Can someone tell me the exact movements for the Level 4 trick?

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
Stutav
Efendi
Efendi

Can someone tell me the exact movements for the Level 4 trick?

Post by Stutav »

At the start of Level 4, people are somehow able to make the guard turn around and open a closed gate. I cannot seem to do this. What are the movements for this trick, I watched a video which doesn't work.
Causes a pro-cat revolution in Doggerland
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Can someone tell me the exact movements for the Level 4 trick?

Post by Norbert »

Stutav wrote: October 16th, 2020, 12:36 am At the start of Level 4, people are somehow able to make the guard turn around and open a closed gate. I cannot seem to do this. What are the movements for this trick, I watched a video which doesn't work.
Stand next to the gate. Bump into it. Turn left. Hold down right for a short while, then press left.
As such:

When you're learning this trick, it's best to not practice it at the start of level 4, because that gate is right near the transition between rooms 1 and 2, and this may result in confusing screen switching when attempting the trick. Simply create your own custom room for practicing, with the gate and button in the middle of that room.
atrueprincefanfrom18
Site Shah
Site Shah

Post by atrueprincefanfrom18 »

Norbert wrote: October 16th, 2020, 12:53 pm Simply create your own custom room for practicing
Yes, Stutav that's right, it's correct for all tricks.
Stutav wrote: October 16th, 2020, 12:36 am What are the movements for this trick, I watched a video which doesn't work.
The problem with this trick is that the room shown on the screen should be the same. As the gate is in one room (technically) and the raise button in a different, the screen shown need to be where the raise button is there.

And in general, timing and distance are the keys to be able to successfully accomplish the trick. If you are not able to do it, try again with different timing or different distance. Try inching forward, with short run and crawl, or just crawl or just jump, or inching forward with up key, and/or combination of two or more.
Love to create new MODS :)

My complete list of mods until now!

My channel. Do consider subscribing it! :)
dmitrys
Developer
Developer

Post by dmitrys »

Most speed run videos show kid jumping up, crouching twice while moving forward then running to the gate. It saves them a fraction of a second vs the second way described below.

The easiest way, as mentioned by atrueprincefanfrom18, is to bump into the gate, turn around then hold the right arrow for a second to start running. I have a video that shows how to do that on level 4 in a mod where the tile buttons were modified (at 00:10).