Places where you can get stuck

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Places where you can get stuck

Post by David »

I was searching for places in PoP1 DOS where you *need* Ctrl+A, i.e. you can't finish the level, and can't die either.

Just to clarify, this does not really have any practical value. It's only for amusement. :)

I looked only at the original levels, and without using cheats.
Otherwise it would be too easy to press Shift+W and float onto the bottom of a chasm (without spikes) and then get stuck. :)

This is what I found:

Level 2:
stuck_level_2.png
stuck_level_2.png (4.61 KiB) Viewed 6540 times
This chasm is shallow enough so that the Prince won't die if you climb down (he loses only one HP), but deep enough so that you can't climb out.

Level 9:
stuck_level_9.png
stuck_level_9.png (4.57 KiB) Viewed 6540 times
Getting stuck in this room is also mentioned in the FAQ: https://www.popot.org/walkthroughs/docu ... Q_v1_6.txt
Eizaz Azhar wrote: The path downwards leads to 2 gates and a cutter protecting a switch.
The switch opens the gate on the left, and the switch in the gate opens the gate on the right.
If the gate on the left closes before you get out, press CTRL+A.
You're officially stuck.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: Places where you can get stuck

Post by Norbert »

Fun idea.
Here are two more.
[Edit: Although... suicide is still an option here.]

Last edited by Norbert on July 23rd, 2017, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Another.
(Of course, guards can be used like this in several more places. I won't list them all.)

Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

There are also more complicated ways to get stuck.

In level 7, two examples:
- In room 7, drop the loose tile on the drop button. This will close the left gate there. By closing it, the gate will now slowly close after it has been re-opened by the raise button in that room. Now simply drink the float potion, go down, all the way around, make sure you have only 1 HP left. Then get stuck after the aforementioned gate with only 1 HP and no float potion. Suicide is an option here.
- In room 6, drop the loose tile on the raise button. Then in the room to the right use the drop button. Now go all the way around again to re-enter this section. You won't be able to open any gates. Suicide is also an option here, but a bit more complicated.

Yeah, using my brain here. :)

Oh, and in level 8, after the mouse has opened the gate, you could wait for it to close again.
Still chompers there for suicide though.

Spikes for suicide here:
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Norbert wrote: Fun idea.
Well, this is certainly an unintended usage of the game! :)

Someone on the PoPUW forum once compared PoP to chess. You know, with many variations from only a few pieces.
Then trying to get stuck on purpose is somewhat like a Fairy chess problem? :)

Another "useless but amusing" trick was this: viewtopic.php?p=18161#p18161

(level 4 orange guard)
Nice find.
Looks like the left-side spikes won't hurt the prince either.
They are harmful only when they come out, but they won't even retreat in this situation because of the guard.
It's the third "solution" to the stricter problem (can't finish or die) then.
Norbert wrote: (Of course, guards can be used like this in several more places. I won't list them all.)
Well, there are some more guards that you can push into spikes on levels 8,9,11.
But if you climb down into those spikes you can always get out of them. (See screenshots below.)
Or did I miss something?
spiked_guards.png
If guards did not disappear when they fall out of the room, then there would be more spike-able guards.
Fox example, on level 5.
Norbert wrote: - In room 6, drop the loose tile on the raise button. Then in the room to the right use the drop button. Now go all the way around again to re-enter this section. You won't be able to open any gates.
Yes, that was also mentioned in the FAQ/Walkthrough: https://www.popot.org/walkthroughs/docu ... Q_v1_6.txt
Eizaz Azhar wrote: If you do get stuck in there AGAIN, that's it. I give up. Go ahead and press CTRL+A.
You can still escape, but that's only if you didn't drop on the loose slabs on the switch to open the escape gate, near the LEP.
I made a screenshot-montage of this:
stuck_level_7.png
Norbert wrote: Suicide is also an option here, but a bit more complicated.
You have to repeatedly run-jump into that wall:
stuck_level_7_died.png
stuck_level_7_died.png (4.03 KiB) Viewed 6485 times
Ouch.

Finally, I found another place to get stuck, on level 11:
stuck_level_11.png
You need to break the top loose floor first, and the bottom one next.
I remember I already found this earlier, accidentally. :)

There is just not enough space to fall two rows to lose HP and die, or to run-jump into the wall.
Also, if you pull a trick 1 on the top button, it will open only the gate at the top-left of the image.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

David wrote:Finally, I found another place to get stuck, on level 11:
stuck_level_11.png
You need to break the top loose floor first, and the bottom one next.
I remember I already found this earlier, accidentally. :)

There is just not enough space to fall two rows to lose HP and die, or to run-jump into the wall.
Also, if you pull a trick 1 on the top button, it will open only the gate at the top-left of the image.
There is a way to commit suicide there!
You can bump away backwards from the gate at the top floor, causing you to end up at the leftmost edge of the tile. Then, if you jump up (facing right), you'll fall down :)
Attachments
Level 10 suicide.p1r
(3.08 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

David wrote:But if you climb down into those spikes you can always get out of them.
Oh, I thought there had to be more, but apparently not.
David wrote:You have to repeatedly run-jump into that wall: [...]
Yep, that's it. :)
Falcury wrote:[...], you'll fall down :)
Nice solution.
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Another in level 2 (suicide possible):

Also, in level 4, if you first drop the loose of room 9 on the raise in room 18, then the loose of room 16 on the raise in room 17, then use the drop in room 9 and jump down there. You will not be able to continue, because the path at the top is blocked by a gate and the path at the bottom by a guard you cannot jump to without dying.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Another way to get stuck is to make a guard push you off a ledge, in a way that you can't climb up.
stuck_level_6_guard.png
stuck_level_6_guard.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
If I climb up here, the guard won't kill the prince, just push him back into the pit so I can grab the ledge again.
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

David wrote:Another way to get stuck is to make a guard push you off a ledge, in a way that you can't climb up.
Hey, maybe that principle can be used to find another situation where suicide isn't an option?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Falcury wrote:Hey, maybe that principle can be used to find another situation where suicide isn't an option?
I tried that in the rightmost room of level 11, but the guard will just follow the prince down.

Another similar place is on the level 2, with the first guard and the place with the potion.
The problem is the same, and even if the guard did not follow down, the prince could just climb out on the left side.

If I put spikes into the pit on level 11 (and remove the loose floor), then the guard will not follow the prince, but then the spikes make dying possible.

A few other findings:

* Level 3: From the skeleton, drop down instead of opening the exit.
You can't get up there again, because you broke the loose floor needed for the jump.
Or just break that loose floor without jumping.
Dying is possible.
stuck_level_3.png
stuck_level_3.png (3.42 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
* Level 8: Kill the rightmost guard onto the opener. Then 3 rooms to the left, press the closer. Then drop down.
You can't open those gates again.
Dying is possible.
stuck_level_8_dead.png
stuck_level_8_dead.png (3.73 KiB) Viewed 6264 times
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

If you manage to push the first guard in level 7 through the chomper, you can create this situation where you're stuck without the option of suicide:
Level 7 stuck.png
Level 7 stuck.png (9.38 KiB) Viewed 6232 times
Unfortunately, I needed cheats to get to this point.
The problem is, it becomes impossible (I think) to pass the guard after you've pushed him through the chomper. (Well, you can pass him, but then he turns around and gets sliced...) So I had to go back, and use the feather fall cheat to get to the right side of the guard and lure him further to the right.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

Falcury wrote: September 23rd, 2017, 7:57 pm If you manage to push the first guard in level 7 through the chomper, you can create this situation where you're stuck without the option of suicide:
[...]
Unfortunately, I needed cheats to get to this point.
I had a similar idea on level 7, with a similar problem:
First push the guard through the chomper (that's trick 102 btw), and kill him on the opener button. Then press the closer button.
But I had to use cheats to kill the guard on the button.
stuck_level_9_chomper_guard_CHEAT.png
stuck_level_9_chomper_guard_CHEAT.png (3.91 KiB) Viewed 6225 times
If I recall correctly, the problem is that:
* If the guard had only 1 HP then he died not on the button, but on its left side.
* If he had more HP then I can't kill him (without cheats). He kills me when I step through the chomper. Or maybe the chomper slices him, as Falcury wrote. I don't remember.
Hmmm, maybe if I went around instead?
Norbert
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by Norbert »

Aram
Calif
Calif

Post by Aram »

:idea: :idea:
Attachments
Capture.JPG
If I don't answer, contact me at this address.
My e-mail: aram.sev055@gmail.com