The Fighting Styles

Discuss PoP1 for DOS here.
Akruzen
Developer
Developer

The Fighting Styles

Post by Akruzen »

Hello Everyone!

By playing mods of POP 1, we must have developed our own method of killing/evading the guards. Some like to fight aggressively while some prefer to just run away. As we all know, Prince of Persia may not have been so interesting in the absence of the guards. We do like to fight guards though there is an option of escaping them, don't we? So come on! Whats your style? Post your videos here!
Here are some of the common styles:

Aggression

Playing with Fun

Hit n Run

Defence

Waiting for your style videos! ;) :D
What if life is a video game and Déjà Vu are just checkpoints?
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Re: The Fighting Styles

Post by David »

I guess I'd lure this guard to the left and then repeatedly push him against the wall until he dies. :twisted:

But yeah, "Hit n Run" is faster.
Akruzen
Developer
Developer

Post by Akruzen »

David wrote:I guess I'd lure this guard to the left and then repeatedly push him against the wall until he dies. :twisted:
Yeah that one I forgot...but in this case since there is no room to the right the prince puts his sword back. :) You can see in one of the videos that the game "hangs" and I had to restart the level.
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

princeomkar wrote:
David wrote:I guess I'd lure this guard to the left and then repeatedly push him against the wall until he dies. :twisted:
Yeah that one I forgot...but in this case since there is no room to the right the prince puts his sword back. :)
Then, one way to get past the guard is to push him there, and the game will make him inactive.
I meant the wall on the left, BTW.

The "Playing with Fun" video starts with one seconds of non-moving. Why is that?

Also, the gate seems to be somewhat glitched.
It looks like the side effect of this hack: viewtopic.php?p=13944#p13944
Falcury
Calif
Calif

Post by Falcury »

There's also something strange going on at the end of the last video ("Defence"). I don't think I've seen that glitch before...

When I first starting playing PoP, I used to defeat all guards by waiting for them to advance and timing the sword hit precisely. That was a safe strategy and worked for all guards, except for the dark blue guard in level 8.
These days I am much more impatient and I usually fight aggressively :P Or I use the "Hit 'n Run" method.

Edit: I moved the thread to the Prince of Persia 1 for DOS forum.
Akruzen
Developer
Developer

Post by Akruzen »

David wrote: I meant the wall on the left, BTW.
Oh sorry I thought the curtain on the right... :oops:
David wrote: The "Playing with Fun" video starts with one seconds of non-moving. Why is that?
It's because I started the video when the game was paused. For this style, I needed some sufficient space for fighting and you saw what happened to prince in last few seconds of "defence" video. I didn't want to happen that again so I went to extreme left possible in that room; paused the game; and then started the video.
David wrote: Also, the gate seems to be somewhat glitched.
It looks like the side effect of this hack: viewtopic.php?p=13944#p13944
Actually, I took the 'prince.exe.' file from my mod POP Guard Revolt. I had ticked the "When a gate is under another gate, the top of the bottom gate is not visible" option in the web-based version of CusPop during making of that mod. But I thought that this error was unavoidable if we want to enable that option so I played my mods ignoring the bug.
Akruzen
Developer
Developer

Post by Akruzen »

Falcury wrote:There's also something strange going on at the end of the last video ("Defence"). I don't think I've seen that glitch before...
The bug can also be seen if you take a jump from a particular point to the right to enter the next room (to the right) but we have placed no room there. That is, the prince crouches (like the one when he jumps 1 floor down) falling a few tiles back and not entering the room. You can see this video where the bug is used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhwBdDe6WWI (Time: 1:03)
Falcury wrote: When I first starting playing PoP, I used to defeat all guards by waiting for them to advance and timing the sword hit precisely. That was a safe strategy and worked for all guards, except for the dark blue guard in level 8.
These days I am much more impatient and I usually fight aggressively :P Or I use the "Hit 'n Run" method.
Same here!! :D :D
David
The Prince of Persia
The Prince of Persia

Post by David »

princeomkar wrote: The bug can also be seen if you take a jump from a particular point to the right to enter the next room (to the right) but we have placed no room there. That is, the prince crouches (like the one when he jumps 1 floor down) falling a few tiles back and not entering the room.
I think I have seen that somewhere...
princeomkar wrote: You can see this video where the bug is used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhwBdDe6WWI (Time: 1:03)
BTW, YouTube has an option to "Copy video URL at current time" if you right-click the video.