Prince of Persia 2D

Threads about other remakes and ports.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Prince of Persia 2D

Post by Norbert »

Three students used GameMaker: Studio to create an unfinished 2D (non-isometric) version of Prince of Persia 1.

Downloads: https://www.assembla.com/spaces/msfmodd ... /documents
Writings about it: http://marcodonoghue.wordpress.com/cate ... roduction/

Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: Prince of Persia 2D

Post by Andrew »

Nice effort. I just went through the blog and it makes for interesting reading, although I have some observations:
We also quickly realised that assets such as sprites & levels layouts from the original 1989 game were almost impossible to find.

The availability of sprites was also an issue at this stage so in many cases I had to play the free Flash version of the game online & take print screens at different times to capture the different frames of animation of various animated objects!
Aren't the sprite sheets, levels etc. for the DOS, Mac and Flash versions, among others, all available (or extractable via various tools)?
Our main goal was to try & get 200 likes on our Facebook page & create a bit of a buzz around the game in it’s respective community.
Community? Where did they go? This is the first I'm hearing of this, so they certainly didn't manage to make their way here. I'm sure we could have helped drum up some more support for them.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Andrew wrote:Aren't the sprite sheets, levels etc. for the DOS, Mac and Flash versions, among others, all available (or extractable via various tools)?
Yes and no. If it has to be for the Apple II ("original 1989 game"), I don't know of image extraction tools or packages for that one. When it comes to the DOS version, PR can be used to extract images, but the 30 blocks in each room (on each screen) are each made up of multiple images (see page 6 of this document). I can imagine that the first time someone looks at the extracted images, it may all seem so confusing one might think PR isn't working properly. The SNES graphics can be downloaded here, but it has a lot more elements/layers; far more difficult to remake. The level maps for the DOS version are pretty easy to find (also here, here, here, and so on). However, princed.org was down until about May 18th, and what you're quoting is from May 15th/16th. Also, popuw.com was down until June 2012. So, they may have run into several dead sites at the time.
Andrew wrote:Community? Where did they go?
Lots of websites were coincidentally down when they started, it seems. I do remember getting an e-mail via popot.org from someone asking me if the graphics that apoplexy uses are available without the green outline. Maybe it was from one of these folks, I don't remember. Anyways, I've e-mailed Marc and mentioned this thread to him.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

I downloaded v0.8.exe, but it seems to have a serious graphical glitch: Some walls are stretched horizontally to the width of the window. See the attached screenshot.
Attachments
v0.8_bug.PNG