat and in his regular clothes for cutscenes. I have the politician and the skeleton, too. I also fixed up a few misalignments with the SNES prince and his sword. I recolored the princess so that she could fit in 16 colors and have the prince look decent in the endgame cutscene. I also touched up the red dungeon tileset to be blue and to look right with the alternate dungeon palettes, and adjusted Brain's palace set with a few minor tweaks like turning the wall tiles upside-down and narrowing the gate so that the SNES prince doesn't clip behind an invisible wall (the SNES stairways are narrower than the PC ones). I even drew the combat frames for the shadow so that the shadow no longer looks like the PC prince. I should be uploading these soon, just as soon as I get access. And I made a full level replacement set with a custom exe.

I would really appreciate it, though, if someone could help me to figure out how to alter the extended guard and dungeon/palace palettes.
Rick
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Rick »

Update: I have uploaded the new SNES stuff and sent Poirot a copy. I'd still like to know about that extended palette stuff, though, so that I can make further contributions.
Rick
Efendi
Efendi

Post by Rick »

http://www.princed.org/download/45/

OK seriously, the expanded SNES art is now actually in place at the url above. If anyone knows how those extended guard and level palettes work, please tell me. I'd like to contribute more, but this information is missing. Thanks!