Moderator: English Moderator Team

kieranhj
Efendi
Efendi

Re: Apple II port to BBC Master computer

Post by kieranhj » February 13th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Norbert wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 1:57 am
You're right, picking the BBC Master 128 makes the off-line BeebEm work, thanks.
Fun sword pickup (/guard kill/exit door open) sound effect.
It plays smoothly (minor screen loading, not an issue) and, so far, also seems accurate.
Thanks! I'm glad you got it going. The music comes from the Sega Master System version (as it shares the SN sound chip with the BBC) but I also have a musician helping with the project to make custom sound effects and some new music.
Norbert wrote:
In fighting stance, the sword in waiting (horizontal) position seems invisible (black?).
The potion bubbles need minor changes, for instance the left potion here has blue bubbles, and the bubbles of (big) life potions should be more to the right - more centered above the bottle.
Ahh, I should have called this out - I'm so familiar I just see past it. At the moment the player sprites are half vertical resolution to save memory and have been quickly auto-converted from the Apple II sprite data - this has caused the sword to disappear in some frames. My goal is to get as many as possible back to full resolution (RAM dependent) and they will all be touched up for the BBC screen resolution & palette by our artist.

Thanks for the info about the potion bubbles - is there a standard colour scheme used to indicate what effect each one hsa on the player?
Norbert wrote:
I'd playtest more, but would need:
- an action key on the left side of the keyboard,
- to be able to use cursor keys (either on the numpad or the arrow pad).
That's just for me though; other players may not mind - or even enjoy - the current setup.
I don't like to cross my arms/hands and don't like the angle/slant of the alphanumeric keys.
The latter isn't a problem for the first few levels, but there's no way I'll attempt, for example, level 8 like this. ;)
I think that's a fair point! Updating the keyboard handling has been on my list for a while. The cursor keys on a real BBC machine are not very conveniently placed, so I wasn't going to support them, but you've made me realise that many people won't ever play this on anything other than a PC, so supporting PC style controls makes a lot of sense. I think I'll add SHIFT to also be the action key so there are options on both sides of the keyboard.

The other known issue to be aware of is that saving the game with CTRL-G does work but only if the disc image is not write protected. I have yet to implement error handling so the game will crash if it is unable to write to the disc - not a very handy save game feature! You can turn off disc write protection from the File > Disc Options menu on BeebEm. Load the save game with L on the title screen.

Thanks again for your feedback, it is much appreciated. :cool:

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert » February 13th, 2018, 7:52 pm

kieranhj wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 2:07 pm
Thanks for the info about the potion bubbles - is there a standard colour scheme used to indicate what effect each one hsa on the player?
Yes, see the attached image.
(You can ignore the far left and far right potions.)
The DOS port also has green bubbles, for float and flip.
Norbert wrote:
[...], and the bubbles of (big) life potions should be more to the right - more centered above the bottle.
Hm, actually, even Apple II's red bubbles appear to be too far to the left...
Attachments
Apple_II_potions.png
Apple II potions.

David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David » Yesterday, 2:10 pm

Here's what I found so far:

* I see now there are sounds and music.

* The order of the music in the intro is somewhat different from the DOS version.

* There should be some text before the Jaffar+Princess scene.

* On the demo level, the prince falls into the spikes. Ouch.

* There are no sounds on the demo level, except the beginning of the death music.

* When watching the intro in B-em, the emulator window sometimes changes into an odd narrow shape (while loading?).

* The sound of a gate completely closing can be heard even if that gate is not visible.
Just like in the SNES version: viewtopic.php?f=122&t=4149
kieranhj wrote:
February 13th, 2018, 2:07 pm
The music comes from the Sega Master System version
Ah, so that's why the "echoing" in the title music sounded familiar! :)