SDLPoP; David's open-source port of PoP

Open-source port of PoP that runs natively on Windows, Linux, etc.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Re: David's open-source port of PoP (pre-release)

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for confirming guys. I know it's minor but hopefully David can figure out a fix.

Say, is it right to term an engine recreation using disassembled code a "port"?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

About the black rectangles around the moving objects:
(Note that this happens with all kinds of flashing in the game, but it's more visible with bright flashes.)
The flash is done (in my version) by filling thew onscreen buffer with the color of the flash, and then drawing the offscreen buffer onto it. (see set_bg_attr() in seg009.c)
The problem is that the moving objects (drects) are drawn *after* this (non-transparently). One solution would be to change their order.
Flashing is called from two places:
1. play_level_2() in seg003.c (through flash_if_hurt())
2. proc_cutscene_frame() in seg001.c
Update: I moved the flashing after the redraws in both places. This seems to solve the problem.

Note: I had the opposite problem with guard colors: The images have to be recolored *before* they are drawn.
The DOS version has it easier: Just change the hardware palette registers, and the color changes *immediately* and *everywhere*.
Andrew wrote:Say, is it right to term an engine recreation using disassembled code a "port"?
What are they called usually? Are there any examples?
Perhaps "conversion"?
http://popc64.blogspot.hu/2011/10/prince-of-persia-for-commodore-64128.html wrote: The C64 conversion of Prince of Persia, based on the original Apple II code by Jordan Mechner has been released today.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: I'm testing here and there, and I think it's not possible to do this trick?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYF3OMJeWms#t=372
I found what was wrong.
It's so subtle that it's worth a longer discussion.

Here is the relevant part of the disassembly: (function bumped_floor)

Code: Select all

seg004:0526                 cmp     char_sword, 2
seg004:052B                 jz      loc_586D
seg004:052D                 mov     al, char_curr_row
seg004:0530                 cbw
seg004:0531                 mov     bx, ax
seg004:0533                 shl     bx, 1
seg004:0535                 mov     ax, (y_land+2)[bx]
seg004:0539                 mov     cl, char_y
seg004:053D                 sub     ch, ch
seg004:053F                 sub     ax, cx
seg004:0541                 cmp     ax, 15
seg004:0544                 jb      loc_586D
seg004:0546                 push    cs
seg004:0547                 call    near ptr bumped_fall
seg004:054A                 jmp     return
And how I transcribed it initially: (seg004.c, bumped_floor())

if (char_.sword != 2 && y_land[char_.curr_row + 1] - char_.y >= 15) {
The problem is that "jb" is an *unsigned* comparison.
But the two sides of the comparison are signed. (y_land[...] is short, char_.y is byte, so integer promotion converts both to (signed) int.)
We need to force the comparison to be unsigned.
So the code should look like this:

if (char_.sword != 2 && (word)(y_land[char_.curr_row + 1] - char_.y) >= (word)15) {
Indeed, this change makes the trick possible.
(Though one might say that the new version has a bug, and the older version of the code was the "fix". :) )

Two things helped me:
1. I debugged both versions (SDL and DOS) with a breakpoint placed in bumped_sound().
Then I looked at the backtrace of both, and noticed a difference:
The SDL stacktrace was: bumped -> bumped_floor -> bumped_sound
The DOS was: bumped -> bumped_floor -> bumped_fall -> bumped_sound
That is, bumped_floor has to call bumped_fall in this case. But that call is inside this if-statement, therefore the condition might be wrong.
2. That I already saw this assembly trick elsewhere in the disassembly.
At other places, this seems to be an abbreviation of two comparisons, for example:
(word)distance < (word)90 means distance < 90 && distance >= 0 (by interpreting the two's complement signed numbers as unsigned)
But at this place, it might as well be a bug, perhaps y_land was unsigned originally?
y_land is treated as unsigned in check_hang() and do_fall() (*), but not in sub_70B6().
(*) I will have to rewrite those two as well.
htamas
Efendi
Efendi

Post by htamas »

David wrote: The DOS version has it easier: Just change the hardware palette registers, and the color changes *immediately* and *everywhere*.
It is also possible to do using SDL: you can create an 8-bit offscreen surface, use SDL_SetPalette to change the colors and then blit it to the onscreen surface. Alternatively, you may declare the screen as an 8-bit surface with the SDL_HWPALETTE flag and then you don't need any extra blits.

I would recommend the first approach unless there is a huge difference in performance. My experience is that doing more things on the hardware level makes your program less stable/portable. By the way, your current implementation has the advantage that bitmap resources can be replaced with true color images, which you will lose if you transition to 8-bit surfaces, so again it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons.
Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

David wrote:Update: I moved the flashing after the redraws in both places. This seems to solve the problem.
Nice, looking forward to the next release!
David wrote:
Andrew wrote:Say, is it right to term an engine recreation using disassembled code a "port"?
What are they called usually? Are there any examples?
Perhaps "conversion"?
http://popc64.blogspot.hu/2011/10/prince-of-persia-for-commodore-64128.html wrote: The C64 conversion of Prince of Persia, based on the original Apple II code by Jordan Mechner has been released today.
That sounds fine to me but anyway it is inconsequential. Was just me thinking out loud. Who cares what it's called as long as it works, right? :)

BTW, we need to have a better way of naming/releasing the updates than naming them all PORT_PoP.zip and attaching to subsequent posts. Perhaps PORT_PoP_v1.0α.zip and so on, or with the date or something? Or maybe just keep replacing the one in the first post with the latest release?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

@htamas:
I know that SDL supports paletted surfaces. But I don't think that I should switch to them.
I could make the various palette tricks work with RGB, so the switching wouldn't give anything extra; but as you wrote, modders would lose the ability to use truecolor images.

@Andrew:
Hm... yes, currently we're using this same topic for both releasing and discussing.
So people who only want to download the newest version have to scroll through our descriptions of various bugs. :) -- Assuming that they look further than the first post.
So either we need a separate place just for releases, or replace the attachment in the first post. (Do we want to keep old versions?)
Naming: I could use the date, or, as Norbert said, use version numbers. They could be 1.00, 1.01, 1.02 to emphasize the smallness of the changes.

I tried the level 7 trick on various (accurate) platforms, and it seems that it's not possible everywhere.
Doable: Apple II, DOS, SNES (had to edit the level on SNES)
Not doable: Amiga, Mac, X68000
Maybe just a coincidence, but all platforms in the second row use the 68k CPU.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:So either we need a separate place just for releases, or replace the attachment in the first post.
I've updated your first post to include a link to your post with the latest version.
I'll keep updating that link and will make sure it always points to the latest release, even if you start another thread about a newer release.
This should solve the problem for now.
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

This open source contains all the game graphics, effects and sounds, and where can i get it???
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

salvadorc17 wrote:This open source contains all the game graphics, effects and sounds, and where can i get it???
download/file.php?id=546
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

Hope that you will be able to do some extra stuff in this pop open source, like fighting two guards in same room, and different trigger events, this is possible in the net version im using...

Andrew
Wise Scribe
Wise Scribe

Post by Andrew »

salvadorc17 wrote:Hope that you will be able to do some extra stuff in this pop open source, like fighting two guards in same room, and different trigger events, this is possible in the net version im using...
This is an interesting point to consider. Would people prefer a version that will work on modern OSes but maintain fidelity and be faithful to the original as far as possible (i.e. bugs and all), or one that fixes known bugs (and no doubt introduces new ones!) and also adds new features?

If at all new features are to be added then personally I'd prefer two separate branches because the original experience is something unique and should be maintained IMO. If you've ever played and appreciated Chocolate Doom as opposed to the numerous other enhanced source ports of the game, you'll know exactly what I mean. :)
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Shouldn't be too difficult to add a command line option that allows users to fix bugs.
The default - when not using the command line option - could then be as the original (official) game.
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

But you can add new ingame features??? for improve gameplay...
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

salvadorc17 wrote:But you can add new ingame features??? for improve gameplay...
Sure, it's just a matter of investing time and energy.
I may dive into David's code at some point, for example to add game controller support.
Lots of fun things possible. :)
salvadorc17
Calif
Calif

Post by salvadorc17 »

What do you used to compile this port??? is purely c++???