Question about MIDI instrumentation

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
Blastfrog
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Question about MIDI instrumentation

Post by Blastfrog »

I came across this forum (and SDLPoP) and immediately became interested.

I want to make my own MIDI renditions of the music with soundfonts to use in SDLPoP, so I ripped the MIDIs from the game, but found that the instrumentation was not GM standard (predictably, as it's a DOS game with Adlib). I know the game supported the MT-32, and the Mac version had sample based instruments as well.

Is there any way I can learn what all of the instruments are supposed to be so I can reassign the instruments to GM? The channels are often labeled stuff like "melody" and rarely instrument names.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Question about MIDI instrumentation

Post by Norbert »

Blastfrog wrote:instrumentation was not GM standard
Are you sure it's not?

When I open "arrived to princess.mid" with Ardour, the first channel seems to start with instrument 14(+1) of bank 0(+1), which according to the gm-level-1-sound-set is Tubular Bells.

This matches what
timidity --verbose=1 "arrived to princess.mid"
tells me, namely "Tonebank 0 14: Tone_000/014_Tubular_Bells.pat".

I guess maybe what you're saying is that instead of Tubular Bells it's using something else there?
Attachments
arrived to princess.mid
arrived to princess.mid
Blastfrog
Scholar Scribe
Scholar Scribe

Post by Blastfrog »

Well, there's some instruments that are rarely labeled, the title screen music has a channel called "comp/tympani", being piano 1 and electric piano 1. They all sound pretty messed up in GM anyway IMO.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Blastfrog wrote:Is there any way I can learn what all of the instruments are supposed to be so I can reassign the instruments to GM? The channels are often labeled stuff like "melody" and rarely instrument names.
You could try this: Make a MIDI that plays something using a single instrument. Then import it to a DAT and listen how it sounds within the game.
Norbert wrote:When I open "arrived to princess.mid" with Ardour, the first channel seems to start with instrument 14(+1) of bank 0(+1), which according to the gm-level-1-sound-set is Tubular Bells.
The problem is that the MIDI player built into PoP uses its own instruments ("midi info" in prince.dat), not the General Midi instruments.
Blastfrog wrote:I know the game supported the MT-32, and the Mac version had sample based instruments as well.
Yes, but those aren't General Midi instruments, either.