PoP Unity - A remake in the Unity Engine

Threads about other remakes and ports.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: PoP Unity - A remake in the Unity Engine

Post by Norbert »

ikazrima wrote:(weird that I didn't get any emails on new replies)
That appears to be broken, maybe something changed on the server.

By the way, this thread should probably be moved to another forum board.
The Prince of Persia 1 - Remakes board.
I'll move it in a week or so, then you have time to see my reply and don't think the thread has suddenly disappeared. :)
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

And I don't get e-mails from private messages.
ikazrima wrote: I'm considering switching to JSON since I've found a plugin for it. Problem is if I use said plugin, then I might not be able to make the game source public since it is a commercial plugin.
I found something that uses the MIT license: http://json.codeplex.com/
ikazrima
Efendi
Efendi

Post by ikazrima »

Thanks david for the link :)

Annnnnd here's a first public build for windows for anyone to play with. ;)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ae3W ... sp=sharing

It only took almost two years :oops:

I'll update the first post with instructions.

[edit]

I can't edit the first post. Oh well, I'll post it here.
Spoiler: show
Instruction :

1) In Pop Unity_DATA/DAT/ folder, put in your levels .dat files
2) Open PoP Unity.exe.
3) In settings, check "windowed mode". This is required for now.

4) Type in your level file name (without .DAT), example "levels".
If you click load without typing first, it will not load.
If you see an error pops out, it either means your file name is
incorrect or it is an invalid level file.

5) Press "load levels .dat file"
6) Select level number, goes from 0-12
7) Press "load level". You should now see your selected level.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Controls :
Num8 - move camera up
Num2 - move camera down
Num4 - move camera left
Num6 - move camera right
Num0 - centers camera to origin (0,0)
Num- - zoom out
Num+ - zoom in
I didn't include any LEVELS file, so just grab them from somewhere and paste it in the appropriate folder.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

So, since nobody responded to your recent release yet, let me give you some feedback.

I think I can roughly approach this in two ways: 1. look at PoP Unity as a potential level viewer, and 2. look at PoP Unity as a potential full-fledged remake. When I look at PoP Unity as a possible remake, especially when I'm taking into account your plans to include XML support, an in-game level editor and whatnot, you have a tremendous - incalculable, really; fighting with guards, for example, will be a pain to implement properly - amount of work still ahead of you. So much work that it wouldn't surprise me if just thinking about all that work might seriously demotivate you.

Therefore I suggest a more step by step approach. I'm going to assume this is "PoP Unity - A level viewer in the Unity Engine". When I look at the program as a level viewer, you're actually making good progress. It's still complicated to use, especially without reading the accompanying instructions, and some tiles appear to be missing (like gates), but the program has potential. If you keep working on it and make everything very user-friendly I might use it occasionally.

Some people have asked for a way to get an easy overview of levels in apoplexy (example; Coco also asked this via PM), and apoplexy could theoretically launch an external level viewer for that.

I think my feedback/advice is to focus on really polishing what is currently there before you move on to other things. Try to make it usable without a manual, allow people to use the scroll wheel wherever it makes sense, allow people to drag things where it makes sense, and so on. Then keep asking for feedback and try to improve what's currently there based on the suggestions you receive.

Is the source code only readable with Unity? I didn't find any source code in the ZIP file, but did find a software license that seems to suggest the source code should be available.

[Edit: To prevent misunderstandings, I'm not trying to prevent you from moving forward to features beyond displaying levels. I just know that, frequently it's more fun to work on new stuff than to fix bugs and improve what's already there. And the latter could become a bigger and bigger pile of unappealing work if it's not taken care of first.]
ikazrima
Efendi
Efendi

Post by ikazrima »

Oh my oh my, more than a year since I last posted. :oops:

I kept thinking about the project, but haven't got the time to properly work on it.
Anyways, here's some news

Bad news:
Most probably I'm going to be out of work by the end of this month, as my team had been abolished yesterday. :(

Good news:
I now have tons of experience in game development! :D (Unity specifically)
I've worked as a freelancer and also in a small studio as a developer, gained more tech knowledge and other areas. Released a few games, made lots of prototypes and such.

Moving on:
I'm going to do refresh course on the project, remember how everything works and improve it bit by bit.
First I'll try to replace whatever non-redistribute-able assets with my own code, then host it on Github/Bitbucket.
Then and as Norbert proposed, I'll approach it more like a level viewer / editor first.
After that is settled, I'll study the original code more. Hopefully I can make more sense of it than 3 years before (I really started this in 2014 :mrgreen: )

Even if no one is gonna use it, I'll still improve upon it as this is actually one of the earliest project that I worked on when I started exploring Unity and more professional game development. So now it got that nostalgic value added to it, similar to what I have for PoP :)
agartha
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by agartha »

I also recently started with Unity, and this was the first game that came to mind. Are you interested in sharing the source code / Unity project?
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

agartha wrote:I also recently started with Unity, and this was the first game that came to mind. Are you interested in sharing the source code / Unity project?
There is source code for Prince of persia in C#, that share some script similarity with this one, you can check for it..
agartha
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by agartha »

It's more the Unity part of it that I was interested in. I am familiar with both the SDLPop and Prince-Monogame implementations.