Apple II port to BBC Master computer

Threads about other remakes and ports.
kieranhj
Sheikh
Sheikh

Apple II port to BBC Master computer

Post by kieranhj »

Hey folks,

I thought I would join your lovely forum and introduce myself. For the last six months or so I have been porting the original Apple II 6502 source & sprites to the BBC Master computer. For those of you outside of the UK, the BBC Micro computer series was created by Acorn in the early 1980's and was a familiar sight in all British schools of the era. Many coders taught themselves to program on this machine and have gone on to have careers in software development (including myself!)

I've always loved Prince of Persia, having played the original PC version back in the day as a teenager. After discovering the Apple II source had been released on GitHub, I decided to take a look. As the BBC Micro uses the same 6502 CPU as the Apple II, the code was very familiar even if the hardware internals and memory mapping of the Apple II were not. Thankfully Jordan Mechner was a surprisingly forward-thinking & careful programmer back in the late 80's and, whilst there was a lot of code, it was well structured with jump table interfaces for every module and a clean separation between gameplay logic and rendering.

Given the RAM requirements, I decided to limit my port to the BBC Master model which comes with 128K RAM as standard. Unfortunately this RAM is not in two simple 64K memory banks but distributed across the memory map in a somewhat inconvenient manner. This was the first of many challenges but I have made considerable progress so far. The game is certainly not complete yet but I have got far enough to share with the folks in the Acorn / BBC Micro enthusiasts scene. For similar reasons, I thought there might be people interested in this project here.

I've been keeping a development blog, of sorts, on the Acorn / BBC Micro enthusiasts forum Stardot, which you can read here: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 53&t=13079

You can try out the latest playable build using the online BBC Micro emulator (known as jsbeeb) here: https://bitshifters.github.io/jsbeeb/?d ... del=Master

(The keys are: z left x right ' up / down ; up-left # up-right Enter action. Your keyboard mapping may vary!)

As I said, there is still plenty of work still to do including porting the rest of the gameplay functions (it will crash if you trigger an unimplemented gameplay feature), the cutscenes & attract mode, music & sound effects, updated graphics designed for the BBC Micro screen resolution & colours and likely a whole load more optimisation to remove the flicker & graphical glitches. But it is certainly playable!

All code is posted on my GitHub repo here: https://github.com/kieranhj/pop-beeb and should be easily built by anyone else using the BeebAsm assembler. If anyone here is deeply familiar with the Apple II 6502 source, as I am becoming, I will no doubt be interested to ask you some questions when it comes to some of the gnarlier corners of the code. :)

Let me know what you think!
-kieranhj
Attachments
Prince of Persia for the BBC Master
Prince of Persia for the BBC Master
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Apple II port to BBC Master computer

Post by Norbert »

Hey kieranhj. BBC Master, so obscure. :)
Good luck completing the game. Quite a project.

It's too bad that that emulator stops when switching away from its tab.
Because it means players are forced to wait for all the disk drive 'nonsense'.

Hm, "]" seems to be up-right for me.
It would be nice if playing was possible with arrow keys, combined with Shift (as DOS) or/and "x" (as SNES).
Or, if the BBC Master can't deal with 2 keys pressed down at the same time (e.g. left+up arrows), the numeric keypad.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Ah, another new PoP port for old hardware! (after the Commodore 64 version)

I tried this. It plays like the original except for the flickers.

I guess you already know, but the hit points are missing from the screen.
kieranhj wrote: October 13th, 2017, 6:08 pm (it will crash if you trigger an unimplemented gameplay feature)
I found a crash on level 2:
crash.png
It crashed because of the blue potion, didn't it?

Now that I zoomed in to the checkerboard patterns of the floor, I noticed that the pattern breaks at every 8th pixel (or 7th, depending on how you count it).
I guess that's because of the odd format of the Apple II graphics?
Norbert wrote: October 14th, 2017, 7:29 pm It's too bad that that emulator stops when switching away from its tab.
You could move its tab into a separate window. That way the tab is still active within the window, even if the window is not active. (Tested on Firefox.)

Or you could use an offline emulator instead: https://www.zophar.net/bbcmicro.html
I did that too, because the JavaScript emulator is somewhat slow.
Then you need the disc image, you can find its URL within the URL of the JavaScript emulator.
kieranhj wrote: October 13th, 2017, 6:08 pm (The keys are: z left x right ' up / down ; up-left # up-right Enter action. Your keyboard mapping may vary!)
I guess your key labels are for the PC UK keyboard, as opposed to the BBC Master keyboard. (The latter has "#" on Shift+3.)

Also, it seems some moves are assigned to another key as well.
For example: A=left, E=right, P=up-left, ]=up-right.
Why is that?
Norbert wrote: October 14th, 2017, 7:29 pm It would be nice if playing was possible with arrow keys, combined with Shift (as DOS) or/and "x" (as SNES).
Or, if the BBC Master can't deal with 2 keys down at the same time (e.g. left+up arrows), the numeric keypad.
Or maybe use the Apple II keys? (UIO,JKL)

I think it can handle two keys at once: for example Enter+Z/X does a safe step.
kieranhj
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by kieranhj »

Norbert wrote: October 14th, 2017, 7:29 pm Hey kieranhj. BBC Master, so obscure. :)
Good luck completing the game. Quite a project.

It's too bad that that emulator stops when switching away from its tab.

Hm, "]" seems to be up-right for me.
It would be nice if playing was possible with arrow keys, combined with Shift (as DOS) or/and "x" (as SNES).
Or, if the BBC Master can't deal with 2 keys pressed down at the same time (e.g. left+up arrows), the numeric keypad.
Hiya. Thanks for trying it out! You can use a PC/Mac/Linux emulator like BeebEm or b-em and download the disk image (.ssd) for it instead.

The keys are actually BBC keyboard "standard" game mapping: Z X : / Return with ; ] added for up left/right. The BBC can cope with multiple keys pressed down simultaneously but I need to recode the PoP keyboard input to enable this. I will look at perhaps doing several different keyboard mappings if there are some established configurations on other platforms.
kieranhj
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by kieranhj »

David wrote: October 14th, 2017, 8:14 pm Ah, another new PoP port for old hardware! (after the Commodore 64 version)

I tried this. It plays like the original except for the flickers.

I guess you already know, but the hit points are missing from the screen.
Hi David, thanks for trying it out and taking time to post. I am currently working on the flickers. Unfortunately I cannot (currently) afford to double-buffer the screen as I'm using a 15K 4bpp buffer whilst the original Apple II used 2x 8K buffers. I could drop down to 2x 2bpp buffers but it would be nice to have a more colourful screen in lieu of the resolution drop.

There are a number of graphics features left to implement from the original, including the energy bars, hit fx and screen flash.
David wrote: I found a crash on level 2:
It crashed because of the blue potion, didn't it?
Yes, the potion sprite is made blue by shifting one pixel to the right on Apple II hires screen. For speed reasons my sprite plotter assumes (asserts) a 0 offset in this instance. An easy fix but annoying if you can't get past the screen, sorry!
David wrote: Now that I zoomed in to the checkerboard patterns of the floor, I noticed that the pattern breaks at every 8th pixel (or 7th, depending on how you count it).
I guess that's because of the odd format of the Apple II graphics?
Good spot! Yes, the original Apple II hires has 7 pixels per byte for a total of 280 pixels across the screen with artefact colour. It's impossible to render the sprites at the required speed without being byte aligned on the target machine. The simplest and most consistent way to achieve this has been to "widen" the graphics to multiples of 8 pixels for a total of 320 pixels across. At the moment I'm just doing a simple offline conversion that is rounding up one pixel in every 7. I have an artist lined up to redo the sprites for me at native resolution. I might look to using the CGA/VGA sprites as a starting point instead of the Apple II graphics.
David wrote: Or you could use an offline emulator instead: https://www.zophar.net/bbcmicro.html
I did that too, because the JavaScript emulator is somewhat slow.
Then you need the disc image, you can find its URL within the URL of the JavaScript emulator.
b-em is my emulator of choice for development. You can download the .ssd disc image from GitHub or using the link, as you say.
David wrote: I guess your key labels are for the PC UK keyboard, as opposed to the BBC Master keyboard. (The latter has "#" on Shift+3.)

Also, it seems some moves are assigned to another key as well.
For example: A=left, E=right, P=up-left, ]=up-right.
Why is that?
Yes, I am in the UK so will be using a UK keyboard. As I mentioned above, the keys are actually BBC "standard" game configuration: Z X : / Return with ; ] added for up left/right. I've no idea where these would end up on a US keyboard I'm afraid! The offline emulators allow you to check & reconfigure your keyboard mapping more easily.
David wrote: Or maybe use the Apple II keys? (UIO,JKL)

I think it can handle two keys at once: for example Enter+Z/X does a safe step.
I will look at supporting the original Apple II keys alongside other options. The BBC can detect multiple key presses at once but I need to recode the input routine. Interestingly it appears as though the Apple II cannot, other than detecting the Apple key as a special case, which is why it is the "action" button!

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll keep you posted with the progress!
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

kieranhj wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:03 pm I am currently working on the flickers. Unfortunately I cannot (currently) afford to double-buffer the screen as I'm using a 15K 4bpp buffer whilst the original Apple II used 2x 8K buffers. I could drop down to 2x 2bpp buffers but it would be nice to have a more colourful screen in lieu of the resolution drop.

There are a number of graphics features left to implement from the original, including the energy bars, hit fx and screen flash.
Okay, no need to hurry. :)
kieranhj wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:03 pm Yes, the potion sprite is made blue by shifting one pixel to the right on Apple II hires screen.
It's here: https://github.com/kieranhj/pop-beeb/bl ... g.asm#L692
kieranhj wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:03 pm For speed reasons my sprite plotter assumes (asserts) a 0 offset in this instance. An easy fix but annoying if you can't get past the screen, sorry!
So is the crash an assertion failure?
kieranhj wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:03 pm b-em is my emulator of choice for development.
I also used B-em to play the game, as you can see on my screenshot.
kieranhj wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:03 pm You can download the .ssd disc image from GitHub or using the link, as you say.
How do I access the latest disc image from the GitHub project page?
The pop-beeb.ssd in the repo is a very old version that only draws rooms in black and white.
kieranhj wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:03 pm The BBC can detect multiple key presses at once but I need to recode the input routine. Interestingly it appears as though the Apple II cannot, other than detecting the Apple key as a special case, which is why it is the "action" button!
From what I know, on the Apple II, the keypresses are converted to ASCII codes in hardware, and the result can be read at $C000.
There is no way to see exactly which keys are pressed, or to redefine which keys generate which characters (the assigments are stored in a ROM).
Also, the Apple keys (two of them) share ports with the joystick buttons, and can be read at $C061 and $C062.

Source: http://www.1000bit.it/support/manuali/a ... iieref.pdf (28 MB)
kieranhj wrote: October 17th, 2017, 10:03 pm Thanks again for the feedback. I'll keep you posted with the progress!
You're welcome!
kieranhj
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by kieranhj »

David wrote: October 21st, 2017, 11:10 am Okay, no need to hurry. :)
Hiya David. Thanks for all the feedback. I was on vacation for a couple of weeks so only just got back to looking at PoP.
David wrote: October 21st, 2017, 11:10 am So is the crash an assertion failure?
Yes, the nice thing about the way the original Apple II code is structured is the jump table interface between all the code modules. This allows me to easily stub out functions and trap when unimplemented functions are called during gameplay. I have also added various runtime assertion failures (or a simple equivalent of at least) under a _DEBUG compilation flag, particularly to do bounds checking.
David wrote: October 21st, 2017, 11:10 am How do I access the latest disc image from the GitHub project page?
The pop-beeb.ssd in the repo is a very old version that only draws rooms in black and white.
I have various branches on the go in the repo - mostly just cascading checkpoints as I embark on a new feature or sticky piece of refactoring. Best to look for the most recent checkins. I just implemented double-buffering the screen, which makes a massive difference: https://github.com/kieranhj/pop-beeb/tr ... ble-buffer.

Online emulated version here: https://bitshifters.github.io/jsbeeb/?d ... del=Master

There are a couple of bugs still particularly when switching screens but looks very solid, though I say so myself. The colour scheme is all over the place but the sprite routines support 3 colours per sprite chosen from a palette of 16 which should look nice when finished.
David wrote: October 21st, 2017, 11:10 am From what I know, on the Apple II, the keypresses are converted to ASCII codes in hardware, and the result can be read at $C000.
There is no way to see exactly which keys are pressed, or to redefine which keys generate which characters (the assigments are stored in a ROM).
Also, the Apple keys (two of them) share ports with the joystick buttons, and can be read at $C061 and $C062.

Source: http://www.1000bit.it/support/manuali/a ... iieref.pdf (28 MB)
Thanks for the link. I had just about figured out this was the case. Fortunately the BBC Micro can scan the keyboard for individual presses, so I can handle a PC style keyboard control with left/right & jump keys simultaneously. Well in theory at least - I'm so tight on RAM after clearing up space for the screen double buffering I'm not currently sure how I'm going to finish the port. :( I guess necessity is the mother of invention! :D
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

kieranhj wrote: November 13th, 2017, 12:15 pm I have various branches on the go in the repo - mostly just cascading checkpoints as I embark on a new feature or sticky piece of refactoring.
Best to look for the most recent checkins.
Ah, the branches.
I use them differently: I eventually merge every branch into master.
kieranhj wrote: November 13th, 2017, 12:15 pm I just implemented double-buffering the screen, which makes a massive difference:
Indeed: The flickering is gone.
kieranhj wrote: November 13th, 2017, 12:15 pm There are a couple of bugs still particularly when switching screens but looks very solid, though I say so myself.
What I can see is the game switches back to the second-to-last picture when I leave the current screen.
kieranhj wrote: November 13th, 2017, 12:15 pm The colour scheme is all over the place
I see you changed the guards' colors. For example, the first guard on level 1 has blue face.
Why? This looks a bit odd...

I think I found a new bug. (in pop-beeb-mode2-double-buffer.ssd)
The game crashes here:
crash_2.png
This bug wasn't in the previous version that I tried. (pop-beeb-faster-mode2.ssd)
The debugger in B-em says that execution stops on a BRK at 38CE.

The bug is probably related to two loose floors falling at the same time.
However, it does not happen on level 1. Maybe the guard is also important?

If I don't trigger this bug, then I can complete level 2.

Notes about further levels:

Level 3: Chompers don't move and the skeleton won't wake up.

Level 4: Floors are black. This also means that I can't see spikes' holes.
The mirror appears and I can jump through it. Only the mirror image and the shadow are missing.

Level 5: The game crashes when the shadow would appear. (BRK at A4EA)
The game also crashes when I would drop down to the top of the starting room. (BRK at 203F)
It does not matter which side do I drop or fall down.
crash_level_5_drop_left.png
crash_level_5_drop_left.png (10.93 KiB) Viewed 8009 times
I see your port also contains this bug from the Apple II version: viewtopic.php?p=12150#p12150
kieranhj
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by kieranhj »

David wrote: November 19th, 2017, 1:07 pm Ah, the branches.
I use them differently: I eventually merge every branch into master.
Yes, that's what you're supposed to do really but each of my explorations started out tentative before becoming a bit more permanent. I'm using them as labels which is basically all they are in Git anyway. I will fold everything back into master at somepoint.
David wrote: November 19th, 2017, 1:07 pm I see you changed the guards' colors. For example, the first guard on level 1 has blue face.
Why? This looks a bit odd...
Again, not intentional - it's selecting a colour palette based on RAM bank rather than sprite bank (which is what it should do.) I moved some of the sprite banks around to make room for the second screen buffer and didn't sort out the palette selection yet (it's using a background colour palette.)
David wrote: November 19th, 2017, 1:07 pm I think I found a new bug. (in pop-beeb-mode2-double-buffer.ssd)
The game crashes here:
This bug wasn't in the previous version that I tried. (pop-beeb-faster-mode2.ssd)
The debugger in B-em says that execution stops on a BRK at 38CE.

The bug is probably related to two loose floors falling at the same time.
However, it does not happen on level 1. Maybe the guard is also important?

If I don't trigger this bug, then I can complete level 2.
Yes, this is out of RAM for the peel buffers. Because the BBC Micro is using a much larger screen buffer than the Apple II (~15K vs 8K) I need to increase the size of the peel buffers accordingly. Unfortunately I'm out of memory for the time being so it is quite easy to trigger this (as you've seen - 1x player + 1x guard + 2x loose floors is too much...)
David wrote: November 19th, 2017, 1:07 pm Notes about further levels:

Level 3: Chompers don't move and the skeleton won't wake up.
Yes, the chompers were stubbed out but I have implemented them now and seem to work correctly. I haven't got to the skeleton yet.
David wrote: November 19th, 2017, 1:07 pm Level 4: Floors are black. This also means that I can't see spikes' holes.
The mirror appears and I can jump through it. Only the mirror image and the shadow are missing.
Doh. I imagine the black floors are due to the downsampling approach used when autoconverting the sprites to BBC screen format. Eventually I have an artist lined up to redraw all the sprites for the BBC resolution & palette but until then I will tweak the conversion process to bring the floor back. I am pretty sure all of the shadow man code is stubbed out which is why the shadow won't appear.
David wrote: November 19th, 2017, 1:07 pm Level 5: The game crashes when the shadow would appear. (BRK at A4EA)
Ahh, this is the auto playback of prerecorded movement sequences, that makes sense. It hadn't been implemented in that build, I have ported some more of the code now but not tested it yet.
David wrote: November 19th, 2017, 1:07 pm The game also crashes when I would drop down to the top of the starting room. (BRK at 203F)
It does not matter which side do I drop or fall down.
Ahh, thank you this is very helpful. I reduced the size of the image lists used by the game to build the screens as some of them seemed overly large (and took up a lot of memory.) I am tracking the use of these lists and asserting if one of them overflows - eventually I hope to tune them down to their safest optimal values. This means that the background list has bust its limit so I need to increase this value.
David wrote: November 19th, 2017, 1:07 pm I see your port also contains this bug from the Apple II version: viewtopic.php?p=12150#p12150
No doubt, as I've tried to leave the Apple II code untouched as much as possible (just moving the memory around and writing custom BBC screen handling routines.) I will read the thread and implement the proposed fix.

I want to say thank you again for your help playtesting the game. As you can probably tell, as much as I enjoyed PoP as a kid (on PC), I am not an expert so a lot of the little details would be easy for me to miss. (I know at this point some of the bugs / missing features are not "little". :) )

Would you be willing to keep testing future builds for me please? If so, I will be more structured in my approach rather than just sling a random update onto the forum. I will provide you with a list of newly implemented features, bug fixes and known issues so you have a better idea of what to expect.

I am currently refactoring the memory usage (again) to enable the gameplay code + data to reside in two separate RAM banks, this is necessary because of the size and way that the screen buffers are hanlded on the BBC machine. I am hoping I can intercept the jump tables and use this as a pseudo-DLL system. Once this is out of the way I will get to porting the outstanding gameplay functions and move onto the missing cutscenes etc. I also have some music close to being ready to integrate at some point, which will be nice...
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Thanks for the answers!
kieranhj wrote: November 28th, 2017, 3:23 pm This means that the background list has bust its limit so I need to increase this value.
But the game doesn't crash when I enter the starting room from left or right.
Why is it different when entering from the top?
kieranhj wrote: November 28th, 2017, 3:23 pm I want to say thank you again for your help playtesting the game.
You're welcome! :)
kieranhj wrote: November 28th, 2017, 3:23 pm Would you be willing to keep testing future builds for me please?
Yes, as time allows me.

Btw, I see you already added hitpoint display in the Git repo.
kieranhj
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by kieranhj »

David wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 10:26 pm
kieranhj wrote: November 28th, 2017, 3:23 pm Would you be willing to keep testing future builds for me please?
Yes, as time allows me.

Btw, I see you already added hitpoint display in the Git repo.
Hi David; all,

It's been a while since I provided an update on this project - it has been moving along steadily over the last few months and is now accelerating towards what I hope will be an Easter release!

For those who have time, I would really appreciate it if you could play-test the latest build. After all, the folks on this forum know the game inside & out, much better than I! You can play it in the online BBC Master emulator here: https://bitshifters.github.io/jsbeeb/?d ... del=Master or download the disc image to use on a native emulator from here: https://bitshifters.github.io/content/w ... aytest.dsd.

I'm pretty sure that all of the issues you listed above have now been rectified. More excitingly, I've enlisted some help with the artwork and audio, so the game is looking and sounding pretty great compared to last year. Our goal is to make the most definitive 8-bit version of the game, original Apple II notwithstanding.

Here are some screenshots to show how far this has come:
New BBC Master title screen
New BBC Master title screen
New BBC Master Dungeon sprites
New BBC Master Dungeon sprites
New BBC Master Palace sprites
New BBC Master Palace sprites

Please feel free to post any thoughts & feedback here on the forum and bugs over on my GitHub repo if you can: https://github.com/kieranhj/pop-beeb/issues. I really appreciate your encouragement so far.

Thanks,
Kieran

PS. Is there a known fix to the Integer overflow bug? I could only find fixes for other bugs on the thread: viewtopic.php?p=12150#p12150.
kieranhj
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by kieranhj »

PPS. You can now use the Apple II keys - UIOJKL - although Enter/Return is still action, I haven't mapped a left-hand key for this.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

kieranhj wrote: February 12th, 2018, 12:15 amit has been moving along steadily
That's good to read.
I've forwarded your call for playtesters here and here.
The graphics look polished, I like it.

The on-line emulator is unusable for me...
Norbert wrote: October 14th, 2017, 7:29 pmIt's too bad that that emulator stops when switching away from its tab.
...because the BBC Master noise (static and disk loading/ticking) and loading times that it emulates do not have nostalgic charm for me; it just pisses me off, especially that I can't go to another browser tab to wait it all out.

I tried BeebEm(*), but even if I load the DSD disk via Shift+F12, it just gives me a > prompt after the *RUN Core.
Does this mean the BeebEm emulator can't handle your DSD file, or should I, for instance, start it differently?

(*) On lines 1631 and 1653 of src/beebem_pages.cpp change "(int)" to "(intptr_t)".
kieranhj
Sheikh
Sheikh

Post by kieranhj »

Norbert wrote: February 12th, 2018, 1:08 am I've forwarded your call for playtesters here and here.
The graphics look polished, I like it.
Thank you! That is much appreciated.
Norbert wrote: February 12th, 2018, 1:08 am The emulator is unusable for me...
Norbert wrote: October 14th, 2017, 7:29 pmIt's too bad that that emulator stops when switching away from its tab.
...because the BBC Master noise (static and disk loading/ticking) and loading times that it emulates do not have nostalgic charm for me; it just pisses me off, especially that I can't go to another browser tab to wait it all out.
Yes, it can get a bit grating. We have yet to optimise the loading times, although there is a lot to get off the disc. The content is split across both sides of a 400KB 80 track standard Acorn DFS double-sided disc.
Norbert wrote: February 12th, 2018, 1:08 am I tried BeebEm(*), but even if I load the DSD disk via Shift+F12, it just gives me a > prompt after the *RUN Core.
Does this mean the BeebEm emulator can't handle your DSD file, or should I, for instance, start it differently?

(*) On lines 1631 and 1653 of src/beebem_pages.cpp change "(int)" to "(intptr_t)".
I just tested and it does work in BeebEm - you'll need to make sure you select 'BBC Master 128' from the Hardware > BBC Model menu. There is also an option to turn the disc drive sound effects off. ;)

Another emulator to try is b-em which is regarded as more accurate, again make sure you have the Model set to BBC Master 128. This also allows you to turn off the disc drive sound effects and you can run the emulator unlimited by holding PAGE UP which will speed up loading.

The game runs on real Master hardware including from modern MMC / Compact Flash solutions so that should help somewhat.

Let me know how you get on - would love to hear your feedback.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

You're right, picking the BBC Master 128 makes the off-line BeebEm work, thanks.
Fun sword pickup (/guard kill/exit door open) sound effect.
It plays smoothly (minor screen loading, not an issue) and, so far, also seems accurate.

In fighting stance, the sword in waiting (horizontal) position seems invisible (black?).
The potion bubbles need minor changes, for instance the left potion here has blue bubbles, and the bubbles of (big) life potions should be more to the right - more centered above the bottle.

I'd playtest more, but would need:
- an action key on the left side of the keyboard,
- to be able to use cursor keys (either on the numpad or the arrow pad).
That's just for me though; other players may not mind - or even enjoy - the current setup.
I don't like to cross my arms/hands and don't like the angle/slant of the alphanumeric keys.
The latter isn't a problem for the first few levels, but there's no way I'll attempt, for example, level 8 like this. ;)