Web-based PoP1 Port

Threads about other remakes and ports.
R3
Vizier
Vizier

Web-based PoP1 Port

Post by R3 »

anybody interested in creating something like this?
Norbert once showed a link where we can play the original PoP1 via browser only.

would be nice if POPOT had something like this so we can try the mods without downloading anymore.

just sharing thoughts... :roll:
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Web-based PoP1 Port

Post by David »

Do you mean running PoP in an emulator, like this? https://archive.org/details/msdos_Prince_of_Persia_1990
Or, do you mean a remake, like this? viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3488
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

R3 wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 3:37 amwould be nice if POPOT had something like this so we can try the mods without downloading anymore.
On my (PoP) TODO list, that's #2 (related post here).
First I'm going to finish by upcoming mod Ghost of Persia.
R3
Vizier
Vizier

Post by R3 »

Hi David, can't validate ULTRABOLIDO, seems to be a dead site already.
Yes, something like what ARCHIVE.ORG has is what I had in mind.

Hi Norbert, I guess you can appreciate my request, being the administrator of POPOT.
A web-based DOSBox would be great, preferably by YHKwong because of the nice renders when played full-screen.
The challenge that comes to my mind is, how do you access all those mods from your archive?

Looking forward to your upcoming mod.
Hope it's not as hard as SuavePrince's.

Thanks all. :D
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

R3 wrote: October 25th, 2017, 2:07 amA web-based DOSBox would be great, [...]
DOSBox might be too old-fashioned.
(What follows is technical, sorry.)
I was originally thinking about using Emscripten (Emscripten and SDL 2 Tutorial) with SDLPoP, but for highscores I don't want the game to run (just) client-side, so SDL2_net would need to sync clients with server game sessions.
This all seems too complicated anyway.
I'm instead wondering if maybe web-based remote desktop could be used to allow users to launch and connect to jailed (contained) remote desktop sessions with limited permissions. Maybe with Apache Guacamole or something, I haven't really looked into it yet. Then use that with a modified SDLPoP executable that auto-saves replays, starting in the user-specified level of the user-specified mod.
Then again, even that sounds unnecessary. Two programs already simplify launching mods (Total Pack, poplaun).
Plus, all that work for dozens of people...
Hm, maybe just wait and see if other people will take the game in interesting directions.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Norbert wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 7:03 pm
R3 wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 3:37 amwould be nice if POPOT had something like this so we can try the mods without downloading anymore.
On my (PoP) TODO list, that's #2 (related post here).
First I'm going to finish by upcoming mod Ghost of Persia.
In addition to all the stuff mentioned in the post above (not the quote above, but the post above this one), maybe Docker could be useful.
The video linked here reminded me that all this is now #1 on my (PoP) TODO list.
I'll start looking into it next weekend.