Fluffy's Prince of Persia

Threads about other remakes and ports.
Alberto
Beylerbey
Beylerbey

Re: Fluffy's Prince of Persia

Post by Alberto »

FluffyQuack wrote: December 31st, 2023, 7:23 pm So I'm 99% sure that gate bug you linked won't happen in my code.
That's alright, I'm all for improvements even if that means fixing fun/quirky bugs. When I first played PoP for SNES I was disappointed because it was so different, but now it is one of my favorites because it improved the performance, adds lots of new levels and has great visuals. I also played @Shauing 's 30th Anniversary port and I think it is impossible (don't quote me on that) to do integer overflow tricks.
FluffyQuack wrote: December 31st, 2023, 7:23 pm ...but it could be a fun competitive mode maybe to have one player control the prince and another player control a guard).
Co-op but inverted, sounds fun.

Overall, I'm pretty excited for your project, even if it were to advance at a snail's pace I'll wait for it patiently. :D
FluffyQuack
Vizier
Vizier

Re: Fluffy's Prince of Persia

Post by FluffyQuack »

Alberto wrote: January 1st, 2024, 6:54 am That's alright, I'm all for improvements even if that means fixing fun/quirky bugs. When I first played PoP for SNES I was disappointed because it was so different, but now it is one of my favorites because it improved the performance, adds lots of new levels and has great visuals. I also played @Shauing 's 30th Anniversary port and I think it is impossible (don't quote me on that) to do integer overflow tricks.
Projects like that are neat. One thing I want to do with my project is make certain modifications easier to do and allow for more freedom. For instance, one reason why I'll be slow to implement "scripted events" (ie, every "shadow" interaction in POP1 or tiles automatically falling during last level) is that I want to add a simple scripting language so those scenes are driven by externalized scripts that are easy to modify. I'll probably end up implementing cutscenes the same way.

Other things I'm planning:
  • In-built level editor.
  • Support for campaigns that are longer than 14 levels (already done as my code has no limitation when it comes to level count).
  • Support for larger levels (already done, though my limit is currently hardcoded to 356x104 tiles per level. I'll probably make this dynamic in the long run).
  • Multiple tilesets within a level (this is already supported as my code defines tileset on a per-tile basis).
  • Better support for unique "skins" for characters. When replacing the graphics for the prince/guards in original POP you need to make sure the frame image sizes are the same, otherwise it'll affect gameplay (since image sizes affect the collision box), but I'll make the collision sizes pre-defined for each frame so you can replace the sprites with new sprites of any size without affecting gameplay (I'll also make it possible to change the render offset for each sprite frame).
Alberto wrote: January 1st, 2024, 6:54 amOverall, I'm pretty excited for your project, even if it were to advance at a snail's pace I'll wait for it patiently. :D
That's good to hear! I'm personally especially excited to work on support for POP2. We already have SDL-POP and MININIM as different modernized ways to play POP1 with new features and better modding support, but we've got nothing of the sort for POP2. It will probably be a huge challenge to implement POP2 support in a way that's very faithful, but I hope it's something I can accomplish.